U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 03:13 PM

2,357 posts, read 1,693,022 times

Advertisements

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/projec...fo2KmfGfSCvQIw

Very disturbing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 PM
Status: "Samantha Markle was right all along about Meghan :D" (set 2 days ago)

21,978 posts, read 10,250,164 times
I was floored when I read about this case. So much blame to go around.

The student isn't blameless. Nobody forced him to be absent or late to class nearly 300 days over the years and nobody forced him to withhold report cards from his mother.

The mother isn't blameless. I get that she is a single mother who works three jobs, but that doesn't absolve her of basic parenting responsibilities and she should have at the very least demanded to see a report card throughout the school year. And shame on her for using her schedule as an excuse. Taken to its natural conclusion, she'd next be arguing that, even if she did know, there wouldn't be much that she could have done as she was swamped with work You can't have a set it and forget it approach when raising children!

The school isn't blameless. How in the hell are you going to promote somebody (and not knock down doors to reach the parent(s) for such cases) with such a poor academic record?

If this student is in the top half of his class, I wonder what the class valedictorian's GPA is A 1.0?

Sadly, failed outcomes like this is the reality for far too many children, particularly in these urban school districts.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:18 AM

1,857 posts, read 1,675,327 times
People get "promoted" sometimes in K-12 because if they keep too many students for too long, that's an additional expense on the school. That is a potential liability and likely a behavior problem that the parent is not able to handle because she is just trying to make ends meet and arguably shouldn't have had a child(ren).

It's a lot more than "just promoting somebody with a poor academic record." If you want this dynamic to change, donate resources or funding to help support an additional staff member to be hired at said poor urban school and start there.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:27 AM

31,474 posts, read 70,306,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
It's a lot more than "just promoting somebody with a poor academic record."
If you want this dynamic to change, donate resources or funding to ...
...to condom and other effective birth control distribution.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:38 PM

6,941 posts, read 10,508,453 times
This article explains a lot of what is happening to the youth in the City. A cycle that keeps going and going and fuels some of the challenges occurring in the city. Students, Parents, Teachers, and Neighborhoods/Public all play a roll but .. Damn the system is so broken where do you start.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:46 PM

31,474 posts, read 70,306,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
...where do you start.
A meaningful reward to young women who delay their first child.
Then motivate them (and the boys too) to spend those years on education and training instead of changing diapers.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I was floored when I read about this case. So much blame to go around.

The student isn't blameless. Nobody forced him to be absent or late to class nearly 300 days over the years and nobody forced him to withhold report cards from his mother.

The mother isn't blameless. I get that she is a single mother who works three jobs, but that doesn't absolve her of basic parenting responsibilities and she should have at the very least demanded to see a report card throughout the school year. And shame on her for using her schedule as an excuse. Taken to its natural conclusion, she'd next be arguing that, even if she did know, there wouldn't be much that she could have done as she was swamped with work You can't have a set it and forget it approach when raising children!

The school isn't blameless. How in the hell are you going to promote somebody (and not knock down doors to reach the parent(s) for such cases) with such a poor academic record?

If this student is in the top half of his class, I wonder what the class valedictorian's GPA is A 1.0?

Sadly, failed outcomes like this is the reality for far too many children, particularly in these urban school districts.
Well said!

Old 03-04-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This article explains a lot of what is happening to the youth in the City. A cycle that keeps going and going and fuels some of the challenges occurring in the city. Students, Parents, Teachers, and Neighborhoods/Public all play a roll but .. Damn the system is so broken where do you start.
Nice to hear from you Woodlands. I'm happy to return and see the thread has calmed down.

It's a crying shame. There are some many levels of analysis but one simple discussion point is that affluent Baltimore has no participation in the public school system. Other than Roland Park and Mt. Washington, most folks send their kids to private school. The only people left to fight the system are those who are poor, and when do the poor when any fights?

Old 03-04-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Nice to hear from you Woodlands. I'm happy to return and see the thread has calmed down.

It's a crying shame. There are some many levels of analysis but one simple discussion point is that affluent Baltimore has no participation in the public school system. Other than Roland Park and Mt. Washington, most folks send their kids to private school. The only people left to fight the system are those who are poor, and when do the poor when any fights?
Yeah.. glad to be back..the Pre election times were quite interesting on here....

Old 03-04-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A meaningful reward to young women who delay their first child.
Then motivate them (and the boys too) to spend those years on education and training instead of changing diapers.
As your namesake states.. that is the Rational thing to have happen and that lesson would normally be taught by the parents. Unfortunately the reality on the ground is that many of these parents are kids/young adults themselves and may not have done well or completed school or received in vocational training and that cycle continues and becomes hard to break.

I remember my cousin told me at a family gathering that she was walking through the mall with her daughter (my niece) during Halloween Trick or Treating. She was in her early 30s and my niece about 4 yrs old. A group of teenage girls remarked how cute her daughter was and then remarked to themselves.. @I wish my mom would take my baby trick or treating like that her daughter is so lucky to have a Grandmom do that to bring her grand daughter out trick or treating.. @They were in their mid teens and my cousin didnt look a day over 30. Needless to say.. she was thrilled with the comment as being thought to be a Grandmother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: