Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:44 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times

Advertisements

https://www.wmar2news.com/news/local...nU3i_JLkAHHFVo

The founder owned slaves, so in today's woke world, the only recourse is to change the name to something more innocuous, like Slavery Is Bad Hospital. But that won't be good enough, so the complex will need to be completely torn down and the ground sown with salt. Which, on the bright side, will make it blend in much better with its East Baltimore surroundings.

Or, we could just shrug our shoulders, admit that the past is the past, and move on. But surely the left won't want to pass up an opportunity for some good ol' anti-whitey outrage.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:32 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
I was going to post this in the Politics forum.

The university officials said, "Like so many others who have made meaningful contributions to our country's history, Mr. Hopkins is a complex and contradictory person whose story holds within it multiple truths."
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/10/94490...university-say

That doesn't sound very woke to me.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I was going to post this in the Politics forum.

The university officials said, "Like so many others who have made meaningful contributions to our country's history, Mr. Hopkins is a complex and contradictory person whose story holds within it multiple truths."
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/10/94490...university-say

That doesn't sound very woke to me.
I'm not saying that the university officials are woke. In fact, their comment is actually quite intelligent for this issue. But I'm predicting the woker-than-thou people to come out of the woodwork and complain about the name of a slave owner adorning the famous university and hospital.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:23 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,899 times
^
And will you stoke the flames as much as they will?

Old 12-11-2020, 07:32 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,006 times
Time to destroy their buildings and have them shut down.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
They should change the name to John Hopkins.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:01 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm not saying that the university officials are woke. In fact, their comment is actually quite intelligent for this issue. But I'm predicting the woker-than-thou people to come out of the woodwork and complain about the name of a slave owner adorning the famous university and hospital.
Who woulda thunk it? Intelligent people in a Uni, whatever next......

Old 12-11-2020, 03:00 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Intelligent comments aren't woke and usually get condemned as being racist. If you are simply not racist that still makes you racist according to current views. You have to be ANTI-racist or you are still racist.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Who woulda thunk it? Intelligent people in a Uni, whatever next......
Good point. I should have said "Their comment was actually quite common-sensical for this issue." Because that's what I found surprising, that they responded like normal people instead of like woke leftists.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:18 AM

24,107 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
https://www.wmar2news.com/news/local...nU3i_JLkAHHFVo

The founder owned slaves, so in today's woke world, the only recourse is to change the name to something more innocuous, like Slavery Is Bad Hospital. But that won't be good enough, so the complex will need to be completely torn down and the ground sown with salt. Which, on the bright side, will make it blend in much better with its East Baltimore surroundings.

Or, we could just shrug our shoulders, admit that the past is the past, and move on. But surely the left won't want to pass up an opportunity for some good ol' anti-whitey outrage.
Many people owned slaves then. In no way am I condoning it. It's reprehensible.

Those were different times.

I recently learned that the putative author of "A Visit From St. Nicholas", (Twas the night before Christmas) one of my favorite childhood poems, was a slave owner, a New York City resident when the city had more bucolic areas a minister in the Episcopal church, and a college professor.

We need to look at historical figures in the context of the culture and time in which they were living.

Slavery IS bad. It's evil. However, in ancient times and not so ancient times, it was normative.

No. Johns Hopkins should not change it's name. That is very different from confederate statues that were erected in the Jim Crowe era.

We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, we should also refrain from statues erected in order to intimidate black Americans.

In no way do I think they should be destroyed. Perhaps the answer is a museum of slavery and Jim Crow.

Concentration camps in Germany and Eastern Europe have not been destroyed. Rather, they are used as teaching tools, and are attractions visited by tourists from around the world, so that we will never forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore