U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:58 AM

2,356 posts, read 1,167,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Tell that to all the Hopkins students and young people living there....

It's certainly up and coming compared to ten years ago. While never a bad area, there's more going on for it compared to the past. There's a momentum. Quite a bit of gentrification and renovations in lower Charles Village and the overlap with Remington.
That has been going on for almost 20 years! And don't get me started on Remington. How long have you lived here? You're entire life?

Remington was a zoo for a long time!

What is a bad area if you can't walk out of your house at night and feel safe. You could have problems in hillbilly Hamden once upon a time. You were not black walking around Hamden, and you weren't white walking around Remington!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:50 AM

9,125 posts, read 5,181,778 times
OP, if you don't have a Club for your car, be sure and get one before you move into Baltimore. And be sure to use it. Always.

https://www.amazon.com/Club-1000-Ori...s%2C176&sr=8-5

If you can find a property with a garage, or have one built behind your house, as Woodlands suggested, that would be much better.

I can't give you specifics of safety in Charles Village, but I certainly do concur with the people who say to put as much space as you can between yourself and Greenmount Avenue.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:51 AM

9,940 posts, read 7,294,155 times
I live in Charles Village. The entrance to my apartment is through an alley and is located in the basement of a row house.

I see a lot of nice cars parked in the alley and never heard of any problems, nor have I ever had any problems walking when it gets dark or in the middle of the night. I park my car on the street and I have no problems parking it with out any "Club." There are a lot of Johns Hopkins University security guards on some blocks. I used to see them out front closer to where I live but they are now about a block away in different directions.

I also do not like Greenmount Ave. which is not far from here. But I've been to a couple of eateries in the area of 32nd and 31st and Greenmount early morning when it was still dark and never had problems. I was told when I moved here last year that the higher crime on Greenmount is south of 25th Street. However I do recommend vigilance on the street.

Definitely check out the 32nd Street Farmers Market. I go there just about every Saturday morning which is the only time they are open. One of the best outdoor markets I have ever been to and I can walk there in 5 minutes!

Old 12-16-2020, 07:24 AM

369 posts, read 146,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
That has been going on for almost 20 years! And don't get me started on Remington. How long have you lived here? You're entire life?

Remington was a zoo for a long time!

What is a bad area if you can't walk out of your house at night and feel safe. You could have problems in hillbilly Hamden once upon a time. You were not black walking around Hamden, and you weren't white walking around Remington!
Wasn't Remington a very working class white area, a step down from Hampden? Where the real bottom of the barrel lived?

Nonetheless, there are big changes to the whole north-central corridor in Baltimore compared to a decade or 20 years ago. And who knows what the next 20 years of slow, piecemeal change will bring, but I suspect more good than bad.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Wasn't Remington a very working class white area, a step down from Hampden? Where the real bottom of the barrel lived?

Nonetheless, there are big changes to the whole north-central corridor in Baltimore compared to a decade or 20 years ago. And who knows what the next 20 years of slow, piecemeal change will bring, but I suspect more good than bad.

This is what I am talking about.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:49 AM

9,940 posts, read 7,294,155 times
Quote:

Some "bad" I just found out -

My favorite store "Eddies Market" in Charles Village is closing for good at the end of the month.

Their other location in Mt. Vernon will remain open.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:40 PM

5,658 posts, read 9,012,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Some "bad" I just found out -

My favorite store "Eddies Market" in Charles Village is closing for good at the end of the month.

Their other location in Mt. Vernon will remain open.
No more banana pudding, eh? That's a bummer.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:51 PM

^
How did you know......

Old 12-17-2020, 06:51 AM

6,944 posts, read 10,513,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I always get a kick out of the preference for areas in the city that you can't walk out of your house at night and not feel safe. (I still don't get what's down there, wait vibrancy )

Charles Village is not up and coming. It's been popular for a while! As Wood said get away from Greenmount. What a dump!
Some urban pioneers are creeping into the blocks between Barclay St and Greenmount but its still house to house revitalization.. I admit I went to a now closed BBQ joint Greenmount between 25th and 29th last year... We sat outside and as were noticing the portable stadium light with the BPD logo on it an older gentleman walked up and was marveling to us on how this business opened in this area and had a diverse customer base.. He then pointed about 200ft from where we were sitting and told the story how someone was gunned downed and the blood was washed down the storm drain by BFD... At any rate.. a new Bagel joint has opened in the same area that seems to be doing OK and there is some newer housing near Greenmont at North.. The Waverly potions of Greenmount seems very much in tact but doesnt have much of a draw other than Ace Hardware, Giant, Petes, Goodwill and a few other speciality stores on a couple of the side streets and of course the Farmers Market... The Rite Aid and the Italian Restaurant have closed. All of that being said, the area still has a long way to go and like much of Baltimore.. has alot of potential.

I have to admit Baltimoreans are very industrious... The Advance Auto on Greenmount has curbside auto repair by a variety of mechanics in the parking lot.. I saw a guys changing oil, putting on brakes, and another had a car hoisted up on the NASCAR type jacks doing some major repair.. I am sure all of it is likely totally illegal(from a permit and licensing perspective) BUT they are providing a low cost service to residents and neither Advance Auto (whom is certainly benefiting from the parts sales) or the owners of the plaza seem to mind..

Old 12-18-2020, 05:21 AM

6,546 posts, read 3,649,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Definitely check out the 32nd Street Farmers Market. I go there just about every Saturday morning which is the only time they are open. One of the best outdoor markets I have ever been to and I can walk there in 5 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore