U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 03:53 PM

722 posts, read 663,181 times

Advertisements

Baltimore City Elections 2020 are over and the
votes counted.

Brandon Scott was voted Mayor of Baltimore.
Nick Mosby was voted President of the City Council.
Bill Henry was voted Comptroller.

Newscaster Mary Bubolic (Bubonic?) got her wish.
No black females in key positions.
Black males this time.

I wish Brandon Scott the best in his handling of a
major city at such a young age. I have every confidence
that he will be the example that another young Mayor
of a large American city (Kwame Kirkpatrick) failed to
be. We must give way to the young people in politics
and give them a chance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 01:09 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Baltimore City Elections 2020 are over and the
votes counted.

Brandon Scott was voted Mayor of Baltimore.
Nick Mosby was voted President of the City Council.
Bill Henry was voted Comptroller.

Newscaster Mary Bubolic (Bubonic?) got her wish.
No black females in key positions.
Black males this time.

I wish Brandon Scott the best in his handling of a
major city at such a young age. I have every confidence
that he will be the example that another young Mayor
of a large American city (Kwame Kirkpatrick) failed to
be. We must give way to the young people in politics
and give them a chance.

You contradicted yourself........

We must pick the best person for the Job!

The best leaders this country ever had had years of experience!

Scott has been on the City council, and is from the City. We will see how it works. It will take money......

Old 11-10-2020, 12:03 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,101,450 times
I really liked Bob Wallace. He has lots of business experience, which to me would be more important in improving Baltimore than political experience. its a shame he didn't get elected.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:08 AM

722 posts, read 663,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I really liked Bob Wallace. He has lots of business experience, which to me would be more important in improving Baltimore than political experience. its a shame he didn't get elected.
Bob Wallace was an interesting candidate,
but being a Republican running as an Independent
in a Baltimore City election (a Democratic
saturated area) made him a turtledove in a
field of peacocks.

Old 11-14-2020, 04:51 PM

6,883 posts, read 10,438,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Bob Wallace was an interesting candidate,
but being a Republican running as an Independent
in a Baltimore City election (a Democratic
saturated area) made him a turtledove in a
field of peacocks.

Yeah.. you wonder if the City had non partisan elections and everyone just ran regardless of what letter is behind their name.... if he would have gained any traction...I guess I doubt it because the Dems would just "firehouse caucus" and try to get behind a single candidate.. But in city of egos and a**holes... someone would lose the caucus and run anyway.. which is fine.. I just wonder if that would open the field up more...

Old 11-16-2020, 07:34 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,973,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah.. you wonder if the City had non partisan elections and everyone just ran regardless of what letter is behind their name.... if he would have gained any traction...I guess I doubt it because the Dems would just "firehouse caucus" and try to get behind a single candidate.. But in city of egos and a**holes... someone would lose the caucus and run anyway.. which is fine.. I just wonder if that would open the field up more...
What's the difference between everyone running with D next to their name and everyone running with nothing next to their name? Everyone knows the primary is what matters and everyone runs accordingly.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:35 AM

5,601 posts, read 8,951,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
What's the difference between everyone running with D next to their name and everyone running with nothing next to their name? Everyone knows the primary is what matters and everyone runs accordingly.
In non-partisan races, all the candidates appear on everyone's primary ballots. Most voters don't know the party affiliation of the candidates that far down ballot and the race becomes more about the candidates themselves, not whether they are donkey or elephants. I support municipal and school board races being non-partisan for this reason.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:35 AM

36,554 posts, read 47,169,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
In non-partisan races, all the candidates appear on everyone's primary ballots. Most voters don't know the party affiliation of the candidates that far down ballot and the race becomes more about the candidates themselves, not whether they are donkey or elephants. I support municipal and school board races being non-partisan for this reason.
I don't know how your "non-partisan" elections work out in the hinterlands but here there is absolutely no doubt which Party is supporting which candidate(s).

Of course you have to be smart, which many people are not, to match up the names of public supporters with the candidate.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:55 AM

5,601 posts, read 8,951,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know how your "non-partisan" elections work out in the hinterlands but here there is absolutely no doubt which Party is supporting which candidate(s).

Of course you have to be smart, which many people are not, to match up the names of public supporters with the candidate.
We have had issues recently with what you mention. 4-6 years ago, three GOP candidates slated up for the BOE elections, and made their specific campaign pitch, "We are Republicans just like the County Commissioners." It worked, all three were elected. It was a disaster. Open Meeting Act laws were shoved aside, one of the three was removed by the state board for a continued pattern of sexual harassment. Two are still left (one was narrowly relected.)

Cumberland City Council is still largely removed from party politics. I can honestly say I do not know for sure what party our mayor and city council members belong to (although I could easily look, and proably guess.) I really hope we can avoid what happened to the BOE. It is a partisan crap show right now. I guess this is the inevitable result of one party rule, similar to what you would see in Baltimore, but I prefered the old attitude.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-16-2020 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-16-2020, 12:20 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,973,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Right, I just mean in areas that are very heavily D or R everyone who wants to actually be involved in the political process is already registered accordingly and the predominant party's primary is a de facto non-partisan race. If you legitimately want to win office in Baltimore then you register as a D, whether you have a love letter to Reagan in your closet or not. E.g. David Blair, who recently came within a few votes of winning the MoCo County Exec Dem primary, was a registered Republican for the vast majority of his life and voted in exactly one Dem primary before running. Would it have been easier to simply have a nonpartisan race so he didn't have to bother changing his affiliation to run? Yeah, I guess, but in practice it's not that much of a difference.

I agree school board and judges should be nonpartisan. Primarily because the positions themselves ideally aren't political in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore