U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2020, 05:07 PM
 
2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Reputation: 1250

Advertisements

Why the hell would you live in area that isn't safe, with high taxes, and further away from work when you could live ten minutes from work in a nice area and not even have to drive on the highway! And everything is close by?

I can't figure this one character out. Avoid paying attention to DBX!

That Hunt Valley Town Home I posted is in a very nice location.

Very few houses in Timonium are going to be around 300K.

Here's one on Rueter RD but this is another meh part of the area, https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M64753-20700

A lot of that area within a half mile of Giant food is kind of dumpy. Closer to, and on Pot Spring Road is very nice. East of Aylesbury is very nice. Just off of Dulaney Valley Road is mostly very nice, especially heading towards Loch Raven. And none of it would be 300K, much more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2020, 05:12 PM
 
2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Reputation: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Towson is more of a college town than anything else in that area, so if that's the vibe you're looking for, start there. Though, I'd be surprised if you can find anything there in your price range. Otherwise, Hunt Valley and Lutherville and Timonium and Cockeysville are basically your standard suburbia. The Light Rail has a stop in Timonium, which would work nicely if Cold Spring Lane is your destination.
Everything this person needs is here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2020, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
Reputation: 22055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Why the hell would you live in area that isn't safe, with high taxes, and further away from work when you could live ten minutes from work in a nice area and not even have to drive on the highway! And everything is close by?
The OP's job will be somewhere on Cold Spring Lane. It's her partner who will be working in Cockeysville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2020, 09:03 AM
 
2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Reputation: 1250
^
Read the thread! I did.

And neither of them would have to drive on 83, or 695 to get to work.

They could check Mays Chapel, but most Townhomes will be over 350K.

The OP want's Urban, or Suburban? And do they want to pay more for Urban?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2020, 09:16 AM
 
6,884 posts, read 10,438,532 times
Reputation: 2036
Some other areas to consider could be "Towson East" which is centered along Loch Raven Blvd in Baltimore County so its inside the Beltway. Older suburban mostly 1950s style rowhomes but very close to the mall in Towson and plenty of shopping in that area.. Not as "meh" as the outer suburbs but you may not get a single family home.. Still close to the Beltway and 83 to go up to Hunt Valley as a reverse commute..

Another area further east could be Parkville.. Also in the County at the edge of the City inside the beltway.. further east than Towson... BUT you can likely find a single family home in your price range.. Some streets in Parkville are better than others.. but it has a nice ish commercial areal along Harford Road that has some very down home dive bars, restaurants among other types of retail and shopping.....It feels very much like a "town" though the County has not official towns/cities... As does Essex, Dundalk, Pikesville, and Catonsville.. which are further away from where you may want to be though....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2020, 10:05 AM
 
2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Reputation: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Some other areas to consider could be "Towson East" which is centered along Loch Raven Blvd in Baltimore County so its inside the Beltway. Older suburban mostly 1950s style rowhomes but very close to the mall in Towson and plenty of shopping in that area.. Not as "meh" as the outer suburbs but you may not get a single family home.. Still close to the Beltway and 83 to go up to Hunt Valley as a reverse commute..

Another area further east could be Parkville.. Also in the County at the edge of the City inside the beltway.. further east than Towson... BUT you can likely find a single family home in your price range.. Some streets in Parkville are better than others.. but it has a nice ish commercial areal along Harford Road that has some very down home dive bars, restaurants among other types of retail and shopping.....It feels very much like a "town" though the County has not official towns/cities... As does Essex, Dundalk, Pikesville, and Catonsville.. which are further away from where you may want to be though....
That is not a great area. Loch Raven Blvd heading south below Joppa is not that great. And don't get to close to Hillendale.

I lived off of Oak RD in the early 70's, and that area has gone down the tubes.

The area heading east along Joppa Road is ugly! It reminds me of Dundalk without the heavy industry.

North, North, North!

Again Cold Spring Lane, Cockeysville so Falls Road, off of York Road above Seminary Avenue.

With the exception of around Giant, and Food Lion further north (Lots of apartments, meh) anywhere a mile or more east, or west from York Road is going to be very nice.

Some of these suggestions are certainly puzzling.

Last edited by Digger 68; 12-19-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2020, 01:53 AM
 
3,324 posts, read 3,101,450 times
Reputation: 6383
Quote:
Originally Posted by centraljerseydoesexist View Post
I've visited Baltimore quite a few times, being from Trenton, NJ, and always liked the city and the suburbs. It reminds me a lot of Philly but with a distinct character. I have a job offer in the city of Baltimore, located near Cold Spring station.

Where would you recommend that I live? Is this a good location to commute to by train, or is a car ideal? I want a single family home with parking, suburbs or city it doesn't matter. Budget is $310k, 2 br is fine. Don't care about schools.

I am a lesbian; Hispanic and my gf is Asian. We would prefer somewhere diverse, as Hispanics are rare in Baltimore, Black/White diversity is fine, just not too homogenous. Both of us are 33 and would like access to nightlife (after covid) and Baltimore's LGBT community, which I'm guessing is Downtown. Lastly I'd prefer to live someplace strongly liberal.

Thanks!
OP, The last sentence of your first post says it all. The counties surrounding Baltimore City are pretty conservative, even though there are a couple of recently elected democrat county executives. But Baltimore City is liberal, probably the most liberal big city in the country. It has been known as the San Francisco of the east because of the LGBT friendly laws . I believe it is the place in the Baltimore area where you would feel most at home.

As mentioned above, the Lauraville neighborhood could be a good choice because the neighborhood has been revived in the past few years with many lesbian families moving in. The LGBT community is centered just north of downtown in the Mount Vernon neighborhood.

Hispanics are not rare in Baltimore; they are about 5% of the population. There are a couple of communities of Hispanics in east Baltimore, centered along Eastern Avenue in Fells Point and Highlandtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2020, 07:55 AM
 
2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Reputation: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
OP, The last sentence of your first post says it all. The counties surrounding Baltimore City are pretty conservative, even though there are a couple of recently elected democrat county executives. But Baltimore City is liberal, probably the most liberal big city in the country. It has been known as the San Francisco of the east because of the LGBT friendly laws . I believe it is the place in the Baltimore area where you would feel most at home.

As mentioned above, the Laurelville neighborhood could be a good choice because the neighborhood has been revived in the past few years with many lesbian families moving in. The LGBT community is centered just north of downtown in the Mount Vernon neighborhood.

Hispanics are not rare in Baltimore; they are about 5% of the population. There are a couple of communities of Hispanics in east Baltimore, centered along Eastern Avenue in Fells Point and Highlandtown.
This is only partially true. But not where I am, and not along that Falls road Corridor, or the York Road corridor until you get north of Hunt Valley. District 2, and 7 (Trump's ****hole) are not conservative. The northern most part of District 7 would be conservative, but overall neither of the two districts would be conservative!

We aren't talking about moving to Harford, or Carroll County.

Hispanics are all over the place in this part of Cockeysville........As are East Indians, and Blacks. It does become more white when you get away from the Apartments.

Nobody around here is going to care if the OP is gay or not! There is an older lesbian couple right across the street from me. Been there 20 years!

I can walk 10 miles in any direction and not feel unsafe. And not pay more in property taxes for it. And every shopping amenity is less than two miles away. They could spit to the town center from that one townhome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 AM
 
4,041 posts, read 5,653,982 times
Reputation: 4497
https://www.pridecentermd.org

https://www.mccbaltimore.org
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2020, 12:09 PM
 
6,884 posts, read 10,438,532 times
Reputation: 2036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
This is only partially true. But not where I am, and not along that Falls road Corridor, or the York Road corridor until you get north of Hunt Valley. District 2, and 7 (Trump's ****hole) are not conservative. The northern most part of District 7 would be conservative, but overall neither of the two districts would be conservative!

We aren't talking about moving to Harford, or Carroll County.

Hispanics are all over the place in this part of Cockeysville........As are East Indians, and Blacks. It does become more white when you get away from the Apartments.

Nobody around here is going to care if the OP is gay or not! There is an older lesbian couple right across the street from me. Been there 20 years!

I can walk 10 miles in any direction and not feel unsafe. And not pay more in property taxes for it. And every shopping amenity is less than two miles away. They could spit to the town center from that one townhome.
Your are right everything is up there. I live in the north part of Baltimore City and do most of my shopping in either Towson or Hunt Valley.. just because I can hit 83 head north and then get on 695 or stay on 83.. Home Depot, Target, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods... its all up there. or in Towson.. Its easy to get in and out

I used to go to Target at Mondawmin.. until it closed and we have a Home Depot at Reisterstown Plaza... as much as I want to support businesses in the City.. its easier sometimes to go to the ones in Hunt Valley or even Pikesville than slogging across the city.. During COVID it hasnt been as bad slogging.. but because I can hit other stores in addition to Target by going into the County so its a little more convenient at times. That said, I try to support businesses in the city when I can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top