Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 10:13 PM

8 posts, read 8,666 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Pretty new here, I do the occasional reading but I am in a conundrum and I am coming here for some advice/feedback.

I recently moved to Baltimore in a very affordable rental for a temp position but that looks like its becoming a permanent thing by next year. Now I am planning ahead for a home purchase but I need pointers for a proper purchase.

As far as I have learned being here, homes are pretty good in some areas and in others not so much. They're great on the inside, but they look pretty beat up on the outside. I am looking for something that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. I am deciding between a townhouse or a condo with a max budget of 250k, but this will change as I learn more about my future position. I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom with 2-2.5 bathrooms. Garage is an absolute. My job also requires at most a 20 min commute from work due to the nature of my work (Pimlico). I was suggested places like Fells Point, Canton, Federal hill, Locust Point, Mt Vernon, Mt Washington, Hamden, Harbor East, Pikesville, and Towson.

Should I look for a condo or townhouse? Do you think I should look for other types of homes? What is bad or good about owning a condo vs a townhouse? Any ideal location for the things I'm looking for? What is a realistic budget for my expectations? ANY guidance would be helpful, general to specific. Also, yes I am aware safety is generally a mix in Baltimore, but I think its safe to assume I would like to stay in a safe area. I am also into social outings, hiking/outdoor adventures, etc. and I am a foodie so being close to various restaurants is a plus!

Let me know you what you guys think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 05:19 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekozoid View Post
I recently moved to Baltimore in a very affordable rental...
Find another affordable rental like a share with one of your new b'more friends.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:52 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Pretty new here, I do the occasional reading but I am in a conundrum and I am coming here for some advice/feedback.

I recently moved to Baltimore in a very affordable rental for a temp position but that looks like its becoming a permanent thing by next year. Now I am planning ahead for a home purchase but I need pointers for a proper purchase.

As far as I have learned being here, homes are pretty good in some areas and in others not so much. They're great on the inside, but they look pretty beat up on the outside. I am looking for something that doesn't require a lot of maintenance. I am deciding between a townhouse or a condo with a max budget of 250k, but this will change as I learn more about my future position. I'm looking for a 2-3 bedroom with 2-2.5 bathrooms. Garage is an absolute. My job also requires at most a 20 min commute from work due to the nature of my work (Pimlico). I was suggested places like Fells Point, Canton, Federal hill, Locust Point, Mt Vernon, Mt Washington, Hamden, Harbor East, Pikesville, and Towson.

Should I look for a condo or townhouse? Do you think I should look for other types of homes? What is bad or good about owning a condo vs a townhouse? Any ideal location for the things I'm looking for? What is a realistic budget for my expectations? ANY guidance would be helpful, general to specific. Also, yes I am aware safety is generally a mix in Baltimore, but I think its safe to assume I would like to stay in a safe area. I am also into social outings, hiking/outdoor adventures, etc. and I am a foodie so being close to various restaurants is a plus!

You said you work in (Pimlico)... .. I would assume that you may work at Sinai-Lifebridge? The only reason why I bring that up is that Lifebridge used to participate in the Live Near Your Work Program where they would provide a small grant for down payment and closing cost for homebuyers that worked for Lifebridge and wanted to live near the campus. If the program is still offered... Cylburn (neighborhood) Levindale, and Glen neighborhoods that orbit the campus were areas that qualified under that program.. All that being said, based on your price point you can likely find houses in most of the areas you listed with size/type being the driving factor. Commute wise any of the neighborhoods are within striking distance of Pimlico...So it will boil down to the type of house and neighborhood you are interested in as all the ones you have listed appeal to different types of buyers... Taxes in the City are higher so your money may go a little further in Pikesville and Towson.

IF you provide more detail on the type of neighborhood and housing stock you prefer you will likely get other responses and more specifics...

Old 12-30-2020, 01:08 PM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Finding a property that comes with an usable garage for 250k or less is going to be very difficult. I would not make it a deal breaker.

If you're fine with a condo, a good affordable option is Cross Keys. 10 minutes away. Some of the buildings have covered parking.

But keep in mind inventory is extremely limited anywhere in the region.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:20 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
OP, when you say you want a garage (and as one who has a garage, I totally get it), would this include a covered parking garage? If so, this might expand your options. I think it's going to be hard to find a garage on a city townhouse in places like Federal Hill, and even harder to find one for a condo building, unless you'll accept a shared parking garage.

Would you rather live in the city or the suburbs? If you work at Sinai or Pimlico itself, you're close enough to the city-county line that it's easily feasible to live in either one and keep your commute within 20 minutes. As a general rule of thumb when you're looking in Northwest Baltimore, north of Northern Parkway is much nicer than south of it. (It's amazing how drastically the environment changes from one side of the street to the other.)

As far as the townhouse vs. condo issue, it boils down to two things. One, do you mind climbing stairs? And two, would you rather have neighbors only on one side or the other (or both), or would you rather have them on some or all of over, under, left, or right? Two bedroom condos shouldn't be hard to find, but I think it'll be tougher to get one with three bedrooms; that's definitely townhouse territory.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
You said you work in (Pimlico)... .. I would assume that you may work at Sinai-Lifebridge? The only reason why I bring that up is that Lifebridge used to participate in the Live Near Your Work Program where they would provide a small grant for down payment and closing cost for homebuyers that worked for Lifebridge and wanted to live near the campus. If the program is still offered... Cylburn (neighborhood) Levindale, and Glen neighborhoods that orbit the campus were areas that qualified under that program.. All that being said, based on your price point you can likely find houses in most of the areas you listed with size/type being the driving factor. Commute wise any of the neighborhoods are within striking distance of Pimlico...So it will boil down to the type of house and neighborhood you are interested in as all the ones you have listed appeal to different types of buyers... Taxes in the City are higher so your money may go a little further in Pikesville and Towson.

IF you provide more detail on the type of neighborhood and housing stock you prefer you will likely get other responses and more specifics...

Hey Sorry for the delay! Been quite busy with work and holidays and all! Happy New years to you btw!! Yes, so I will have to admit I do work at Sinai-Lifebridge. No, I did not know that they have that unique thing called the Live Near Your Work Program, I will ask my coworkers about that and see if they know anything about it as well!

In terms of type of neighborhood, to me as long as its a quite and safe area thats all that matters really. I do not have any kids nor do I expect any any time soon to be quite frank. I am a single young guy trying to make a career for himself really. For me, I like a more modern home. Although I admire a good age in a home with their historical relevance, I am not seeking this right now at the moment. I like Pikesville, but I did not see a lot homes for sale there than stores and rentals. I could be wrong though? Is there anywhere in Pikesville or Townson you think I should look into?

Old 01-02-2021, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Finding a property that comes with an usable garage for 250k or less is going to be very difficult. I would not make it a deal breaker.

If you're fine with a condo, a good affordable option is Cross Keys. 10 minutes away. Some of the buildings have covered parking.

But keep in mind inventory is extremely limited anywhere in the region.

This is fantastic, I will be checking into this!! Thank you so much!

Old 01-02-2021, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
OP, when you say you want a garage (and as one who has a garage, I totally get it), would this include a covered parking garage? If so, this might expand your options. I think it's going to be hard to find a garage on a city townhouse in places like Federal Hill, and even harder to find one for a condo building, unless you'll accept a shared parking garage.

Would you rather live in the city or the suburbs? If you work at Sinai or Pimlico itself, you're close enough to the city-county line that it's easily feasible to live in either one and keep your commute within 20 minutes. As a general rule of thumb when you're looking in Northwest Baltimore, north of Northern Parkway is much nicer than south of it. (It's amazing how drastically the environment changes from one side of the street to the other.)

As far as the townhouse vs. condo issue, it boils down to two things. One, do you mind climbing stairs? And two, would you rather have neighbors only on one side or the other (or both), or would you rather have them on some or all of over, under, left, or right? Two bedroom condos shouldn't be hard to find, but I think it'll be tougher to get one with three bedrooms; that's definitely townhouse territory.

Yes, exactly, sorry I did not make this clear prior. I want a covered parking garage. If I even have a covered lot with an assigned parking spot that to me works, too! I like both city and suburbs as I see and experienced the perks of both! And I hear ya about Northern parkway! I feel the difference as I commute from Sinai to NW. Hmmm, So north of northern parkway is better? Any good neighborhoods you recommend outside of the list I was provided? Yeah I think 2 bedrooms will be plenty for me as I think about it more and more. I only have an issue with noise, I am not a fan of loud noises aka kids running around dropping things, crying, screaming, etc. My job is stressful, when I come home I want some solitude

Old 01-02-2021, 06:40 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I only have an issue with noise, I am not a fan of loud noises aka kids running around dropping things, crying, screaming, etc. My job is stressful, when I come home I want some solitude
Low density neighborhoods consisting of single family houses are going to be quieter than high density townhouse or condo neighborhoods. And residential neighborhoods are going to be quieter than ones with a lot of commercial activity, especially places that are open at night (i.e. bars and restaurants). If peace and quiet is a priority, I think you would do well to look at the crescent that is formed by Northern Parkway to the south, Park Heights Avenue to the west, the Beltway (or Old Court Road) to the north, and Falls Road or maybe Charles Street to the east. Second choice would be to expand your western boundary to Liberty Road. Bonus, a good number of the houses in this area will come equipped with garages, or at least carports.

Some of the neighborhoods in this area, like Ruxton and probably Sudbrook Park, will be out of your price range. But you might be able to make other parts of it work.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Low density neighborhoods consisting of single family houses are going to be quieter than high density townhouse or condo neighborhoods. And residential neighborhoods are going to be quieter than ones with a lot of commercial activity, especially places that are open at night (i.e. bars and restaurants). If peace and quiet is a priority, I think you would do well to look at the crescent that is formed by Northern Parkway to the south, Park Heights Avenue to the west, the Beltway (or Old Court Road) to the north, and Falls Road or maybe Charles Street to the east. Second choice would be to expand your western boundary to Liberty Road. Bonus, a good number of the houses in this area will come equipped with garages, or at least carports.

Some of the neighborhoods in this area, like Ruxton and probably Sudbrook Park, will be out of your price range. But you might be able to make other parts of it work.

This is all great info! I like what you mentioned, I will take a look into these areas. I am also open to any suggestions that fall outside of my preferences, I am an open minded person, so if there are any other suggestions that are out there, please feel free to post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: