Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 4,086 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I’m looking to relocate to Maryland from Oakland, CA. I’m a Dental Assistant making $28/hr. I’m looking to live in Baltimore as I’ve visited over 10 times during different seasons. I’m wondering if the dental industry is great there as it is here. And would I be able to live financially comfortable? I planned on saving 15k, and then just heading there in July/August. Any recommendations for areas to live in between $500-1100? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 02:04 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakland_native View Post
Any recommendations for areas to live in between $500-1100? Thank you!
If you mean rent per month for an apartment, that is a very low figure. For a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area, you could expect to pay a minimum of $1100 per month. You might get a studio for $900/month. I am using Windsor Mill as an example of a relatively safe area.

BTW, Baltimore itsellf has been losing population, and the suburbs are growing slowly. IDK about the dental field, but I'd suggest researching other areas of the country.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you mean rent per month for an apartment, that is a very low figure. For a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe area, you could expect to pay a minimum of $1100 per month. You might get a studio for $900/month. I am using Windsor Mill as an example of a relatively safe area.

BTW, Baltimore itsellf has been losing population, and the suburbs are growing slowly. IDK about the dental field, but I'd suggest researching other areas of the country.
The oldest dental college in the US is in Baltimore. And as far as growth why would you want to live somewhere with a lot of growth when you already have had plenty of it? I mean how much growth do you want?

They can't stop building, and there is zero shortage of people coming here. I wish this wasn't true either. 2% growth isn't a lot, so move to a huge metro?

You could always move to North Dakota.......

The OP's rental wishes are a pipe dream.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:43 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
The oldest dental college in the US is in Baltimore. And as far as growth why would you want to live somewhere with a lot of growth when you already have had plenty of it? I mean how much growth do you want?
The OP asked if the dental business is great in Baltimore. I though one indicator of business would be a growth in population, and Baltimore has been losing population. There might not be a large demand for RDA's . I hope the OP has researched the demand.

I assume she also has reasons for wanting to move, such as friends or family in the Baltimore area. Otherwise, I would ask why move to Baltimore?

Old 11-09-2020, 04:19 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
The OP asked if the dental business is great in Baltimore. I though one indicator of business would be a growth in population, and Baltimore has been losing population. There might not be a large demand for RDA's . I hope the OP has researched the demand.

I assume she also has reasons for wanting to move, such as friends or family in the Baltimore area. Otherwise, I would ask why move to Baltimore?
Everything is here for less money than DC? You can always drive to the museums.

And if you live north in the burbs it will definitely be cheaper with everything......and depending where very nice.

That's why.

That rental price even at the high end is not happening. Somewhere near Perry Parkway? Forget $500 a month.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:45 AM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I would ask first whether your California license would transfer or if you'd have to take additional Maryland based courses.

I know that with teaching certificates that's the case even with states that Maryland supposedly has reciprocity with.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, I meant to include for a roommate. I live in San Jose. Roommates are legit $1200+ to rent a room with a shared bathroom. That’s why I chose the low amount of $500. As for studios, yes, I’ve seen a few for $650 with tons of space and W/D w/ dishwasher. I was told the area was decent too. It’s relatively cheap in the city. That’s why I’m looking to relocate so I can make the money I do, save and go to school for hygiene. I’m trying to live comfortably, but reasonably within my means.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:

I’ve seen that there a constant jobs hiring in the industry from different job boards. I think the loss of population either means people like myself will repopulate the city, or y’all broke? Don’t know. I’m coming for financial reasons and I have support there. My support is in Owings Mill and Annapolis.

Quote:

Old 11-10-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Everything is here for less money than DC? You can always drive to the museums.

And if you live north in the burbs it will definitely be cheaper with everything......and depending where very nice.

That's why.

That rental price even at the high end is not happening. Somewhere near Perry Parkway? Forget $500 a month.
If anything, I planned to commute to DC for work b/c I love it there and I’m sure there would be a mild pay difference which could cover transportation. I actually wanted to live in the city, not exactly the harbor, but around that area’s border.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I would ask first whether your California license would transfer or if you'd have to take additional Maryland based courses.

I know that with teaching certificates that's the case even with states that Maryland supposedly has reciprocity with.
I planned to complete the CDA license which is transferrable through all states. I totally looked up Maryland reqs, but it’d be redundant to do everything when I have CA standard already. I’m leaving with the CDA license indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore