U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 01:25 PM

36,561 posts, read 47,190,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Yeah, that's why Harris has half the state.......
I thought you said that land doesn't vote.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 01:28 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,125,357 times
^

Old 08-30-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
^
You said, or maybe implied, that Andy Harris represented half the State.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:25 PM

2,018 posts, read 1,974,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have to remember the purpose, plainly stated by Governors Glendenning, O'Malley and the State Senate President Thomas V. "Mike" Miller, which was to totally eliminate any Republican Congressmen coming from Maryland.
Didn't do a great job considering Harris is sitting at R+14. The other 7 districts combine for a D+114, so you'd think Dems could have done a half-decent job of rigging and pretty easily grabbed all 8 seats. I guess projecting a few elections out is a bit tough, but still.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:45 PM

16,849 posts, read 6,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maybe. But the ad did what ads are supposed to-got your attention.

Yes but not in a good way .

Old 08-30-2020, 05:52 PM

5,601 posts, read 8,955,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Didn't do a great job considering Harris is sitting at R+14. The other 7 districts combine for a D+114, so you'd think Dems could have done a half-decent job of rigging and pretty easily grabbed all 8 seats. I guess projecting a few elections out is a bit tough, but still.
Oh gosh......what was her name.....Donna Edwards I think had something to do with the final decision. I recall two different proposals. One, which was pretty close to the map we see today, packed as many GOP folks into the 1st district as possible, thus making sure the other 7 went blue.

The other created the possibility for an 8-0 split, but some combination of Edwards complaints, the fear that the 6th wasn't securely enough blue, and and even worse looking map than we currently have, prevented it. Maybe NBP remembers more about the specifics and how Edwards was involved.

Frederick County's continual march from red to purple to blue (sooner than you might think) will likely give the Dems another shot in 2020. The 6th doesn't need that much of Montgomery County to stay safely Democrat. D +6 is an underestimation, IMO, of the reality on the ground. The GOP has performed poorly in the 6th, save the super low turnout 2014 cycle.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Oh gosh......what was her name.....Donna Edwards I think had something to do with the final decision. I recall two different proposals. One, which was pretty close to the map we see today, packed as many GOP folks into the 1st district as possible, thus making sure the other 7 went blue.

The other created the possibility for an 8-0 split, but some combination of Edwards complaints, the fear that the 6th wasn't securely enough blue, and and even worse looking map than we currently have, prevented it. Maybe NBP remembers more about the specifics and how Edwards was involved.

Frederick County's continual march from red to purple to blue (sooner than you might think) will likely give the Dems another shot in 2020. The 6th doesn't need that much of Montgomery County to stay safely Democrat. D +6 is an underestimation, IMO, of the reality on the ground. The GOP has performed poorly in the 6th, save the super low turnout 2014 cycle.
Edwards was involved because, since she didn't play well with others, her district was redrawn in such a way that she thought, with reason, that she would be challenged and defeated in the primary.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-30-2020 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
They could have drawn it in such a way that that district could have been Democratic but that map would have put another Congressman, I think either Ruppersberger or Sarbanes, at risk. Also remember that district did elect a Democrat in 2008 when Gilchrist was knocked out in the primary by Harris.

Before Gilchrist was elected Roy Dyson (D) from St. Mary's was the Congressman (that was when SoMD was in the district with the Eastern Shore). He had some, let's call them personal issues, which led to his defeat by Gilchrist.

Dyson was elected in 1980 when the previous Congressman, Republican Robert Bauman, was arrested for soliciting sex from a sixteen year male prostitute (I think it might have been at the Iwo Jima Memorial).

EDIT:
Don't ask me how I remember this ****, I just do.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:13 AM

768 posts, read 262,164 times
Apparently, Trump tweeted something favorable about Klacik, and Republicans are complaining that he doesn't tweet about people who have a real chance of winning.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Apparently, Trump tweeted something favorable about Klacik, and Republicans are complaining that he doesn't tweet about people who have a real chance of winning.
Are they, or is that just more imaginings?

Bottom line on this is that Republicans are accused of not being inclusive and then, when a minority candidate appears as a Republican, that candidate is pilloried by Democrats as a token.

It happens in state after state across the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore