U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2021, 12:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

My gf and I have job offers in Downtown and Annapolis. They're better than the ones we have in Philly so we're seriously considering leaving the area for the first time in our lives. Our budget is $350k and we are looking to buy a house or rowhouse. This would be a long term arrangement.

I would like to live in the city itself, somewhere near the harbor, with access to events, nightlife, etc. whereas my gf wants to live in a quieter suburban area that is safe with sizeable backyards and space between homes. She also wants to be closer to her job in Annapolis, and thinks its unfair for us to live in Downtown since its way closer to my job than hers. Additionally my gf has trouble sleeping in a noisy area. Any advice on which would be the best fit for us? We're in our late 20s, I'm White she is Black, both of us grew up in middle class Philly suburbs. I know young people mostly congregate in urban neighborhoods, but which areas of the suburbs are the best for young people?

A. Which areas of Baltimore City would be the best fit?
B. Which areas of Anne Arundel County would be the best fit?
C. Anywhere else we might wanna consider looking?

Thanks! Feedback is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 06:33 AM

31,549 posts, read 71,004,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuba2 View Post
My gf and I have job offers in Downtown and Annapolis.
I would like to live in the city itself, somewhere near the harbor, with access to events, nightlife, etc.
...whereas my gf wants to live in a quieter suburban area that is safe with sizeable backyards and space between homes
...thinks its unfair for us to live in Downtown since its way closer to my job than hers.
And she's right. How many kids do you have (or expect to) and where would they go to school?

Quote:
Feedback is appreciated.
BOTH partners having tough commutes (see map link) is something to be tolerated -- NOT planned for in advance.
Tolerated but only for as long as it takes for one of them to find a job closer to the other.

So.. don't plan to buy anytime soon. Like 2-3 years. Second kid or first at school age etc.
Figure out the day to day logistics WITHOUT the obligation of a mortgage complicating things.
Once you've learned your way around and made some friends... THEN make those choices.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,235 times
Default clarification

We don't have kids and aren't planning on it ever. Neither of us want to.

Living in a suburban area could be tough for a couple in our late 20s since nearly everyone else there would be families with kids, older couples, etc. and very little to do for people like us, and being far away from the city. That's why I'm not sure about it.

We are looking to buy, as written in the post. Appreciate the insight but we are looking to buy.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:49 PM

9,768 posts, read 5,392,195 times
Quote:
[b]I would like to live in the city itself, somewhere near the harbor, with access to events, nightlife, etc. whereas my gf wants to live in a quieter suburban area that is safe with sizeable backyards and space between homes. She also wants to be closer to her job in Annapolis, and thinks its unfair for us to live in Downtown since its way closer to my job than hers. Additionally my gf has trouble sleeping in a noisy area. Any advice on which would be the best fit for us? We're in our late 20s, I'm White she is Black, both of us grew up in middle class Philly suburbs. I know young people mostly congregate in urban neighborhoods, but which areas of the suburbs are the best for young people?
Where you want to live now, in your late 20s, is going to be different than where you'll want to live in your late 30s, whether you have kids or not. Nightlife will not have the same appeal at that time as it does now. And nightlife areas tend to be noisy.

There are no cities between Baltimore and Annapolis, just suburbs. So you either split the difference and land in Pasadena (roughly the halfway point), or one of you is going to have a much longer commute than the other. That's just the way it is. It's easier to commute to Annapolis than to Baltimore, so that would be a reason to pick Baltimore. The city is going to be noisy and crowded (and not always safe), so that's a reason to pick the suburbs.

Personally, I would pick the suburbs. When you're in the suburbs, you can easily drive to the city for your nightlife. But when you're in the city, you can't lean out the window and make the noisy partiers shut up so you can get some sleep. If you're bound and determined to live in a city, pick Annapolis. It's much nicer.

BTW, here's what you can get in your price range in Annapolis.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-325000-375000

And in Baltimore.

Be advised that some of these listings, especially the ones that show newer looking single family houses, have Baltimore mailing addresses but are actually in the adjacent suburbs. The same may or may not be true for Annapolis, I'm not sure. If you click on the listings, they'll show you a map where it's located.

And finally, if you're looking for an urban feel in a suburban area, check out the Town Center area of Columbia. It forms a triangle with Baltimore and Annapolis, so both of you would have to commute. But it might be a good compromise. And Columbia has a long history and tradition of being welcoming to interracial couples.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:57 PM

31,549 posts, read 71,004,419 times
Quote:
Living in a suburban area could be tough for a couple in our late 20s since...
Yes it can... even if you pick the best compromise among the choices it's still the 'burbs.
But if you don't choose well... the last thing you'll want is a mortgage to work through before fixing that.
There is NO good or compelling reason to rush those buying questions.

The childless couples in the burbs I've known had dogs and/or tons of weekend sporting stuff.
If your day to day life doesn't need the picket fence and detached garage...

Then you get to the 'next job' questions and what those locations might be.
You two have a lot to work on.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 5,068,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Where you want to live now, in your late 20s, is going to be different than where you'll want to live in your late 30s, whether you have kids or not. Nightlife will not have the same appeal at that time as it does now. And nightlife areas tend to be noisy.

There are no cities between Baltimore and Annapolis, just suburbs. So you either split the difference and land in Pasadena (roughly the halfway point), or one of you is going to have a much longer commute than the other. That's just the way it is. It's easier to commute to Annapolis than to Baltimore, so that would be a reason to pick Baltimore. The city is going to be noisy and crowded (and not always safe), so that's a reason to pick the suburbs.

Personally, I would pick the suburbs. When you're in the suburbs, you can easily drive to the city for your nightlife. But when you're in the city, you can't lean out the window and make the noisy partiers shut up so you can get some sleep. If you're bound and determined to live in a city, pick Annapolis. It's much nicer.

And in Baltimore.

Be advised that some of these listings, especially the ones that show newer looking single family houses, have Baltimore mailing addresses but are actually in the adjacent suburbs. The same may or may not be true for Annapolis, I'm not sure. If you click on the listings, they'll show you a map where it's located.

And finally, if you're looking for an urban feel in a suburban area, check out the Town Center area of Columbia. It forms a triangle with Baltimore and Annapolis, so both of you would have to commute. But it might be a good compromise. And Columbia has a long history and tradition of being welcoming to interracial couples.
I believe there are suburban areas such as Cape St Claire that may have Annapolis addresses. They are actually across the Severn River.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:24 AM

22 posts, read 11,880 times
I cannot speak to Annapolis-Anne Arundel Co, but in South Baltimore/Locust Point, $350K can get you a rowhouse, but it is likely to be one of the smaller ones and/or need some updates and repairs, so you have to budget for that. Riverside tends to be pricier and it's a bit posher and quieter. These areas are a bit simpler to get out of the city and go southward to commute. I would steer you away from Otterbein. It 's very close the Harbor and the rail transit station at Camden, but gets a lot of highway noise and game day noise.

A lot of rowhouses are set up with a parking pad that is split between a patio and parking. Many have decks, too, so you have outdoor space. There are nice, quiet streets in the southern part of the city, but you really need to be thoughtful and spend some time on reconnaissance.

If you two insist on having two cars, you are going to have to grapple with parking. It's tight in most rowhouse neighborhoods. The house fronts are narrow and neighborhoods were never designed to accommodate multi-car households. That sets up yet another choice. If you are going to live in the dense city, think hard about either ditching a car (and saving the dough for upgrading your windows for noise abatement LOL) or moving somewhere where your vehicles will have housing (the burbs).

Good luck to you both!

Old 01-18-2021, 03:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 10,591,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

And in Baltimore.

Agreed... if they plan to be in this area for the long haul... then maybe Columbia/Howard County may be the best bet.. Maple Lawn on Hwy 29 is an urban suburban community that is accessible to Baltimore, Annapolis and DC.. So if they have to change jobs in the future they wont have to move. Maple Lawn has a few amenities for them to be able to walk to.. as does Columbia Town Center. I always want to encourage people to move into the city but only if it makes sense

Old 01-18-2021, 05:05 PM

7,785 posts, read 5,068,237 times
I can't speak to the nightlife part of the request, but a good area for both commutes might be Millersville/Odenton. There are a lot of restaurants and other venues in Waugh Chapel area, that might suit some of your needs for entertainment.

You could both have easy access to I97 for your commutes.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 3,200 times
I think you all are overlooking the obvious - Annapolis has a harbor, bars, nightlife, and things for young people to do. I would avoid Baltimore and all the crime and dysfunction if it were me. Driving to Baltimore from Annapolis isn't all that bad. The neighborhoods on the way to Baltimore from Annapolis are Whitehall, Cape Saint Clair, Arnold, Severna Park, and Pasedena going up RT 2 and West Annapolis, Epping Forest, The Downs, Sherwood Forest, Crownsville, and Herald Harbor going up Generals Highway which is parallel to I-97.

FYI - We used to sail to Baltimore frequently and enjoy Fells Point and Canton. We haven't been back since the riots and do not plan to unless there are big changes in Baltimore for the better.

I would also think about renting your first year. One or both of you could really have a change of heart. A big yard in a quiet area where you don't lock the door and downtown Baltimore are as far apart as it is possible to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore