U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 04:39 PM

921 posts, read 573,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
And anything else will take a car drive.......(I am always puzzled at what is to far to walk to) many shopping amenities will be limited.

You never mentioned anything about that she was renting down there already.
Yeah, we didn't have a choice. Couldn't find something to buy in time, so had to rent. Her semester starts tomorrow. We moved in her in over the weekend and then the three of us (wife, daughter, me) went on the quick house tour. I don't love paying 1k rent, but her place is super nice and the neighborhood seems great. It's definitely the smart thing to do as we get to know the area better... instead of trying to rush a purchase. I do really like the city for real estate investment though. We saw a few places where rent overages would be between 350-650/month conservatively. Hard to get those kind of returns in most cities I've encountered.

Too far to walk, is of course, relative. For me, I look at it like this: if it's far enough that in the summer I'll arrive the restaurant or pub sweating profusely, or if in the winter, I arrive there half frozen, it's too far to walk.

Last edited by Pennsport; 01-18-2021 at 04:48 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 09:15 AM

330 posts, read 122,882 times
When I lived in Philadelphia I lived just off Rittenhouse Square and regularly walked to Society Hill and even Passyunk a few times. My view is that people regularly overestimate how long it takes to walk somewhere, especially in urban areas. If you're young and in good shape, it really shouldn't take long to walk from most of Butchers Hill or Upper Fells to Canton. It's a straight shot southward on most streets. And there are some popular restaurants/bars within Upper Fells/Butchers. When things open up again these places will be more visible. The one caveat, as always, is urban smarts. You do have to be a bit more aware compared to Center City and South Philadelphia.

Little Italy probably has some of the best prices of the waterfront neighborhoods and a very convenient location. For some reason many buyers never think of looking in Little Italy, despite that it's just outside Harbor East. It could be a good long term investment. The main downside to Little Italy is that there is no good Italian grocery store, which puzzles me.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:26 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,125,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
When I lived in Philadelphia I lived just off Rittenhouse Square and regularly walked to Society Hill and even Passyunk a few times. My view is that people regularly overestimate how long it takes to walk somewhere, especially in urban areas. If you're young and in good shape, it really shouldn't take long to walk from most of Butchers Hill or Upper Fells to Canton. It's a straight shot southward on most streets. And there are some popular restaurants/bars within Upper Fells/Butchers. When things open up again these places will be more visible. The one caveat, as always, is urban smarts. You do have to be a bit more aware compared to Center City and South Philadelphia.

Little Italy probably has some of the best prices of the waterfront neighborhoods and a very convenient location. For some reason many buyers never think of looking in Little Italy, despite that it's just outside Harbor East. It could be a good long term investment. The main downside to Little Italy is that there is no good Italian grocery store, which puzzles me.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 10,440,484 times
Quote:

Yeah.. Perkins Homes is being redeveloped. There will likely be new townhomes and apartments in that development which may provide an option for a new townhome in an older part of town.. I have no idea what the price point would be.. When I first moved to the City.. I was interested in a unit down in Jonestown.. but my wife made me decide against it ... but I liked the proximity to downtown and to the water.. The area to the east wasnt the best but it has/is improving slowly over time.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:52 PM

6,884 posts, read 10,440,484 times
Quote:
yeah.. I think would agree.. Center City/South Philly has a lot of street activity so you dont feel isolated during most normal hours even after bar hopping. Canton/Upper Fells on the other hand tends to be concentrated around the bar districts and major streets.. When you get off of those.. even on the best streets you can feel quite isolated. I remember walking several blocks along Fait Street to a friends house. When I left at about 1am.. the streets were deserted. I could hear a few people here and there.. but they were mostly on their roof top decks..so they would likely hear you scream but have no idea where its coming from to direct the Police......

Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,125,357 times
There might be folks playing paddy cake around, and in Paterson park during the day, especially on the weekend, but I wouldn't live down there.

The OP has an apartment for her daughter in Little Italy and that makes more sense to me now.

Regardless of what any of us told her she had her mind made up like so many do on here. It's like they want affirmation of their own choice, not other, possibly better options.
What amuses me is people think there are CHEAP places to live in cities like Baltimore. Cities, and most large metros are not cheap! Nor have they been for decades!

Old 01-20-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
What amuses me is people think there are CHEAP places to live in cities like Baltimore. Cities, and most large metros are not cheap! Nor have they been for decades!
Oh, there's plenty of cheap areas. It depends on your tolerance level and what you're looking for.

There are still quiet, decent, reasonably well kept neighborhoods where you can get a modest house for sub 250, even sub 200k if you know where to look. They won't be fashionable or popular and won't have the potential for rapid appreciation.

The Baltimore metro area is the cheapest metro area in the northeast. You'd need to go to Richmond or westwards to Pittsburgh for something comparably inexpensive. And it is staggeringly cheap compared to DC down the road, and slightly cheaper than Philadelphia up the road.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
yeah.. I think would agree.. Center City/South Philly has a lot of street activity so you dont feel isolated during most normal hours even after bar hopping. Canton/Upper Fells on the other hand tends to be concentrated around the bar districts and major streets.. When you get off of those.. even on the best streets you can feel quite isolated. I remember walking several blocks along Fait Street to a friends house. When I left at about 1am.. the streets were deserted. I could hear a few people here and there.. but they were mostly on their roof top decks..so they would likely hear you scream but have no idea where its coming from to direct the Police......
That is my biggest issue with the downtown areas, including Mount Vernon and Bolton Hill. Compared to center city Philadelphia there are far fewer people around at any given time. It's not too bad when you are in the heart of Fells or Federal or Canton, but just a few blocks away the atmosphere does suddenly get much quieter, making those nighttime walks home a bit less secure.

I was looking at houses both in Otterbein and Towson at the same time and drove through downtown and Mount Vernon on sunny Saturday/Sunday afternoons from one open house to another and it surprised me how empty Mount Vernon and downtown felt when they should be busier. Even the York Road corridor alongside Rodgers Forge and Stoneleigh had far more people walking around to the stores than Mount Vernon!

It's a real shame. Downtown Baltimore could be quite special. Perhaps it will be someday.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Oh, there's plenty of cheap areas. It depends on your tolerance level and what you're looking for.

There are still quiet, decent, reasonably well kept neighborhoods where you can get a modest house for sub 250, even sub 200k if you know where to look. They won't be fashionable or popular and won't have the potential for rapid appreciation.

The Baltimore metro area is the cheapest metro area in the northeast. You'd need to go to Richmond or westwards to Pittsburgh for something comparably inexpensive. And it is staggeringly cheap compared to DC down the road, and slightly cheaper than Philadelphia up the road.
Completely agree. This has certainly been my first-hand experience. I actually think there are a TON of affordable places down there where a substantial rental overage can be achieved. Better margins than any city I've seen recently. I do wish they'd reduce real estate taxes a bit though, and from what I understand from my realtor, when you buy, the city re-assesses the house based on your purchase price starting in year one. That almost encourages lower purchase prices, which is really detrimental to the city growth. For instance, I saw a great house I would normally move on for like 230k, but with taxes around 5300, you have to factor in that increased monthly cost (especially when considering renting the place). Makes me move back down to the 205k range only bc those places usually have taxes around 3k. Big difference.

FYI, it's getting more than slightly cheaper than Philly, if you want to be in the city proper or contingent neighborhoods anyway. For a comparison, contingent city Philly neighborhoods would be basically everything in Baltimore north to south and east (obiovusly) and west to maybe around the zoo. If you want to get into surrounding city neighborhoods (i.e. Germantown, NE Philly, etc...), sure, but you might as well not even live in the city then.

Last edited by Pennsport; 01-20-2021 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-20-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That is my biggest issue with the downtown areas, including Mount Vernon and Bolton Hill. Compared to center city Philadelphia there are far fewer people around at any given time. It's not too bad when you are in the heart of Fells or Federal or Canton, but just a few blocks away the atmosphere does suddenly get much quieter, making those nighttime walks home a bit less secure.

I was looking at houses both in Otterbein and Towson at the same time and drove through downtown and Mount Vernon on sunny Saturday/Sunday afternoons from one open house to another and it surprised me how empty Mount Vernon and downtown felt when they should be busier. Even the York Road corridor alongside Rodgers Forge and Stoneleigh had far more people walking around to the stores than Mount Vernon!

It's a real shame. Downtown Baltimore could be quite special. Perhaps it will be someday.
That's good info. I guess I just assumed Baltimore city was vibrant and busy pretty much at all hours except possibly 3-5am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore