U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:35 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,125,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I was down at the Inner Harbor last week and had a chance to walk around the water before grabbing some lunch at Chick Fila... I can say was slightly depressed at the number of vacancies in the waterfront Pavilions. Most of the people there were either joggers, pedestrians in transit, or homeless. I moved here 16 years ago and can see the stark contract between then and now.. I am sure folks that have lived here longer have likely seen even greater changes. I hope they can come up with a plan to change the place.. Again its a nice location/site but other than the waterfront views and open space.. there is no reason to go down there.. Everything seems to be shifting over to Harbor East/Fells Pt. There you have way more pedestrian activity and "synergy" than over at IH. There are numerous reasons I think that has happened mostly thanks to the City leaders the other being geography.. Its easier to control movement in and out of peninsulas and points than a straight waterfronts that have not control points and are surround by and include mixed uses of residential and retail to keep them active throughout most times of the day and night. IH just doesnt have that and is mostly a office/commercial area.... but the areas definitely have a stark contrast with each other.
Just figuring it out? 2003 is when they nearly completed Harbor East. Just a few years after they tore down Flag House Courts High Rise. Like to see you saunter over there through what was a myriad of mostly empty parking lots where Harbor East is now.
The crazies from Flag House Courts wouldn't dare cross over into little Italy. But they could be sitting along the long walk way which still has remnants along the water where Harbor East is now.
There was a very small Bar Pier that jetted out off in the distance that I would wander into once in a while. Damn I can't remember the name of that place.

And yet all you have to do is cross Eastern Avenue and you are in the projects...

Harbor Place is a Fossilized Dinosaur.

There are more options in the suburbs than before. Property taxes are much higher in the city than they
were.

The city has struggled to recover from the Riots of 2015. (It can't be mentioned enough how bad that was for the city)

Out of state ownership. Banks, management companies own these places. They can sit empty.
I see it out here with places that have a past due stamp on them near all these sh*tty apartments.

You need local ownership. Something the City has had a problem with forever for obvious reasons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore