U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 07:14 AM

7,084 posts, read 10,709,144 times

Advertisements

I read where Mayor Scott and City Council are working to increase fines/penalties for illegal dumping in the city... I think this is a good thing but unless there is an eye witness or someone is foolish enough to leave personal information in their illegally dumped trash...it still may be difficult to thwart midnight dumpers. An easier companion action could occur that is solely in the citys control... EXTEND THE HOURS OF YOUR RECYCLING CENTERS AND TRANSFER FACILITIES.......Why close them at 5pm? why not 8pm or even keep one 24hrs if it is in an industrial area.. IF anyone has ridden by Sisson St or the NW Transfer yard you will see small haulers lined up to deposit their loads in these facilities..sometimes waiting hours. Every now and again I see one peel out of line and dash off into the City and I wonder if they are going to visit some alley to dump the payload.. If it were operating like a well oiled machine the city could be cycling these operators and residents in and out of these facilities simply by extending the hours...

One must applaud the haulers that wait dutifully in line and dont illegally dump.. It helps the city and certainly provides them, as a small independent hauler, an income or at least supplemental income by operating as a hauler..

The city rather than focusing on penalizing everyone for do this or that in the city with ZERO ability to enforce it should focus on incentivizing positive behaviors like making it easy to do business in the city and for residents/businesses to do things like go to a recycling center rather than having to take half and afternoon to do it....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 08:49 AM

36,985 posts, read 48,455,697 times
Some of the problems I've seen, getting past laziness and just not feeling like taking the load to a drop off site, is that what's accepted is limited in many cases.

Will the transfer facilities take large items like couches? Ours down here won't so. How about things with freon/aerosol coolant (air conditioners, refrigerators)? If not those will end up in an alley (or down here along the side of the road).

We have regular Monday and Friday trash pickup so many people from outside the town come in late at night and load up the cans of the residents. I've gone out in the morning and not only is my trash can full but bags are stacked up around it.

People are slobs. And cheap.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:05 PM

16,414 posts, read 5,177,413 times
A town I'm familiar with charges $50 a year to use the transfer station. Then you have to use their plastic trash bags ($2 a bag) to dump your trash, they check.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:13 PM

36,985 posts, read 48,455,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
A town I'm familiar with charges $50 a year to use the transfer station. Then you have to use their plastic trash bags ($2 a bag) to dump your trash, they check.
Here in Calvert it's, if I remember, about $150/year on your property tax bill to use the transfer (called Convenience Centers) sites. There are some very tight requirements for "Will Not Accept" and they can be frustrating.

If you go to the main dump you pay a tip fee based on weight.

The two towns have their own trash contractors who pick up twice weekly with once weekly recycling pickup and a call for reservation grab for bulk.

The towns pay @$300/year on the tax bill for that in addition to the County charge (that's a sore spot with me, the County claims it's for stranded landfill costs and town residents can use the convenience centers).

Old 05-09-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some of the problems I've seen, getting past laziness and just not feeling like taking the load to a drop off site, is that what's accepted is limited in many cases.

Will the transfer facilities take large items like couches? Ours down here won't so. How about things with freon/aerosol coolant (air conditioners, refrigerators)? If not those will end up in an alley (or down here along the side of the road).

We have regular Monday and Friday trash pickup so many people from outside the town come in late at night and load up the cans of the residents. I've gone out in the morning and not only is my trash can full but bags are stacked up around it.

People are slobs. And cheap.
Very true.. Some of these facilities may not take TVs, ACs and Paint but often only during certain times of the year (paint in particular) and we have a landfill at Quarantine Road for larger dumping.. I dont see a "fee" on my Baltimore City tax bill.. but like Prego Pasta Sauce... Im sure..."its in thereeee". So, I hope they dont get in bright ideas like raising taxes.

I think most of the small haulers know what to take to these facilities for the most part and the ones that dump are just in a hurry or just scofflaws...I am sure Fred Sanford let them know the rules at the Junkmans(or womans) Convention..... I had to throw that in there as a nod to Sanford and Son... A guy actually had that on the side of his truck... Classic Show

Old 05-12-2021, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 356 times
way too much of it. Its disgusting.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM

675 posts, read 569,139 times
People dump in my area all the time. Last week someone threw their crb shells in the street. Also someone
threw soda bottles. Pizza boxes etc right in front of my house. I used to sweep it up. What should we think of people who do this ? I have called 311 in the past but nothing happen. I even gave them tag numbers. Baltimore is such a unaccountable town.

Old Today, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
People dump in my area all the time. Last week someone threw their crb shells in the street. Also someone
threw soda bottles. Pizza boxes etc right in front of my house. I used to sweep it up. What should we think of people who do this ? I have called 311 in the past but nothing happen. I even gave them tag numbers. Baltimore is such a unaccountable town.
Yeah.. its the cat litter box mentality.. "I will take a ****e here because everybody else is". Also, I think civic pride in many neighborhoods has evaporated... There are still quite a few places where neighbors get together and do clean ups and park pick ups.. In fact, the city would be better served at trying to cultivate this type of civic pride on a regular basis rather than a once or twice a year Mayors Clean Up. If the city help build up the civic infrastructure in some of these areas where people like yourself give a rip.. then its easier to tap into these groups to do other task that help improve the community, but you have to start with the basics..... But with the City Govt being so disorganized they cant possibly expect all the neighborhoods to be any better... except on a case by case basis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore