U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 07:08 AM

9,896 posts, read 7,240,148 times

Advertisements

Last December 24 I toured the Hampden section of these neighboring streets and was amazed. W. 34th Street was absolutely beautiful, more of a seasonal winter theme which suited me fine.

I agree with the suggestion as social distancing will be near impossible. I am one who is taking this pandemic seriously. This ends a 72 year consecutive streak of crowds witnessing the holiday lights display. Kind of sad, just like 2020 has been.

An excellent chance it will be as vibrant as always next year.

Has anyone else here seen it in past years? I suggest to go at least once.

https://www.wbal.com/article/488751/...home-this-year

https://www.christmasstreet.com/

Excerpt:

Quote:
34th street is attempting to do something as far as the holidays this year. Covid is affecting us all and 34th street is no exception.

Growing concern among the local residents and merchants about the amount of people coming into the neighborhood and worries about social distancing and what not. My suggestion to all is this:

Don’t come this year.

Take a year off, go to other places where people can stretch out and that way there will be no issues about social distancing and face masks being worn. That way the residents as well as the merchants will feel safe.

Crazy world we are living in right now, and we deal with it one day at a time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 03:50 AM

6,505 posts, read 3,602,741 times
I have been in past years. It is a great example of overdone, gaudy and just fabulous! I love it! It is electrifying and fun to see! I agree everyone should go once to see it. I will definitely skip it this year.

I went to the "christmas street" link -- sounds like "Fred" is selling off his decorations.

I had to go to Hampden last Saturday. I found it already a bit too crowded for me. At the same time, I was quite sadden that a couple of my favorite stores closed. "Trohv"--I was quite sadden it did not make it through the Pandemic.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,132,990 times
I usually just drive around suburban neighborhoods between DC and Baltimore several times each holiday season, and even the more "ordinary" folks still can put up quite a show. I enjoy all of the inflatables just off Snowden River Parkway at one house on Deepage Drive in Columbia. And this year, its probably better just staying in the suburbs to check out the light displays.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:38 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
Yeah, the 34th Street display just screams BALTIMORE, in all its gaudy, over the top, John Waters-style glory. I've been before, and I agree, it's something that everyone ought to see at least once. I don't know why they couldn't organize some sort of drive-thru thing for it, like they do at Merriweather in Columbia. But, failing that, I'm going to heed their advice and stay away this year.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yeah, the 34th Street display just screams BALTIMORE, in all its gaudy, over the top, John Waters-style glory. I've been before, and I agree, it's something that everyone ought to see at least once. I don't know why they couldn't organize some sort of drive-thru thing for it, like they do at Merriweather in Columbia. But, failing that, I'm going to heed their advice and stay away this year.
According to the main article (second link) they are working on that. They just don't want people to gather where social distancing will be impossible. I imagine with as much publicity this gets every year, dealing with the traffic will not be worth it.

Last year it was a coincidence I went on the 24th. As one can imagine it was very crowded. I got there well before sundown so parking was easy. I think it's best to experience by walking the neighborhood as opposed to driving by it.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:12 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Playing on Union Avenue when I was a kid I would go to it every year. Then go to my Great Grandfathers gas station for candy.

I still marvel at places like Hampdens resurgence.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 PM

6,883 posts, read 10,438,532 times
Some residents of Hampden may be relieved ... The traffic to get in and out of that street/area the last few years that I went was nuts.. Traffic backed all the way up Falls Road to Coldspring. I dont know if it was all going to 34th Street or maybe just the Ave proper.. but it was very congested at times....Walking is/was probably the best option to be able to gawk and navigate the street as opposed to driving which is why I imagine they are telling folks to stay away...

Old 11-26-2020, 07:59 AM

584 posts, read 136,021 times
People go live your lives. So sick of politicians make rules and not follow their own words.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
People go live your lives. So sick of politicians make rules and not follow their own words.
I'm not playing your game of Russian Rotulet, nor do I care about anti-science politicians. However I do care about those who will get this horrible virus from others who don't care. I urge others to take the organizers suggestion and not go this year. We need to be patient. Things will be better in about 4-5 months.

I'm confident if anyone wants to see this event they will be able to get the full experience in December, 2021.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:06 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Some residents of Hampden may be relieved ... The traffic to get in and out of that street/area the last few years that I went was nuts.. Traffic backed all the way up Falls Road to Coldspring. I dont know if it was all going to 34th Street or maybe just the Ave proper.. but it was very congested at times....Walking is/was probably the best option to be able to gawk and navigate the street as opposed to driving which is why I imagine they are telling folks to stay away...
Most people walked. That's how it was. You could even walk through people's houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore