U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-23-2021, 03:56 PM
 
5 posts, read 2,449 times
Reputation: 103

Advertisements

I'm considering Baltimore, as it seems to be one of the few places with housing stock in my budget of $300K or under for a house. After too many years in a crappy condo elsewhere, I want to own a small house. Looking for neighborhoods that are safe for a woman living alone. I don't want to worry if I get home from work, etc. late or have to take my dog out at night, but it's not like I will be roaming the streets in the middle of the night. It seems like the well known places of Canton, Federal Hill/Riverside, Lower Fells Point, Hampden- appear ok based on the crime maps on realtor.com

I like historic buildings, historic architecture, walkability, parks for me and my dog to walk in, walking along the water, the rooftop decks that look like treehouses, etc.. It seems like there are nice residential historic neighborhoods there?

Advice from locals?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,615 posts, read 71,734,205 times
Reputation: 38107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastportgrl View Post
I'm considering Baltimore, as it seems to be one of the few places with housing stock in my budget of $300K or under for a house. After too many years in a crappy condo elsewhere, I want to own a small house. Looking for neighborhoods that are safe for a woman living alone. I don't want to worry if I get home from work, etc. late or have to take my dog out at night, but it's not like I will be roaming the streets in the middle of the night. It seems like the well known places of Canton, Federal Hill/Riverside, Lower Fells Point, Hampden- appear ok based on the crime maps on realtor.com

I like historic buildings, historic architecture, walkability, parks for me and my dog to walk in, walking along the water, the rooftop decks that look like treehouses, etc.. It seems like there are nice residential historic neighborhoods there?

Advice from locals?
Be close to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2021, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Star-Spangled City
50 posts, read 12,147 times
Reputation: 35
Baltimore local here! All of the neighborhoods you listed are good neighborhoods.

You'll find everything you're looking for in Canton, Fells Point, Riverside, and Federal Hill. I would consider Locust Point as well since that neighborhood also fits all of your wants and it's been ranked as Baltimore's safest neighborhood for years.

Patterson park, which I like to call "Baltimore's Central Park" is a huge park that accessible to the many neighborhoods that surround it such as the Patterson Park neighborhood, Butchers Hill, Brewers Hill, and Highlandtown which are all great neighborhoods.

Hampden and other neighborhoods such as Remington, Reservoir Hill, Charles Village and Oakenshawe are good fits except you wouldn't be right on the water (Not sure if that's a huge concern for you or not). There are a lot of parks in close proximity to these neighborhoods such as Wyman Park and Druid Hill Park (which has a lake you can walk around). Reservoir Hill has some of these most beautiful rowhouse architecture in the city, maybe thee best lol.

Mt Vernon is also a great fit if you love historic architecture and it's right in the center of everything. However, Downtown lacks true urban parks, it's mostly grassy plazas such as Charles Center and Mt Vernon Place, but they're are a good amount of dog parks to take your dog.

I would also take Ednor Gardens - Lakeside and Waverly into consideration. They're more towards the northeastern part of the city which is away from a good deal of the action. More-family-oriented. The great thing is you are still in close proximity to the action without being in it. These neighborhoods are both good fits as well for what you are looking for. Lake Montebello is close by which is great for dog-walking, walking, jogging, or simply just enjoying the scenery.

All of these neighborhoods have unique styles of rowhouse architecture that I think you will love, great parks, not too far from water, things to do, places to eat with the exception of Reservoir Hill (for the most part). Rooftop decks tend to exist much more in the waterfront neighborhoods such as Canton, Fed Hill, Fells Point, etc.

I hope this helped!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2021, 09:44 AM
 
46 posts, read 25,900 times
Reputation: 124
Canton, Fells Point, Riverside, Federal Hill -- can one buy even a "small house" in those neighborhoods for under $300,000? (I haven't checked in a while, so I honestly don't know . . . )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2021, 05:57 PM
 
7,080 posts, read 10,706,875 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy.bm0r3 View Post
Baltimore local here! All of the neighborhoods you listed are good neighborhoods.

You'll find everything you're looking for in Canton, Fells Point, Riverside, and Federal Hill. I would consider Locust Point as well since that neighborhood also fits all of your wants and it's been ranked as Baltimore's safest neighborhood for years.

Patterson park, which I like to call "Baltimore's Central Park" is a huge park that accessible to the many neighborhoods that surround it such as the Patterson Park neighborhood, Butchers Hill, Brewers Hill, and Highlandtown which are all great neighborhoods.

Hampden and other neighborhoods such as Remington, Reservoir Hill, Charles Village and Oakenshawe are good fits except you wouldn't be right on the water (Not sure if that's a huge concern for you or not). There are a lot of parks in close proximity to these neighborhoods such as Wyman Park and Druid Hill Park (which has a lake you can walk around). Reservoir Hill has some of these most beautiful rowhouse architecture in the city, maybe thee best lol.

Mt Vernon is also a great fit if you love historic architecture and it's right in the center of everything. However, Downtown lacks true urban parks, it's mostly grassy plazas such as Charles Center and Mt Vernon Place, but they're are a good amount of dog parks to take your dog.

I would also take Ednor Gardens - Lakeside and Waverly into consideration. They're more towards the northeastern part of the city which is away from a good deal of the action. More-family-oriented. The great thing is you are still in close proximity to the action without being in it. These neighborhoods are both good fits as well for what you are looking for. Lake Montebello is close by which is great for dog-walking, walking, jogging, or simply just enjoying the scenery.

All of these neighborhoods have unique styles of rowhouse architecture that I think you will love, great parks, not too far from water, things to do, places to eat with the exception of Reservoir Hill (for the most part). Rooftop decks tend to exist much more in the waterfront neighborhoods such as Canton, Fed Hill, Fells Point, etc.

I hope this helped!

I would add Lauraville, Hamilton, Beverly Hills, Waltherson in the NE.. Both Lauraville and Hamilton have nice neighborhood downtowns that could provide safe place to walk to for coffee/shopping...These areas have single family homes.. with yards.. so more older suburban than older urban rowhome....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2021, 02:19 PM
 
5 posts, read 2,449 times
Reputation: 103
according to realestate.com -yes, although market seems to be tightening and those under $300K are going quickly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2021, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Star-Spangled City
50 posts, read 12,147 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I would add Lauraville, Hamilton, Beverly Hills, Waltherson in the NE.. Both Lauraville and Hamilton have nice neighborhood downtowns that could provide safe place to walk to for coffee/shopping...These areas have single family homes.. with yards.. so more older suburban than older urban rowhome....
Very true, I live in NE myself. Those are all really nice neighborhoods. Waltherson has a nice single-family/rowhome mix as well as semi-detached townhomes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2021, 05:51 PM
 
141 posts, read 122,669 times
Reputation: 69
For safety, I would tend to prefer Roland Park or Mt. Washington, but I don't know if they have houses in your price range. Baltimore County would be safer still, generally speaking, and your property taxes and insurance costs will be around half of what they are in the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2021, 07:03 PM
 
25 posts, read 5,225 times
Reputation: 39
There are a lot of North Baltimore neighborhoods that are very forested and safe. Being a "Single Woman" those quieter neighborhoods with strong family vibes will be safer. They'll look out for you because their way less transient than a Canton, Federal Hill, Fells Point etc.

If you're looking south try Otterbein, Ridgley's Delight, Butchers Hill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:26 PM
 
675 posts, read 568,990 times
Reputation: 496
Default Safety

Stay close to your car muchless your house. I live in what used to be a very nice area. Speak in relative terms. This is baltimore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top