Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 01:54 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,932,074 times

Advertisements

You can't demand greater transparency from the BPD and think you're not subject to the same standards, especially when you're the chief law enforcement officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 10:03 PM

https://www.wmar2news.com/news/local...-federal-probe

Old 01-24-2022, 03:36 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
That may or may not be illegal, campaign finance laws are real arcane and money can be spent where it doesn't seem to be legal but is.

Example:

I want to eat at Gordon Ramsey Steak at the Horseshoe. I can't spend campaign money on that. That is unless I invite you, a potential donor, to go with me. That's then considered a legitimate campaign expense for fundraising.

Since part of the investigation was into their campaign finances that expenditure is probably legal. It may not look good but so what? People will forget about it fairly quickly.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That may or may not be illegal, campaign finance laws are real arcane and money can be spent where it doesn't seem to be legal but is.

Example:

I want to eat at Gordon Ramsey Steak at the Horseshoe. I can't spend campaign money on that. That is unless I invite you, a potential donor, to go with me. That's then considered a legitimate campaign expense for fundraising.

Since part of the investigation was into their campaign finances that expenditure is probably legal. It may not look good but so what? People will forget about it fairly quickly.
Baltimore Brew (not sure how credible this source is) provided the campaign funds were used to pay legal expenses related to Mosby's real estate dealings.

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2022/0...nse-attorneys/

Quote:
Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby dipped into her campaign coffers last year to pay nearly $50,000 to lawyers defending her in a federal criminal probe, despite Maryland law prohibiting such expenditures.

That probe resulted in Mosby’s indictment last Thursday on four counts of perjury and misrepresentations on her mortgage applications to purchase two Florida condominiums.
But otherwise, you're correct.

Old 01-24-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Baltimore Brew (not sure how credible this source is) provided the campaign funds were used to pay legal expenses related to Mosby's real estate dealings.

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2022/0...nse-attorneys/

But otherwise, you're correct.
Yeah, if the funds were used for the fraud investigation, probably not legal. But, and I may be wrong, I think there was a separate investigation into her, or her husband's, campaign accounts. If for that, likely more or less legal.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Yep...Well she gave the feds the shovel...so they will start digging. I am amazed when people invoke that "this is politically motivated" and they are a politician... For better or worse when you step into the political arena... it happens .....everything become fair game . People will use the shovel. to dig or cover up just depends on who is using the shovel;

Old 01-24-2022, 04:16 PM

899 posts, read 540,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yep...Well she gave the feds the shovel...so they will start digging. I am amazed when people invoke that "this is politically motivated" and they are a politician... For better or worse when you step into the political arena... it happens .....everything become fair game . People will use the shovel. to dig or cover up just depends on who is using the shovel;
After Pugh and Dixon you'd think all Baltimore politicians would know better.

Surely Mosby couldn't be that stupid? Or is it a particular shade of egoism, the same characteristic that gets people to run for political office in the first place?

Old 01-24-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post

Surely Mosby couldn't be that stupid? Or is it a particular shade of egoism, the same characteristic that gets people to run for political office in the first place?
Yes, she could be. And don't call me Shirley.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:31 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post

Power seduces so people think because they were elected they can get away with "little things". I also suspect some "enablers" are also providing a roadmap to what others have done and not gotten caught. Problem is.. the enablers are lawyers, accountants, and business types who are not on the feds radar because they are not politicians and/or do a better job through covering their tracks. All of the Mayors you have named including SRB have had bad advisors which resulted in their loss of office. In SRBs case she atleast was not corrupt, but here again after Freddie Gray.. the writing was on the wall so she was likely not an interesting target. She also struck me as being somewhat "risk adverse" and more wanting to bask in office of Mayor and getting connections which has served her in her current gig (consultant and political commentator on CCN) as opposed to flat out corruption.. Then there is how do you define corruption. What may go down as corruption in Northern VA may be business as usual in Baltimore. .

Old 01-31-2022, 06:16 PM

1,151 posts, read 615,948 times
Lock her (and him) up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore