U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-24-2021, 01:40 PM
 
86 posts, read 116,378 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to the Roland Park area. We like the area a lot but are definitely not too familiar with it. It seems like the local elem/middle public school is pretty good, but the local public high school is not (this is just based on what I'm reading online so that could be wrong). My question is, where do kids generally go to high school in that area? Do they go to the public high school or send them to private? And if so, which ones? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2021, 02:50 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,968 posts, read 22,114,020 times
Reputation: 5674
Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
...... My question is, where do kids generally go to high school in that area? Do they go to the public high school or send them to private? And if so, which ones? Thanks!
A work colleage lived there, and he sent his boys to Gilman.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2021, 08:28 PM
 
3,342 posts, read 3,135,893 times
Reputation: 6411
The local elem/middle school is NOT good. Roland Park residents send their kids to private schools.

Gilman and Boys Latin for boys and Bryn Mawr and Roland Park Country School for girls and several religious affiliated schools are in the area. Further away schools include Loyola, Calvert Hall, McDonough, Jemicy, Notre Dame Prep, Concordia Prep, St Paul's, and Maryvale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2021, 09:27 AM
 
409 posts, read 160,011 times
Reputation: 1032
The zoned elementary school is well regarded. It went through a bad patch (although not that bad) about 25 years ago but now is a highly prized neighborhood asset.

At the middle school level, many families do start transferring kids to private schools but many others also stay with the public system. However, be aware that starting in 6th grade, kids go into the regular Middle School program or a honors program, so there is that split. But the regular program is still well regarded.

High school is more problematic because there is no decent normal zoned high school in Baltimore. Your only realistic options are the "honors" high school, which require a test-based admissions: Baltimore City College, Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, Western High School and Baltimore School of Arts. City College is considered humanities based, Poly has a math/science focus, Western is all girls, Arts is very arts focused (and probably the real gem in the city system, one of the best in the country). I gather most Roland Park families whose kids stay in the public sector for high school (and it is a growing number) are either at City or Poly or Arts. Western isn't as regarded as it was in the past.

The honors high schools are something that many families are happy with, while others are not so much. It does depend on your comfort level. The honors high schools do offer a good education but the facilities tend to be shabbier. Most Roland Park kids do go to private for high school (if they didn't already move over for 6th grade). I can't give you a neat breakdown but I would estimate around 2/3ds private for high school and 1/3 for one of the public honors. Of the private schools, all Baltimore area privates draw from Roland Park. Within the neighborhood, I would think Friends is perennially popular, as are Gilman, Park, and Bryn Mawr. I do see a lot more Friends/Gilman decals than any other school, and my instinct is that the other schools draw more heavily from the county.

Note: because of COVID, there has been a movement of some families out of the elementary school into local privates and Catholic schools as they were fully open while the public school was remote learning only, until about a week ago. Who knows what kind of long term effect it will have on RPEMS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2021, 10:37 AM
 
6,970 posts, read 10,547,617 times
Reputation: 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The local elem/middle school is NOT good. Roland Park residents send their kids to private schools.

Gilman and Boys Latin for boys and Bryn Mawr and Roland Park Country School for girls and several religious affiliated schools are in the area. Further away schools include Loyola, Calvert Hall, McDonough, Jemicy, Notre Dame Prep, Concordia Prep, St Paul's, and Maryvale.
I would add Mercy Highschool Its an all girls school on Northern Parkway. Its gets students from both the city and the county.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2021, 10:40 AM
 
6,970 posts, read 10,547,617 times
Reputation: 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
The zoned elementary school is well regarded. It went through a bad patch (although not that bad) about 25 years ago but now is a highly prized neighborhood asset.

At the middle school level, many families do start transferring kids to private schools but many others also stay with the public system. However, be aware that starting in 6th grade, kids go into the regular Middle School program or a honors program, so there is that split. But the regular program is still well regarded.

High school is more problematic because there is no decent normal zoned high school in Baltimore. Your only realistic options are the "honors" high school, which require a test-based admissions: Baltimore City College, Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, Western High School and Baltimore School of Arts. City College is considered humanities based, Poly has a math/science focus, Western is all girls, Arts is very arts focused (and probably the real gem in the city system, one of the best in the country). I gather most Roland Park families whose kids stay in the public sector for high school (and it is a growing number) are either at City or Poly or Arts. Western isn't as regarded as it was in the past.

The honors high schools are something that many families are happy with, while others are not so much. It does depend on your comfort level. The honors high schools do offer a good education but the facilities tend to be shabbier. Most Roland Park kids do go to private for high school (if they didn't already move over for 6th grade). I can't give you a neat breakdown but I would estimate around 2/3ds private for high school and 1/3 for one of the public honors. Of the private schools, all Baltimore area privates draw from Roland Park. Within the neighborhood, I would think Friends is perennially popular, as are Gilman, Park, and Bryn Mawr. I do see a lot more Friends/Gilman decals than any other school, and my instinct is that the other schools draw more heavily from the county.

Note: because of COVID, there has been a movement of some families out of the elementary school into local privates and Catholic schools as they were fully open while the public school was remote learning only, until about a week ago. Who knows what kind of long term effect it will have on RPEMS.
What you described is what I have always heard as well. I am surprised that catholic schools havent made a resurgence in Baltimore. I know they are building a brand new catholic school on the edge of west Baltimore along MLK...Mother Mary Lange. It will likely pull kids out of failing city schools and maybe even may living in Union Square and Washington Village more palatable for young families. It could even extend into Seton Hill, and parts of downtown as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 09:03 AM
 
86 posts, read 116,378 times
Reputation: 106
Thank you all so much!! This is crucial insider knowledge I wouldn't have had otherwise. We have an upcoming 1st grader and (hopefully!) another baby coming soon, so at least for the next several years we are focusing on elementary/middle school.

In response to one of the posts on high schools, it makes sense that "honors" programs are the best bet if you're sticking with public high schools (of course that is entirely dependent on your kid getting in and the jury is still out on our 5 year old haha), but the majority of kids go to private school is what I'm hearing.

I am little surprised that some are saying the Roland Park elem/middle school is not good, though I know a lot of this is subjective. Currently we are in Montgomery County but have family in the Baltimore Area. People tend to assume all MoCo public schools are great but that is far from the case. Honestly, where we live now, the elem and middle schools are rated several points lower than Roland Park elem/middle. I know greatschools is not perfect and full of holes, but if the majority of kids are not performing well in standardized tests that says something.

It doesn't entirely matter, but one advantage to being where we are is diversity in terms of the school population. We have everyone here from all walks. And our family is of indian origin. Are the private schools around Roland Park pretty homogenous? I'm assuming they are, and for us education is more important than "diversity", but it is something to consider if she's the only indian kid in the entire school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM
 
409 posts, read 160,011 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by plive202 View Post
Thank you all so much!! This is crucial insider knowledge I wouldn't have had otherwise. We have an upcoming 1st grader and (hopefully!) another baby coming soon, so at least for the next several years we are focusing on elementary/middle school.

In response to one of the posts on high schools, it makes sense that "honors" programs are the best bet if you're sticking with public high schools (of course that is entirely dependent on your kid getting in and the jury is still out on our 5 year old haha), but the majority of kids go to private school is what I'm hearing.

I am little surprised that some are saying the Roland Park elem/middle school is not good, though I know a lot of this is subjective. Currently we are in Montgomery County but have family in the Baltimore Area. People tend to assume all MoCo public schools are great but that is far from the case. Honestly, where we live now, the elem and middle schools are rated several points lower than Roland Park elem/middle. I know greatschools is not perfect and full of holes, but if the majority of kids are not performing well in standardized tests that says something.

It doesn't entirely matter, but one advantage to being where we are is diversity in terms of the school population. We have everyone here from all walks. And our family is of indian origin. Are the private schools around Roland Park pretty homogenous? I'm assuming they are, and for us education is more important than "diversity", but it is something to consider if she's the only indian kid in the entire school.
Baltimore is an easy city to hate. There are people who view everything associated with Baltimore in a strongly negative light, so the idea that there may be a good elementary school in the city is anathema to them. But Baltimore is also a complicated city, a very complicated city, and is not for everyone. Anyone who wants to live in Baltimore, even in the stable, affluent areas, need to make their peace with the larger dysfunctional problems elsewhere in the city. Just a FYI. I recently bought a house just over the city line in the northern suburbs but it was more about finding the right house than a city versus suburb decision and would have no problems living in the city itself, especially in North Baltimore, which does offer a great quality of life.

In terms of diversity, Baltimore is not the DC region, but is also not homogenous.

The private school culture is pervasive among professional Baltimore. All the private schools have students of Asian and South Asian backgrounds. Gilman (boys), Bryn Mawr (girls), Friends (coed), RPCS (girls) are in Roland Park and have a long history of educating children of prominent Hopkins professors and doctors going back decades and this includes families of Asian and South Asian heritages. Gilman and Bryn Mawr in particular.

RPEMS itself is majority white and black. I can't give you an exact breakdown. But there are also students from Asian, South Asian and Latino heritages as well as from mixed heritages. Many parents at RPEMS are affiliated with Hopkins and this includes parents from different racial backgrounds as well as international origins. I actually do know of two different South Asian families who had children at RPEMS. The viewpoints will be predominately progressive and welcoming.

If it's important to have a sizable South Asian heritage presence, Howard County schools would be your best bet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:10 AM
 
86 posts, read 116,378 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Baltimore is an easy city to hate. There are people who view everything associated with Baltimore in a strongly negative light, so the idea that there may be a good elementary school in the city is anathema to them. But Baltimore is also a complicated city, a very complicated city, and is not for everyone. Anyone who wants to live in Baltimore, even in the stable, affluent areas, need to make their peace with the larger dysfunctional problems elsewhere in the city. Just a FYI. I recently bought a house just over the city line in the northern suburbs but it was more about finding the right house than a city versus suburb decision and would have no problems living in the city itself, especially in North Baltimore, which does offer a great quality of life.

In terms of diversity, Baltimore is not the DC region, but is also not homogenous.

The private school culture is pervasive among professional Baltimore. All the private schools have students of Asian and South Asian backgrounds. Gilman (boys), Bryn Mawr (girls), Friends (coed), RPCS (girls) are in Roland Park and have a long history of educating children of prominent Hopkins professors and doctors going back decades and this includes families of Asian and South Asian heritages. Gilman and Bryn Mawr in particular.

RPEMS itself is majority white and black. I can't give you an exact breakdown. But there are also students from Asian, South Asian and Latino heritages as well as from mixed heritages. Many parents at RPEMS are affiliated with Hopkins and this includes parents from different racial backgrounds as well as international origins. I actually do know of two different South Asian families who had children at RPEMS. The viewpoints will be predominately progressive and welcoming.

If it's important to have a sizable South Asian heritage presence, Howard County schools would be your best bet.
That is very helpful. I'm not surprised that Hopkins kids would be part of the school demographics. We'll do some more exploring, but based on what you're saying I think we'd be comfortable sending her to RPEMS and take it from there in terms of high school (assuming we can find a house we can afford!). We are also looking into Howard county though we prefer the more urban setting and relative walkability of North Baltimore.

Totally understand what you're saying on what to expect being in the city in terms of the good and the bad. Having family in various parts of Baltimore we know the city in general is not in the best shape right now even though we love charm city. Of course once you have kids, the willingness of where you'd be ok living changes a lot if you have the means!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top