Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 12:22 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times

Advertisements

I'm from Arizona and will be arriving at BWI on Thursday. When I was in Annapolis about 8 yrs ago, I recall going to a Sam's Club there and no wine was sold because apparently it was a "dry" county. I'm going fly-fishing in SE PA and wanted to stop by the Costco at Arundel Mills Mall or the one in Elkridge on my way out and was wondering if they sold wine? What are wine prices like in MD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM

9 posts, read 43,313 times
Unfortunately, no store in Maryland that looks, feels, or smells like a grocery store is allowed to sell wine, unless it was grandfathered in a loooong time ago.

-jbn

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times
Wow, that's too bad. Where do you purchase alcoholic beverages then?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default No worries

No one has ever gone thirsty in Maryland, not during Prohibition, not now. Just go to a liquor store and stock up.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:58 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
You can either buy from them liquor stores or those grandfather in grocery store or bar..you can purchase package goods thru bars but it might cost a little more

Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
I concur with Barante. There are no dry counties in MD. In fact, I think it's state law that no county can have restrictions that are stricter than the state's. Other than the fact that you can't buy booze at a grocery store and can't have alcohol shipped directly to your home from another state, MD has pretty relaxed liquor laws and lower taxes on it than many other states I've been to. Just look at neighboring Pennsylvania, where you have to go to two different stores if you have the crazy notion of serving both beer and wine at a party.

Near BWI you should be able to find a full-service liquor store in one of the many strip malls that dot the landscape. If you're headed to PA, Beltway Spirits just off the Loch Raven Blvd. exit of I-698 has a very large selection.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM

45 posts, read 183,158 times
Default Sunday Liquor Sales

If I'm not mistaking Maryland doesn't sell liquor on Sundays, but hasn't there been talks about changing that? I'm in Denver and we the Gov. just signed the bill allowing sales on Sundays starting in July. The same month I'm moving here. i always thought that was silly, what is the point in banning liquor sales on Sundays?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeDenver View Post
If I'm not mistaking Maryland doesn't sell liquor on Sundays, but hasn't there been talks about changing that? I'm in Denver and we the Gov. just signed the bill allowing sales on Sundays starting in July. The same month I'm moving here. i always thought that was silly, what is the point in banning liquor sales on Sundays?
Yes and no. Here in Baltimore City, you can get a liquor license that includes sales on Sundays. I have no idea what the criteria is...but I do know some of the local taverns are open on Sundays and sell "off-premises".

Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
7-day licenses aren't the norm, but I know of several stores in the city and county that are open on Sundays. Plus, as myselfdotcom suggested, you can always go to a bar and get carryout any day of the week if you're willing to pay a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: