U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 3,635 times

Advertisements

I've visited Baltimore quite a few times, being from Trenton, NJ, and always liked the city and the suburbs. It reminds me a lot of Philly but with a distinct character. I have a job offer in the city of Baltimore, located near Cold Spring station.

Where would you recommend that I live? Is this a good location to commute to by train, or is a car ideal? I want a single family home with parking, suburbs or city it doesn't matter. Budget is $310k, 2 br is fine. Don't care about schools.

I am a lesbian; Hispanic and my gf is Asian. We would prefer somewhere diverse, as Hispanics are rare in Baltimore, Black/White diversity is fine, just not too homogenous. Both of us are 33 and would like access to nightlife (after covid) and Baltimore's LGBT community, which I'm guessing is Downtown. Lastly I'd prefer to live someplace strongly liberal.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 08:19 AM

6,883 posts, read 10,438,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centraljerseydoesexist View Post
I've visited Baltimore quite a few times, being from Trenton, NJ, and always liked the city and the suburbs. It reminds me a lot of Philly but with a distinct character. I have a job offer in the city of Baltimore, located near Cold Spring station.

Where would you recommend that I live? Is this a good location to commute to by train, or is a car ideal? I want a single family home with parking, suburbs or city it doesn't matter. Budget is $310k, 2 br is fine. Don't care about schools.

I am a lesbian; Hispanic and my gf is Asian. We would prefer somewhere diverse, as Hispanics are rare in Baltimore, Black/White diversity is fine, just not too homogenous. Both of us are 33 and would like access to nightlife (after covid) and Baltimore's LGBT community, which I'm guessing is Downtown. Lastly I'd prefer to live someplace strongly liberal.

Thanks!
Baltimore is very similar to Philly though Philly seems way more "urban" than Baltimore likely because it bigger and more populated.. Baltimore doesnt seem as congested as Philly.. streets and sidewalks in the rowhome districts seem more spacious while Philly feels way more cramped... but that may be just me.

If you live and work in the City.. you can use transit, but it is likely quicker to simply drive. Baltimore is not Philly or DC and you can move about relatively easily.

Option 1

Most of the "nightlife" in Baltimore City is in the SE section of the City.. Canton, Fells Point Harbor East. They will certainly check all the boxes in that regard but they are rowhome, townhome and condo areas.. no real single family homes. I would also include Federal Hill in South Baltimore and Washington Village (Pigtown) in SW in this category as well.

Option 2

You can also look at Mt. Vernon, Station North, Charles Village and Hampden just north of downtown. Also rowhome districts but often cater to young families and people who may want to be near nightlife but not IN the nightlife like the areas in the SE section of the city. All have neighborhood amenities parks, a few restaurants and coffee shops that are low key. Hampden in particular has "the Ave" along 36th while Charles Village has a small commercial area near Johns Hopkins.

Option 3

Lauraville and Hamilton this area also has young families, diverse, near small neighborhood focused retail areas that you can walk to.. and most importantly these areas have single family homes..craftsman cottages and four squares and is widely sought after by young families. Further from downtown than Options 1 and 2

Option 4

Mt. Washington, Cheswolde, and Glen

Furthest from downtown BUT CLOSEST to where you said you would be working is near Coldspring Station (not sure if that was light rail or metro subway.. both have a Coldspring Station). These areas are very family oriented very diverse with african americans and jewish families more family oriented..Mostly craftsman, four squares but also some midcentury modern type homes especially in Cheswolde. The only area that has any form of "nightlife" is Mt. Washington in Mt. Washington Village which is a neighborhood commercial area that has mostly a few independent restaurants and a Whole Foods. A couple of the restaurants may have a bar but are not bars per se...

All of these areas are in the City.. I will let other weigh in on the County options but I think if you want to be close to your work AND live in the City these may be your better bets.

My recommendations would be Option 3 or 4 if you are looking to live in the City long term... Some people that live in Options 1 or 2 end up moving into the ones in Options 3 and 4 as they get older and want more space and privacy or have kids. Again, its Baltimore.. so you can easily visit any area with relative ease even if you live in another.

Hope this is helpful

Old 12-17-2020, 08:37 AM

330 posts, read 122,088 times
Baltimore doesn't have the large Hispanic presence that Philadelphia does, but it's not non-existent either. There's a big community in upper Fells Point.

With a budget of 310k for a single family house, inside the city you would get the most bang for your buck in Lake Walker (zip 21212) and Lauraville (21214). They are not to everyone's taste, most families avoid them because the zoned schools are not good, but they, especially Lake Walker, are safe and have a community presence. It would be a relatively easy drive through the city on Cold Spring to your workplace. Lake Walker is more conveniently located to the popular amenities while Lauraville is an island.

You might also be able to find something in parts of Mount Washington (21209) and particularly the western part (Mount Washington Heights, mostly zip 21215). Very close to your office.

If you can contemplate a rowhouse, you should be able to find a 2-bed, even 3-bed in Hamden, which is right off Cold Spring and Baltimore's hippest neighborhood and has a decent hip LGBTA presence now. Hamden is probably the safest long term investment compared to Lauraville and Lake Walker. Zip is 21211.

You also need to decide if you are comfortable paying city taxes, which are double what you'd pay in the suburbs.

Do drive around and explore the neighborhoods to get a sense of what works for you.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:43 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Mount Washington or somewhere along Falls Road. Hamden is in the City with higher Taxes, although it's an option.

North, North North!

City Taxes are going to be much higher. It will be a challenge at your price point anywhere desirable.

What's more important, proximity to work, or nightlife?

I can drive through Timonium and see BLM signs, even out here in Cockeysville, and have seen the LGBT Rainbow flag often.

The suburbs aren't the sticks, nor are they bastions of conservatives!

Woodlands gave you an excellent brake down.

Last edited by Digger 68; 12-17-2020 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-17-2020, 12:40 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
OP, which Cold Spring Station will you be working at? There's one on the Metro Subway (the station is called West Cold Spring) and one on the Light Rail (the station is called Cold Spring Lane).

I believe that there is a decent LBGT presence in the Mount Vernon neighborhood, located on the northern side of downtown. You could walk to the Light Rail pretty easily, and you could walk to the Metro Subway depending on which part of the area you live. But there are no single-family houses in that area.

Will your partner need to commute, and if so, where to? This should be factored into the equation as well.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:05 PM

6 posts, read 3,635 times
Default OP Clarification

My gf will work in Corkeysville I forgot to mention so we'd realistically wanna live further north than most of the suggestions here. Does anyone have any ideas for living in Baltimore County?

Old 12-17-2020, 11:08 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centraljerseydoesexist View Post
My gf will work in Corkeysville I forgot to mention so we'd realistically wanna live further north than most of the suggestions here. Does anyone have any ideas for living in Baltimore County?
So Urban, or Suburban? The Suburbs around here are like Urban light.

I have lived in Cockeysville for 43 years, (3 Years in Timonium) so if you want more info I can elaborate.

There are some popular bars, but nothing for the LGBT Community. Although I seriously doubt you would have issues.

Like I said above, 300K is going to be tough. I live in Carlton Square, the area right around Greenside, and Cranbrook is meh. Not unsafe, but just not that great of an area. Elementary School at one end of Greenside, and Middle School at the other. By the Middle School would be nicer, but again you can forget 300K. Two new houses on a busy corner sold for 500K, and just a half a block from the Chevrolet Dealership at the other end they built 5 houses, and the first one completed on a hill sold for 699k (Nuts)

BOL. You will most likely be looking at Townhomes out here, and you will have to look for your 300K, anything less will be a dump.

Anything in east, north east, and North Cockeysville will be nice. Hunt Valley is nice (Hunt Valley is in Cockeysville not matter what anybody tries to say)

Oh, and everything is out here unlike the city! It's centralized along the ugly commercial zone of York Road. Once you get above Hunt Valley it's beautiful.

Also check houses for sale along, and just off of Falls Road north of Hamden. Maybe you might find your price point. Doubt it though.

More interesting architecture in the city, but there are some neat enclaves out here.

This would be nice. You would be right by the Town Center. (And a hell of a lot nice than some areas mentioned in the city) https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...64776180_zpid/

Last edited by Digger 68; 12-17-2020 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-18-2020, 12:17 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,067,109 times
Towson is more of a college town than anything else in that area, so if that's the vibe you're looking for, start there. Though, I'd be surprised if you can find anything there in your price range. Otherwise, Hunt Valley and Lutherville and Timonium and Cockeysville are basically your standard suburbia. The Light Rail has a stop in Timonium, which would work nicely if Cold Spring Lane is your destination.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:05 PM

330 posts, read 122,088 times
Baltimore is not a big city. The difference between Baltimore and Philadelphia, if that is your reference point, is that the much smaller size of the metro area means getting around is also much easier. There's no reason to think you can't live in Hampden or Lauraville and not be able to commute to Cockeysville. The region is small enough that it's very feasible to find the neighborhood that fits you best and let the commutes work out. Cockeysville and environs are standard suburbia of no particular merit or redeeming value beyond being safe and steady standard suburbia and your budget will get you a modest townhouse somewhere off the I-83 corridor that runs through Cockeysville, including nearby Timonium and Lutherville. But you don't have to live in Cockeysville.

I would advise renting for a year before deciding to buy. There are many neighborhoods both in the city and suburbs and it would be a mistake to rush into one blindly.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:15 PM

156 posts, read 274,628 times
Timonium is fine for ~300k and provides easy access to I-83, i.e., a straight shot into young, diverse nightlife @ mid-/up- town baltimore. You may even find that in Towson, a hop and a skip away, which'll certainly at least remind you of Jersey.

North 695 is killer anymore & I wouldn't recommend a commute that involves having to utilize it for any length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore