Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times

Advertisements

If you could fix any problem in, what would it take to fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM

8,244 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrell Park View Post
Morrell Park seems to be a handful of working class white neighborhoods in Baltimore that has been shunned by middle and upper class whites moving back to the city. Most of the Gentry are moving into canto Hamden Woodberry and not to similar neighborhoods south of 95 like lakeside Curtis bay and Brooklyn. The anomalys are parts of pigtown/swebo which is seeing innin patches and violetville near St Agnes which is not gentrifying nor falling apart either ..relatively stable

Morrell Park seems to follow other challenged neighborhoods in terms of property crime blight and drug abuse though it doesn't appear to reflect the city violent homicides. That it will likely not improve in the near future as it is not on the water surrounded by noxious uses and its housing the stock doesn't seem notable as it can be found in other areas like Hamden or even Hamilton that are more desirable ...I am not trying to knock it down but it does have some location challenges that will be hard to over come ...it won't become a west Baltimore but there are plenty of other areas in the rapidly deindustrializing SE especially around Highlandtown and Greek town still available for those that want what morrell could offer and a more solid investment....Morrell did defend off the CSX railyard expansion and that incinerator expansion so they have a fairly active citizenry so there is still hope maybe with improvements to middle branch

Old 02-13-2020, 09:12 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrell Park View Post
I google mapped Morrell Park and noticed that it didn't really have a cohesive commercial district or downtown area along Washington Blvd where local residents can walk block after block and shop, eat or otherwise engage in social entertainment activities. A vibrant downtown area could spur further development. Just take a look at SE Baltimore from Harbor East to Canton/Highlandtown and the H Street Corridor in DC.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:02 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
^
Yeah, wander around Washington BLVD.........

As soon as you cross MLK you are in the hood!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:39 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Morrell Park is working class or poor whites and blacks. Pretty evenly. The wife and I almost moved there before settling in Highlandtown in a more expensive town home.

We then went back down to the MP price point but in Baltimore Highlands near Fayette and Conkling. Overall im glad were in Baltimore Highlands over Morrell Park which is not near anything interesting and seems more depressed and less vibrant than Baltimore Highlands.

Id only take it over McElderry Park when thinking over neighborhoods in my immediate vicinity and even still, thats close. Ideally i'd like to get to Barclay.

Morrell Park need a street beautification program, road diet, constant police presence on washington boulevard. The area near the train tracks has some vacant land currently for sale and a big old storage area-that need to be redeveloped Clipper Mill/Hampden style.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:26 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

...Baltimore Highlands near Fayette and Conkling.
I didn't know that there was another local neighborhood called Baltimore Highlands (often pronounced as "Balmer Hollans"). I only knew of the area in southern Baltimore County between the Patapsco River and Patapsco Avenue, along Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd., being called by that name.

I worked in Morrell Park for a few years in the early '80s. Too bad Tangier Seafood isn't in business anymore. That place was great.

Old 02-14-2020, 03:47 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I didn't know that there was another local neighborhood called Baltimore Highlands (often pronounced as "Balmer Hollans"). I only knew of the area in southern Baltimore County between the Patapsco River and Patapsco Avenue, along Baltimore-Annapolis Blvd., being called by that name.

I worked in Morrell Park for a few years in the early '80s. Too bad Tangier Seafood isn't in business anymore. That place was great.
I thought the distinction was the in-city BH was singular while the one by the river was plural ... I could be wrong

Old 02-14-2020, 07:15 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Morrell Park is working class or poor whites and blacks. Pretty evenly. The wife and I almost moved there before settling in Highlandtown in a more expensive town home.

We then went back down to the MP price point but in Baltimore Highlands near Fayette and Conkling. Overall im glad were in Baltimore Highlands over Morrell Park which is not near anything interesting and seems more depressed and less vibrant than Baltimore Highlands.

Id only take it over McElderry Park when thinking over neighborhoods in my immediate vicinity and even still, thats close. Ideally i'd like to get to Barclay.

Morrell Park need a street beautification program, road diet, constant police presence on washington boulevard. The area near the train tracks has some vacant land currently for sale and a big old storage area-that need to be redeveloped Clipper Mill/Hampden style.
The intersection of Fayette and Conkling is in the community of Highlandtown, in East Baltimore. Baltimore Highlands is a community in Southwest Baltimore by the river and the city line. It is about eight or nine miles away from Highlandtown.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The intersection of Fayette and Conkling is in the community of Highlandtown, in East Baltimore. Baltimore Highlands is a community in Southwest Baltimore by the river and the city line. It is about eight or nine miles away from Highlandtown.
The area sometimes known as Baltimore Highland ... is Around the intersection of Baltimore and highland streets

Old 02-18-2020, 06:30 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

yea we've got a whole sign and everything. Small neighborhood of 2k people just north of highlandtown. its on a map of city neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore