U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 AM

921 posts, read 572,747 times

Advertisements

Hi again all,
Any thoughts on the Butcher Hill neighborhood? Like around Baltimore and Wolfe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 10:00 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,124,182 times
Sketchy. Remember you are getting very close to the projects. Upper Fells would not be my pick.
You couldn't pay me to live on Baltimore Street.

I have no idea why you keep looking down there. As others have said Hampden. And there are houses in Hamden that would be around 200K near 36th street. They are small. Much safer.

I see some house on Bueno Vista. My Mother and her Family lived on Bueno Vista 70 years ago.

The nice parts of the city you are interested in are going to be pricey.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:19 AM

330 posts, read 122,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Sketchy. Remember you are getting very close to the projects. Upper Fells would not be my pick.
You couldn't pay me to live on Baltimore Street.

I have no idea why you keep looking down there. As others have said Hampden. And there are houses in Hamden that would be around 200K near 36th street. They are small. Much safer.

I see some house on Bueno Vista. My Mother and her Family lived on Bueno Vista 70 years ago.

The nice parts of the city you are interested in are going to be pricey.
Fells, Patterson Park, Upper Fells and Canton are very popular areas with young people. Upper Fells has a large resident Hispanic population as well as young professionals. It's walkable to the bars and restaurants of Fells Point, has its own local places, is close to Patterson Park. I can easily see why someone would prefer the area.

You do need some urban smarts if you live in Upper Fells or Butchers Hill. But it's not a bad area either.

It's hard to find something in Hampden for sub 250 that isn't a total gut rehab. You do get a bit more for your money in Upper Fells.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Fells, Patterson Park, Upper Fells and Canton are very popular areas with young people. Upper Fells has a large resident Hispanic population as well as young professionals. It's walkable to the bars and restaurants of Fells Point, has its own local places, is close to Patterson Park. I can easily see why someone would prefer the area.

You do need some urban smarts if you live in Upper Fells or Butchers Hill. But it's not a bad area either.

It's hard to find something in Hampden for sub 250 that isn't a total gut rehab. You do get a bit more for your money in Upper Fells.
It's a zoo.......It's hard to find anything in the metro under $250K in a nice area.

Patterson park has been popular for along time......

Go down to Hampden and look around. Something is down there. The OP needs to work with a good local realtor.

And no, for under 200K you are not going to skip in there....

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...n_Baltimore_MD

Old 01-15-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Agree, these have been my findings. To everyone that continually tells me to look at the more out-neighborhoods, I have been. The issues are extremely low inventory and higher price points than I would like. I appreciate the context around Butchers Hill and Upper Fells neighborhoods. Out of curiosity, which street would you consider starts Upper Fells? Fleet? Eastern? Bank?

Edit to add, there is currently one house for sale in Hampden that is in my budget and it's a total gut. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...36484662_zpid/

From what I'm seeing, empty lots go for 200k and up.

Also edit to add: i have some showings this weekend with a realtor for several neighborhoods. Just trying to get some independent research done as realtors ultimately, and understandably, want to seal a deal. And uneducated buyer is an unprepared buyer.

Old 01-15-2021, 04:50 PM

You did not look at the link in my post?

There is not going to be much under 250K....

Old 01-15-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
You did not look at the link in my post?

There is not going to be much under 250K....
Yeah, I saw your link. About 75% of the properties on there are pending or contingent, and the others are mainly large family homes over 300k. So net/net, the neighborhoods up that way don't seem to work for me. My realtor and I found about 10 properties below Gough Street b/t Wolfe and Broadway for under 210k (several under 200 and a few well under 200). The photos show some updating needed, but they look move-in ready. Sure, they're very tight trinities, but that's what I'm looking for. I'm going to see them tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back. One is in Butchers Hill up near Baltimore so I'll get a good look at that area firsthand.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 PM

330 posts, read 122,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yeah, I saw your link. About 75% of the properties on there are pending or contingent, and the others are mainly large family homes over 300k. So net/net, the neighborhoods up that way don't seem to work for me. My realtor and I found about 10 properties below Gough Street b/t Wolfe and Broadway for under 210k (several under 200 and a few well under 200). The photos show some updating needed, but they look move-in ready. Sure, they're very tight trinities, but that's what I'm looking for. I'm going to see them tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back. One is in Butchers Hill up near Baltimore so I'll get a good look at that area firsthand.
You probably found the Upper Fells/Butchers Hill area similar enough to perhaps Bella Vista and Passyunk (at least more Bella Vista than Point Breeze!). It's not Queen Village but it's livable and has young people around.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You probably found the Upper Fells/Butchers Hill area similar enough to perhaps Bella Vista and Passyunk (at least more Bella Vista than Point Breeze!). It's not Queen Village but it's livable and has young people around.
Yeah, most of Upper Fells and Butchers Hill seemed totally fine to me. I also saw a great place a block away from Patterson Park, which seem like an awesome recreation area. It was packed when we drove by it and that was late afternoon on a colder day. Only issue around there is it seems almost exclusively residential. From driving around a bit and google mapping today, it looks like a car ride is a necessity to go out to a decent restaurant or pub. For now my daughter is renting a cool walk up in Little Italy, so there's no huge rush for me to buy. Lot of potential to make a very nice profit renting out a place from what I've seen...

Old 01-18-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yeah, most of Upper Fells and Butchers Hill seemed totally fine to me. I also saw a great place a block away from Patterson Park, which seem like an awesome recreation area. It was packed when we drove by it and that was late afternoon on a colder day. Only issue around there is it seems almost exclusively residential. From driving around a bit and google mapping today, it looks like a car ride is a necessity to go out to a decent restaurant or pub. For now my daughter is renting a cool walk up in Little Italy, so there's no huge rush for me to buy. Lot of potential to make a very nice profit renting out a place from what I've seen...
And anything else will take a car drive.......(I am always puzzled at what is to far to walk to) many shopping amenities will be limited.

You never mentioned anything about that she was renting down there already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore