U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 5,266 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some guidance-considering a relocation to Baltimore County from Allentown, PA-looking to be closer to my wife's family. I am a 35 year old high school teacher, and my wife works HR for a non profit. We have a 2.5 year old son- and we are def looking for a safe community with good schools first and foremost-( this is the most important!) good commutability into the city, and preferably a little bit of green space around ( parks/ waterfront/ hiking trails, etc. Looking to buy a home for less than 300k ( townhome or stand-alone)

So far it seems like some of the northern suburbs of Baltimore are nice- and check many of these boxes, such as Cockeysville, Notthinham, and even to the south suburbs like Glen Burnie and Catonsville- any other towns you would recommend?

Thank you in advance-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Timonium, Lutherville.

You want to be north! Forget about south, and west.

You might squeak by on your budget, but you may need more $'s.

Lot's of Townhomes in Cockeysville.......I am sort of meh on much of Cockeysville. I have lived here for decades. The Town home area is okay, but it's not the best part of the area. Potspring, Springlake...you want to be in north east in Cockeysville. Cranbrook Road, unless you are near the end of it by the High School is a pass.

I would look in Timonium, but drive through it around Eastridge, Aylesbury....

These areas are probably going to out of you price range.

The closer to York Road you are the uglier it gets by the area standards. It's an overbuilt commercial zone. Some exceptions. Some places in Timonium you pull fifty feet off of York and it seems like you are in a very nice enclave.

I see there are a few Townhouses in my development near Cranbrook Road, I would pass on those.

There's a nice end of group in Hunt Valley (Cockeysville) by the Town Center for 305K.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:25 AM

404 posts, read 266,751 times
IF you would like to consider Catonsville it is very family oriented. There are trails for walking and hiking and close to Patapsco State Park. Your budget will be tight but possible. The only advice I can give you about Catonsville is to look at the western edge (close to Ellicott City). In all surrounding areas of the city aim for the outer edges away from city lines. You can message if you have questions.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
IF you would like to consider Catonsville it is very family oriented. There are trails for walking and hiking and close to Patapsco State Park. Your budget will be tight but possible. The only advice I can give you about Catonsville is to look at the western edge (close to Ellicott City). In all surrounding areas of the city aim for the outer edges away from city lines. You can message if you have questions.
West Catonsville would be good, but I wouldn't want to send my kid to school in the area.....

Again, northern Baltimore County....It's the most desirable part of the metro.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 PM

Another choice area....

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...36400718_zpid/

One thing, the housing market here is hot! So I wonder how long that price for that Townhouse in Hunt Valley will last. (I have zero association with the property)

There isn't much around here for 300K.

You aren't getting anything in Mays Chapel for that price. A Condo maybe

They just built houses practically next to a car dealership, and two on a busy corner and they sold in the 500-700K range. I thought those were insane prices. Greenside Drive. (Foreigners, and New Yorker's....)
Another eh area, middle school right there, and Elementary school at the other end, and a lot of Apartments in between with some nice houses.

Last edited by Digger 68; 10-19-2020 at 10:45 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 10:52 PM

I saw they were working one of these crappy Townhomes I live in, and I'll be damned, the idiot that has owned a few of them is selling right across the street from us. This clown hasn't had anybody living in three of the properties he owns in the development for a decade plus. Total nut! I guess he died.
They just put a new roof on it, and a new AC Unit. I bet it needs to be gutted!

(He lives(d) off of Old Court Road....$$$$$$$$)

The ghetto of Cockeysville.......

Last edited by Digger 68; 10-19-2020 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 07:41 AM

404 posts, read 266,751 times
I messaged some info if interested. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:27 AM

584 posts, read 136,021 times
Stay away from bus and light rail routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore