U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 08:30 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times

Advertisements

Social Public Welfare is 15.4 Percent of GDP for 2020 according to Wiki, and it's dropped since 2016 three percentage points. That places the U.S. 22nd in the world.
Under the give my rich buddies tax brakes, and corporate welfare total net spending is 30 Percent of GDP.
Per Capita we are 10th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lfare_spending
Rate this post positively

Old 12-13-2020, 09:58 AM

8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Many people owned slaves then. In no way am I condoning it. It's reprehensible.

Those were different times.

I recently learned that the putative author of "A Visit From St. Nicholas", (Twas the night before Christmas) one of my favorite childhood poems, was a slave owner, a New York City resident when the city had more bucolic areas a minister in the Episcopal church, and a college professor.

We need to look at historical figures in the context of the culture and time in which they were living.

Slavery IS bad. It's evil. However, in ancient times and not so ancient times, it was normative.

No. Johns Hopkins should not change it's name. That is very different from confederate statues that were erected in the Jim Crowe era.

We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, we should also refrain from statues erected in order to intimidate black Americans.

In no way do I think they should be destroyed. Perhaps the answer is a museum of slavery and Jim Crow.

Concentration camps in Germany and Eastern Europe have not been destroyed. Rather, they are used as teaching tools, and are attractions visited by tourists from around the world, so that we will never forget.
I agree with you 100%. It frustrates me that so many people insist on judging people from the past according to the standards of the present, without giving any thought to the idea that things were different in the old days. Moreover, things will be different in the future, and I for one do not want to be judged according to their standards, whatever they may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I happen to agree with reparations.
And here's where we part company.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 PM

5,601 posts, read 8,951,837 times
I think Hopkins will keep the brand, nobody knows or cares much about Johns, as a person, these days. That brand is worth billions. If anything, this is a good PR move to "dump" the news in the middle of Dec. after an election and during a pandemic when people are getting ready for Christmas.

But really, it's Hopkins' call on how to move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore