Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:35 AM

777 posts, read 880,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Many people owned slaves then. In no way am I condoning it. It's reprehensible.

Those were different times.

I recently learned that the putative author of "A Visit From St. Nicholas", (Twas the night before Christmas) one of my favorite childhood poems, was a slave owner, a New York City resident when the city had more bucolic areas a minister in the Episcopal church, and a college professor.

We need to look at historical figures in the context of the culture and time in which they were living.

Slavery IS bad. It's evil. However, in ancient times and not so ancient times, it was normative.

No. Johns Hopkins should not change it's name. That is very different from confederate statues that were erected in the Jim Crowe era.

We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, we should also refrain from statues erected in order to intimidate black Americans.

In no way do I think they should be destroyed. Perhaps the answer is a museum of slavery and Jim Crow.

Concentration camps in Germany and Eastern Europe have not been destroyed. Rather, they are used as teaching tools, and are attractions visited by tourists from around the world, so that we will never forget.
The answer is monetary reparations.
That has always been the answer.
Spare me the apologies and museums
and "cut the check".

BTW, Jewish people are still hunting
Nazis who participated in the Holocaust.
No matter how old or sick they are
they are wheeled before a judge to
pay for their crimes.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:14 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Many people owned slaves then. In no way am I condoning it. It's reprehensible.

Those were different times.

I recently learned that the putative author of "A Visit From St. Nicholas", (Twas the night before Christmas) one of my favorite childhood poems, was a slave owner, a New York City resident when the city had more bucolic areas a minister in the Episcopal church, and a college professor.

We need to look at historical figures in the context of the culture and time in which they were living.

Slavery IS bad. It's evil. However, in ancient times and not so ancient times, it was normative.

No. Johns Hopkins should not change it's name. That is very different from confederate statues that were erected in the Jim Crowe era.

We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater, however, we should also refrain from statues erected in order to intimidate black Americans.

In no way do I think they should be destroyed. Perhaps the answer is a museum of slavery and Jim Crow.

Concentration camps in Germany and Eastern Europe have not been destroyed. Rather, they are used as teaching tools, and are attractions visited by tourists from around the world, so that we will never forget.
https://socialequity.duke.edu/wp-con...08/8.10.20.pdf

Old 12-12-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
The answer is monetary reparations.
That has always been the answer.
Spare me the apologies and museums
and "cut the check".

BTW, Jewish people are still hunting
Nazis who participated in the Holocaust.
No matter how old or sick they are
they are wheeled before a judge to
pay for their crimes.
Reparations for people who were never slaves? That's interesting.....

Especially considering how few people are descendant's of slave owners.

Hunting Nazi War Criminals who have evaded justice for 75 years, and comparing that to Slavery and reoperations is about as asinine as it gets!

As usual you

Old 12-12-2020, 08:16 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Maybe they could rename it after one of his brothers Bills Hopkins or Freds Hopkins.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Maybe they could rename it after one of his brothers Bills Hopkins or Freds Hopkins.
They should call Woke Uni?

(I loathe the right, but have even great contempt for the far left!)

Old 12-12-2020, 08:20 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
why would anyone care?

Old 12-12-2020, 08:22 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post

As usual
don't forget all the immigrants that arrived in the US after the Civil War. They need to pay too.....lol

Old 12-12-2020, 08:28 AM

Bill Mahr did a great sketch on the BS being peddled by the far left. I will find it and post it.

I don't expect much rationality from the right, but the far left whether they realize it or not are just as extreme, and irrational. And they are the ones that push people to vote for crazy people!
THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SAT ON THEIR HANDS IN MICHIGAN, PENNSYLVANIA, AND WISCONSON, AND ANYWHERE ELSE WHERE IT MATTERED IN THE LAST ELECTION! I blame them for that nut in Oval Office, and if anything they owe me some fuc*ing money!!!

Old 12-12-2020, 08:51 AM

777 posts, read 880,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post

Hunting Nazi War Criminals who have evaded justice for 75 years, and comparing that to Slavery and reoperations is about as asinine as it gets!

As usual you

Evasion is not an effective tool
in this matter. It is merely a delay
tactic.

Once a serious system is developed
they will find the rightful people whom
the reparations will go to. DNA technology
is ready for such a difficult task.

It does not help to reply with emotion
instead of logic. The logic is that if other
groups have received monetary reparations
for their suffering as a group, why shouldn't
descendants of chattel slavery receive their
just compensation?

Old 12-12-2020, 08:53 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
So should we dig him up and yell at him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore