U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 03:12 PM

32 posts, read 11,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Kimberly Klacik and her backers ran an
abysmal campaign. 5 million dollars +
down the crapper. It did not help that
Klacik had a sleazy background that
turned off most of the black Christians
that make up a large portion of the
Democrats in the 7th District. She
also thought she could win with a
wink and a smile which simply does
not fly in the 7th District. You have to
put in the work (visit churches, kiss
babies, etc.).
This race has just been another annoyance in a long string of me feeling isolated politically. I am an (R) in the 7th district. But even outside of Ms. Klacik, far too many contemporary republican candidates do not appeal to me. (Nor do any democratic candidates, obviously) And it's not about policy. I can usually get on board with most of their policy ideals (minus environmental). To me it's an issue of personality, character, and integrity. I do not respond well to the arrogant, embarrassing personas that have somehow co-opted our party in the last ten years. I also find it disappointing when our candidate's election platform is essentially highlighting and emphasizing their support of President Trump as the headline. You're the Republican candidate, we already know that. Trying to get a seat at the big kid's table by riding coat-tails does not show me that you have personal integrity. Plus, I want my representatives representing me, not pandering to anyone else, no matter who they are. Any president, Dem or Rep, will make mistakes or push a policy that is not in the best interest of America. I want my elected representatives to push back when that happens. Not everyone racing to their knees.

So yes, I did vote down my party line. But I wasn't happy about it. Just like I know my wife wasn't happy about her choices on the democratic side (she dislikes Biden, but dislikes President Trump even more). I am hoping and praying that perhaps in 2024 or 2028, I'll be able to fill out my ballot and have a little pride in it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 10:57 AM

722 posts, read 663,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
This race has just been another annoyance in a long string of me feeling isolated politically. I am an (R) in the 7th district. But even outside of Ms. Klacik, far too many contemporary republican candidates do not appeal to me. (Nor do any democratic candidates, obviously) And it's not about policy. I can usually get on board with most of their policy ideals (minus environmental). To me it's an issue of personality, character, and integrity. I do not respond well to the arrogant, embarrassing personas that have somehow co-opted our party in the last ten years. I also find it disappointing when our candidate's election platform is essentially highlighting and emphasizing their support of President Trump as the headline. You're the Republican candidate, we already know that. Trying to get a seat at the big kid's table by riding coat-tails does not show me that you have personal integrity. Plus, I want my representatives representing me, not pandering to anyone else, no matter who they are. Any president, Dem or Rep, will make mistakes or push a policy that is not in the best interest of America. I want my elected representatives to push back when that happens. Not everyone racing to their knees.

So yes, I did vote down my party line. But I wasn't happy about it. Just like I know my wife wasn't happy about her choices on the democratic side (she dislikes Biden, but dislikes President Trump even more). I am hoping and praying that perhaps in 2024 or 2028, I'll be able to fill out my ballot and have a little pride in it.
Response to BaltimoreBruiser:

I respect your honesty.

I am not a staunch Kweisi Mfume
supporter by any stretch. I consider
myself an Independent who votes
on the issues. I am not enamoured
by personality but am sensitive enough
to know if that personality is a "good fit".
The Republican candidate was not a
good fit. She hitched her wagon to a
horse that is headed to the glue factory.
Outside of Rep. Andy Harris (ugh!), a
Maryland Republican has to be centrist
to gain substantial votes for a major office
in a Blue state.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 10,438,532 times
I didnt live in this District when Mfume first was in Congress... Can anyone share any highlights from his previous tenure in this seat? Currently, he appears to be on two important Congressional Committeess.. Government Reform and Small Business the later I would imagine being of extreme importance to Baltimore and the Country as a whole.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:35 PM

36,554 posts, read 47,169,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I didnt live in this District when Mfume first was in Congress... Can anyone share any highlights from his previous tenure in this seat? Currently, he appears to be on two important Congressional Committeess.. Government Reform and Small Business the later I would imagine being of extreme importance to Baltimore and the Country as a whole.
Keep in mind that I live in Hoyer's district. I found, as a local elected official, that we got a faster and more involved response and help from Mfume than we did with Hoyer for things like dealing with the various agencies like the Corps of Engineer. With Hoyer it was almost like "Take a Number and Wait to be Called".

Old 12-07-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that I live in Hoyer's district. I found, as a local elected official, that we got a faster and more involved response and help from Mfume than we did with Hoyer for things like dealing with the various agencies like the Corps of Engineer. With Hoyer it was almost like "Take a Number and Wait to be Called".
I wonder if it had anything to do with seniority? The most senior likely focuses on national policy issues while the more junior may be more constituent driven (i.e. grants and motivating fed agencies to act) based on the needs of the various municipalities? I take it that Hoyer was/is more senior in this case?

West Baltimore presents a myriad of problems most of which have to be solved at the local govt. level. No matter how much pork a Congressman brings home.. its up to the local jurisdiction to appropriate it appropriately. I dont know if that is the case here in Baltimore City or if it has just gone into pie in the sky or economically unviable but politically prudent projects that get funded and fail or not produce the intended results...... I recall seeing the city fixing sidewalks and street lights in a block in west Baltimore that was vacant and bombed out.. and the next block had residents and bad sidewalks and streetlights. I thought maybe that the bombed out block was slated for redevelopment but to date nothing has happened.. Why do that but leave the residents who are sticking it out in a dark block with no sidewalks? Maybe misappropriation is the wrong word.. and maybe its prioritization.... To me, this occurs in the city that doesnt seem to be tied to any type of planning or reason. Punish existing residents in the hopes of attracting new ones.. The reality is if the people that live here dont like it or are trapped.. new residents arent going to want to move in either.

I am really interested in what Scott will do.. He is from Park Heights and Pimlico Racetrack can/will likely be his signature project of his administration if he can get it off the ground.. He could certainly leave a legacy in his old neighborhood if it is done right

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-07-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-07-2020, 04:03 PM

36,554 posts, read 47,169,410 times
Quote:
I wonder if it had anything to do with seniority? The most senior likely focuses on national policy issues while the more junior may be more constituent driven (i.e. grants and motivating fed agencies to act) based on the needs of the various municipalities? I take it that Hoyer was/is more senior in this case?.............
The more senior guy is he one you want, he knows which trees to shake. It didn't stop Hoyer from "saving" PAX during BRAC.

Mikulski also was better at constituent service than Sarbanes, Cardin or Van Hollen (who is the best of those three).

Old 12-09-2020, 12:23 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,101,450 times
Quote:
I wonder if it had anything to do with seniority? The most senior likely focuses on national policy issues while the more junior may be more constituent driven (i.e. grants and motivating fed agencies to act) based on the needs of the various municipalities? I take it that Hoyer was/is more senior in this case?

West Baltimore presents a myriad of problems most of which have to be solved at the local govt. level. No matter how much pork a Congressman brings home.. its up to the local jurisdiction to appropriate it appropriately. I dont know if that is the case here in Baltimore City or if it has just gone into pie in the sky or economically unviable but politically prudent projects that get funded and fail or not produce the intended results...... I recall seeing the city fixing sidewalks and street lights in a block in west Baltimore that was vacant and bombed out.. and the next block had residents and bad sidewalks and streetlights. I thought maybe that the bombed out block was slated for redevelopment but to date nothing has happened.. Why do that but leave the residents who are sticking it out in a dark block with no sidewalks? Maybe misappropriation is the wrong word.. and maybe its prioritization.... To me, this occurs in the city that doesnt seem to be tied to any type of planning or reason. Punish existing residents in the hopes of attracting new ones.. The reality is if the people that live here dont like it or are trapped.. new residents arent going to want to move in either.

I am really interested in what Scott will do.. He is from Park Heights and Pimlico Racetrack can/will likely be his signature project of his administration if he can get it off the ground.. He could certainly leave a legacy in his old neighborhood if it is done right
I thought Pimlico racetrack was a done deal. Is there more to be done there, or was that just a lot of talk and nothing was done?

Old 12-09-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I thought Pimlico racetrack was a done deal. Is there more to be done there, or was that just a lot of talk and nothing was done?
Unfortunately, I dont assume anything is a done deal in this town until the bull dozier shows up... The state was involved in a huge study and I believe the state has the funding was set aside to fund certain aspects of the project. I dont know if the City has finalized its contribution or if the owners of the track had their chips in.... Since COVID, it wouldnt surprise me if it proceeds more slowly and piecemeal. The city is likely broke and over extended with places like Port Covington, West Baltimore Medical area, and Harbor East but I could be wrong.. Sinai has been gaining approvals for several buildings/facilities on the east side of the property.. so maybe we will see that happen first.. I think other aspects like the athletic fields, hotel, and housing will take longer to pull together

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/deal-...ourse/29389747

Old 12-11-2020, 05:31 PM

With his remarks and comments directed at Mayor Scott. Mosby ended his city council pres campaign and launched his Mayoral campaign. He is coming for you Brandon

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2020/1...special-video/

Old 12-12-2020, 08:46 AM

722 posts, read 663,181 times
Quote:
With his remarks and comments directed at Mayor Scott. Mosby ended his city council pres campaign and launched his Mayoral campaign. He is coming for you Brandon

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2020/1...special-video/
Nick Mosby had better be careful
less a few more skeletons be pulled
from closet by his Arch Nemesis (Fox 45).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore