Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,308 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm thinking of moving to Baltimore. Been looking at some affordable houses in higher crime areas. Does anyone have experience living in these areas? Wondering if its possible to live in these areas if you take the right precautions.

As a side note I lived in Rio De Janeiro, which has one of the highest crime rates in the world and managed.

I'm just wondering if some of the stats are overblown, especially by people who have not lived in these types of neighborhoods or come from wealthier backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 04:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,517,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yirehey936 View Post
I'm thinking of moving to Baltimore.
Which one? The gritty City or the grassy County?
(They are legally separate government entities)

Quote:
Been looking at some affordable houses in higher crime areas.
Does anyone have experience living in these areas?
Wondering if its possible to live in these areas if you take the right precautions.
Do you feel you have something to prove?

Quote:
I'm just wondering if some of the stats are overblown...
Of course they are. But that doesn't mean there aren't real underlying truths as well.

How about this: Rent something modest, perhaps even share with someone else,
and do so well outside and away from the inner grittier areas and then trek into
the City as needed, commute to work, school etc to do whatever it is you do.

Take some time to make some friends and learn your way around well enough that
YOU can answer the sort of questions you've raised from your own experience.
THEN start looking for where in the City you might want to buy or just to rent.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:51 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,052,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yirehey936 View Post
Hello all,

I'm thinking of moving to Baltimore. Been looking at some affordable houses in higher crime areas. Does anyone have experience living in these areas? Wondering if its possible to live in these areas if you take the right precautions.

As a side note I lived in Rio De Janeiro, which has one of the highest crime rates in the world and managed.

I'm just wondering if some of the stats are overblown, especially by people who have not lived in these types of neighborhoods or come from wealthier backgrounds.
You are going to have to tell us what areas you are referring to in order for us to tell you if we have any experience living in these areas. It would also help if you told us other places you have lived besides the most crime ridden city in this hemisphere.

Last edited by james777; 05-24-2020 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM

21,433 posts, read 12,446,803 times
I live in Baltimore Highland just north of Highlandtown. It’s fairly high crime and affordable. It’s been a rig aside from crackhead or prostitutes arguing on my street or in the alley. Once I had a prostitute chilling in my front steps I heard her told her to leave and she did.

Now when I lived a few block south in Highlandtown it was worse. Tons of drug dealers and police Detectives came to my house twice asking if my video camera caught the homicide on tape...that was within the first 6 months. The camera was just a decoy my landlord had. I had to move.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:22 PM

8,147 posts, read 13,204,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I live in Baltimore Highland just north of Highlandtown. It’s fairly high crime and affordable. It’s been a rig aside from crackhead or prostitutes arguing on my street or in the alley. Once I had a prostitute chilling in my front steps I heard her told her to leave and she did.

Now when I lived a few block south in Highlandtown it was worse. Tons of drug dealers and police Detectives came to my house twice asking if my video camera caught the homicide on tape...that was within the first 6 months. The camera was just a decoy my landlord had. I had to move.
Is Baltimore Highlands north of East Baltimore or East Lombard? And how far west would you say it is...I thought Highlandtown was one one of the up and coming areas of SE Baltimore with spillover from Patterson Park and Canton.... Greektown is also seeing some improvements ...so it is somewhat surrounded. Lots of new townhomes and apartments going in that area and out to Bayview

Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 PM

1,090 posts, read 581,121 times
Do not, I repeat do not voluntarily move into the disaster that is Baltimore City.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:21 PM

450 posts, read 793,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Is Baltimore Highlands north of East Baltimore or East Lombard? And how far west would you say it is...I thought Highlandtown was one one of the up and coming areas of SE Baltimore with spillover from Patterson Park and Canton.... Greektown is also seeing some improvements ...so it is somewhat surrounded. Lots of new townhomes and apartments going in that area and out to Bayview

Baltimore Highlands is a community in southwest Baltimore county. This area is Highlandtown as far as I know. I've talked to natives of this area and calling it Baltimore Highlands has no traditional or historical basis.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 PM

44,979 posts, read 59,955,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
Baltimore Highlands is a community in southwest Baltimore county. This area is Highlandtown as far as I know. I've talked to natives of this area and calling it Baltimore Highlands has no traditional or historical basis.
That sounds like a North Bethesda (Rockville) kind of thing.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,052,826 times
Quote:
I have said exactly the same thing on this forum, but it falls on deaf ears.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:59 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,517,928 times
Quote:
Baltimore Highlands is a community in southwest Baltimore county.
Brooklyn and the north end of AA County are neighbors. Map Link

Quote:
This area is Highlandtown as far as I know.
Nope. That's EAST Baltimore.
Near Patterson Pk JHMI etc Map Link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore