Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:57 PM

121 posts, read 97,998 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Greektown for the past 14 months and want to start a discussion on the neighborhood and provide my analysis. It is evident that the neighborhoods are undergoing some dramatic changes and this will continue in the future even more so.

In Greektown there seems to be 3 neighborhoods living together relatively isolated from the rest. There is the older Greek population that has been dwindling as immigration to Baltimore from Greece has fell off, the newer but larger Latino (mainly Central America) population that has taken their place, finally there is Yuppie population that primarily lives in the two new developments on the fringes of the neighborhood. While this does not fit everyone in the neighborhood, it does encapsulate the majority. I stand in an interesting place by having interacted closely with all three. I am college educated and from Philadelphia, fitting the highly mobile yuppie description. I speak near fluent Spanish and I worked at Acropolis for 4 months to make some extra money.

It seems that each population lives in their own worlds with little cross over. I believe this creates tension especially between the Greek and Latino populations that is exacerbated by the language barrier. Between some people there is a sentiment that the newer immigrants are making the neighborhood worse. However I see it as the opposite. On Eastern Avenue most of the businesses are Latino owned and cater to that community including Mama Tana's, Deli Latino, El Merengue, Panaderia Y Pastelaria Navarro, La China Poblana and much more. This follows the trend of main street immigrant-led revitalization that has been seen in many other cities. Due to Baltimore's relatively low overall immigration, SE Baltimore has been one of the only places this has taken hold. A great example in Philadelphia is the Italian Market which still has some Italian staples but now also has a large Mexican and Vietnamese presence as well.

The Latino population is very tight knit with many extended family members all residing in the same neighborhood as they immigrate to the United States. It is very family oriented and most people are extremely friendly, even if you learn a few words in Spanish they greatly appreciate it. There seems to be little outreach to the community, especially from the City government. Southeast CDC does a pretty good job but I usually don't see them coming over the track from Highlandtown. This may be more representative of the City's inability for leadership overall.

The yuppie population which does include many DC commuters primarily live in the two new developments on the Northern and Southern ends of the neighborhood with a few mixed into the older housing stock. The new developments feel like a completely different world and do not interact with the rest of the neighborhoods. Of people I know almost non of them shop and dine on Eastern Avenue and seem much more transient. It seems the City is catering to them however with developments like Yard 56 bringing large chains to the neighborhood that yuppies like such as Chipotle and LA fitness. It seems they maybe trying to attract workers at Bayview who make more than much of the working class in the neighborhood and will use the amenities of Yard 56

The neighborhood remains affordable which is also its draw for many immigrants and first time home owners. I have not heard fears of gentrification but I do think that home and rental prices will increase over time in Greektown. Many houses are being renovated and flipped for higher prices. I wonder if there are ways to integrate the existing communities? I see Greektown getting pricier as time goes on and gentrification start to take hold. I believe it will be gradual as people get priced out of Canton, though most will go to Highlandtown as the railroad provides a physical and mental barrier. The Latino population continues to grow and is largely underserved. I am curious other peoples thoughts on the neighborhood and its trajectory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 05:34 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times
The Greeks and Yuppies will be driven out eventually. BLM and lack of policing make Baltimore too dangerous.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The Greeks and Yuppies will be driven out eventually. BLM and lack of policing make Baltimore too dangerous.
You're gonna continue to hide behind this BLM euphemism, aren't you?

Old 07-02-2020, 06:31 PM

8,232 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
I have lived in Greektown for the past 14 months and want to start a discussion on the neighborhood and provide my analysis. It is evident that the neighborhoods are undergoing some dramatic changes and this will continue in the future even more so.

In Greektown there seems to be 3 neighborhoods living together relatively isolated from the rest. There is the older Greek population that has been dwindling as immigration to Baltimore from Greece has fell off, the newer but larger Latino (mainly Central America) population that has taken their place, finally there is Yuppie population that primarily lives in the two new developments on the fringes of the neighborhood. While this does not fit everyone in the neighborhood, it does encapsulate the majority. I stand in an interesting place by having interacted closely with all three. I am college educated and from Philadelphia, fitting the highly mobile yuppie description. I speak near fluent Spanish and I worked at Acropolis for 4 months to make some extra money.

It seems that each population lives in their own worlds with little cross over. I believe this creates tension especially between the Greek and Latino populations that is exacerbated by the language barrier. Between some people there is a sentiment that the newer immigrants are making the neighborhood worse. However I see it as the opposite. On Eastern Avenue most of the businesses are Latino owned and cater to that community including Mama Tana's, Deli Latino, El Merengue, Panaderia Y Pastelaria Navarro, La China Poblana and much more. This follows the trend of main street immigrant-led revitalization that has been seen in many other cities. Due to Baltimore's relatively low overall immigration, SE Baltimore has been one of the only places this has taken hold. A great example in Philadelphia is the Italian Market which still has some Italian staples but now also has a large Mexican and Vietnamese presence as well.

The Latino population is very tight knit with many extended family members all residing in the same neighborhood as they immigrate to the United States. It is very family oriented and most people are extremely friendly, even if you learn a few words in Spanish they greatly appreciate it. There seems to be little outreach to the community, especially from the City government. Southeast CDC does a pretty good job but I usually don't see them coming over the track from Highlandtown. This may be more representative of the City's inability for leadership overall.

The yuppie population which does include many DC commuters primarily live in the two new developments on the Northern and Southern ends of the neighborhood with a few mixed into the older housing stock. The new developments feel like a completely different world and do not interact with the rest of the neighborhoods. Of people I know almost non of them shop and dine on Eastern Avenue and seem much more transient. It seems the City is catering to them however with developments like Yard 56 bringing large chains to the neighborhood that yuppies like such as Chipotle and LA fitness. It seems they maybe trying to attract workers at Bayview who make more than much of the working class in the neighborhood and will use the amenities of Yard 56

The neighborhood remains affordable which is also its draw for many immigrants and first time home owners. I have not heard fears of gentrification but I do think that home and rental prices will increase over time in Greektown. Many houses are being renovated and flipped for higher prices. I wonder if there are ways to integrate the existing communities? I see Greektown getting pricier as time goes on and gentrification start to take hold. I believe it will be gradual as people get priced out of Canton, though most will go to Highlandtown as the railroad provides a physical and mental barrier. The Latino population continues to grow and is largely underserved. I am curious other peoples thoughts on the neighborhood and its trajectory.
I think you have captured it quite well ... Development will continue in that quarter of the city as it is near Canton and accessible to l95 for DC or reverse commute to the burbs. The social tension seems a little surprising between Latinos and Greeks ..when compared to say African Americans. I have heard stories of many of the ethinic white neighborhoods using violence or at least the threat of it to keep many African Americans out. Some older families I know said it was common knowledge to stay out of SE Baltimore . This was mainly up through the 90s . I doubt it is that way today and certainly many Latinos are moving in and don't appear to be having any problems . Not saying every thing is all good in the hood people are likely just living parallel lives and just accept the change...like it or not

For better or worse working class white neighborhoods in Baltimore are the main (but not only)ones gentrifying ...Hampden Woodberry , and Medfield in North Baltimore are other examples

Old 07-03-2020, 08:34 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think you have captured it quite well ... Development will continue in that quarter of the city as it is near Canton and accessible to l95 for DC or reverse commute to the burbs. The social tension seems a little surprising between Latinos and Greeks ..when compared to say African Americans. I have heard stories of many of the ethinic white neighborhoods using violence or at least the threat of it to keep many African Americans out. Some older families I know said it was common knowledge to stay out of SE Baltimore . This was mainly up through the 90s . I doubt it is that way today and certainly many Latinos are moving in and don't appear to be having any problems . Not saying every thing is all good in the hood people are likely just living parallel lives and just accept the change...like it or not

For better or worse working class white neighborhoods in Baltimore are the main (but not only)ones gentrifying ...Hampden Woodberry , and Medfield in North Baltimore are other examples
Been going on a long time. The tension is so thick it can be cut with a knife sometimes. Get closer to eastern avenue, and Highland Town.

Hampden has only recently chilled out a bit to blacks, and vice versa in Remington with whites.

I could add some stories.........

Old 07-14-2021, 01:29 AM

16 posts, read 28,625 times
Default The Future of Greektown

Since I have moved to Greektown I feel that the black population has grown and the Yuppie population has grown as well. I wonder what effect the destruction of the Perkins Homes, and the adjacent project developments will have on the neighborhood over time as well. I did recently notice Latino young men selling drugs on the corner, and one day a black guy was trying to sell me drugs standing in front of the same house as if he became the new occupier of that stoop. Before anyone tries to label me racist, I am black myself.

Basically in the older houses on each side of Eastern Avenue you have the working class whites mixed with a largely hispanic population with a sprinkling of black folks and greeks. With the addition of the shops at Yard 74 I feel that makes the neighborhood more attractive to Yuppies but I see them largely sticking to the newer developments to the North and South ends of the neighborhood.

There does seem to be a considerable number of homes available for rent in the neighborhood so much in fact that the demographics could really swing in the next few years.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're gonna continue to hide behind this BLM euphemism, aren't you?
lmao. he is.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:27 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
I think youll see more yuppies, latinos, and to a lesser extent blacks, with the greek population fizzling out although I still bump into people with names like Starvos and Niko there

Old 07-22-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think youll see more yuppies, latinos, and to a lesser extent blacks, with the greek population fizzling out although I still bump into people with names like Starvos and Niko there
Yeah the latino population is booming in that area but more so in Highlandtown just under the bridge. The wide variety of stores, restaurants and bars that are frequented and owned/operated by people from I believe Central America is quite impressive. I imagine the same thing may occur in Greektown? It would also be interesting to see if it continues east into some of those areas adjacent to Bayview or even down into Dundalk in terms of those who may be priced out of that section of Baltimore?... There is a new development across from the hospital that seems to be a welcomed addition.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Been going on a long time. The tension is so thick it can be cut with a knife sometimes. Get closer to eastern avenue, and Highland Town.

Hampden has only recently chilled out a bit to blacks, and vice versa in Remington with whites.

I could add some stories.........
I thought Remington was historically working class whites or maybe I am misreading your message? I have heard about clashes but mainly cultural ones between working class whites in say Hampden and Remington and newcomers who also tend to be white, more affluent and younger whose weapon of choice was 311 and 911
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore