Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:47 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times

Advertisements

The State Police are going to be staffing a checkpoint and the city will be implementing parking restrictions to curb the crime/violence.. I am not sure that this will be effective at anything other than encouraging people not to come to the area (if the violence is not convincing in and of itself) Reducing parking and Sobriety Checkpoints will likely discourage the very people the bars are trying to attract to the area. From the videos.. most of the problems seem to come from teens who 1)Likely walked or took the bus to Fells so a State Police Checkpoint is pointless and 2) Most teens have given up alcohol for weed so drinking and being drunk isnt the problem..

The only upside is the State Police being in town for "traffic enforcement" will allow them to creatively get past those who dont want to see them doing law enforcement in the city... and if things boil over again down there.,. they will be there to help back up the BPD...whom seem to be clueless or uninterested in policing.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/...demand-action/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 07:15 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Fells Point is a charming, historic area . . . in the daytime. At night, it turns into a drunken party mob. Not my scene, so I don't go there at night. With the violence they're facing, I'll continue to avoid going there at night. Here's hoping the State Police can get a handle on things there.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Fells Point is a charming, historic area . . . in the daytime. At night, it turns into a drunken party mob. Not my scene, so I don't go there at night. With the violence they're facing, I'll continue to avoid going there at night. Here's hoping the State Police can get a handle on things there.
It also seems like both sides (merchants and BPD) are talking past each other... BPD is trying to figure out how to get more officers in Fells without visibly neglecting other parts of the city and appearing completely incompetent...(i.e. State Police coming in to do "sobriety checkpoint" though clearly they are there to back up the BPD without giving that impression).. Merchants say.. they dont want more police.. just enforce the laws on the books, enforce traffic/parking laws and pick up trash.... HUH? Lets set aside the trash issue because that DPW can address fairly straightforward...

How are BPD supposed to enforce the existing laws without more police.. If there is a crowd of 1,000 people and there are a dozen selling weed and beer out of coolers.. The Police move in to take them into custody that one action will likely rile some in the crowd who may be there just for mayhem... OR the officers are now going to have to "process" those individuals which is now going to take those officers off the street... when they are needed to monitor the 1,000 people still on the street. Same thing with the fights in the street.. You have to have enough officers present to either deter the fights from happening in the first place or to be able to move in.. take the individuals into custody and get them off the street while not causing a riot or taking much needed officers off the street while those arrested are processed...in a manner similar to what they did in cities that were experiencing unrest over the summer.. Move in grad the person and take them behind the police line and out of sight of the crowd.. not leaving them in bracelets or zip ties in the middle of the street.

Now I am not saying officers should show up in riot gear.. though there may need to be a truck with it handy.. but they need to be able to manage the crowd while protecting property and deter and ultimately extract the bad actors while not reducing their overall presences on the street.. Finally prosecution is the other issue and the State's Atty position on not prosecuting lower level offenses could be playing into the psychology of both officers and criminals.....

Old 06-11-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It also seems like both sides (merchants and BPD) are talking past each other... BPD is trying to figure out how to get more officers in Fells without visibly neglecting other parts of the city and appearing completely incompetent...(i.e. State Police coming in to do "sobriety checkpoint" though clearly they are there to back up the BPD without giving that impression.. Merchants say.. they dont want more police.. just enforce the laws on the books, enforce traffic laws and pick up trash.... HUH? Lets set aside the trash issue because that DPW can address fairly straightforward...

How are BPD supposed to enforce the existing laws without more police.. If there is a crowd of 1,000 people and there are a dozen selling weed and beer out of coolers.. The Police move in to take them into custody that one action will likely rile some in the crowd who may be there just for mayhem... OR the officers are now going to have to "process" those individuals which is now going to take those officers off the street... when they are needed to monitor the 1,000 people still on the street. Same thing with the fights in the street.. You have to have enough officers present to either deter the fights from happening in the first place or to be able to move in.. take the individuals into custody and get them off the street while not causing a riot or taking much needed officers off the street while those arrested are processed. They need to do what other departments did during the unrest of the summer in terms of moving in extracting the bad actors and taking them outside the view of the crowd to be processed.. Not putting them in zip ties and sitting them on the curb in the middle of the crowd to be "processed" while serving as kindling for those who want to cause trouble. I recall how the New Orleans PD operates on Bourbon Street where fights and crowds were on the regular pre COVID... They could isolate and remove brawlers in seconds and the street activity would not skip a beat.. I am a little surprised the Commish, who hails from NOPD hasnt deployed some of those tactics

Im also not saying officers should show up in riot gear.. though there may need to be a truck with it handy.. but they need to be able to manage the crowd while protecting property and deter and ultimately extract the bad actors while not reducing their overall presences on the street.. Finally prosecution is the other issue and the State's Atty position on not prosecuting lower level offenses could be playing into the psychology of both officers and some of the bad actors....

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-11-2021 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-11-2021, 06:37 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Baltimore's leadership has very deliberately handed over the city to criminals. Voters are to blame, since they insist on voting for losers who pander to their stupidity. The only mystery is why anyone would voluntarily live in or visit Baltimore. I live 20 minutes away and you won't catch me in that crap hole for any reason.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:11 PM

1,151 posts, read 615,948 times
Baltimore is a rat nest, we already know that.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:54 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,685,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The only mystery is why anyone would voluntarily live in or visit Baltimore. I live 20 minutes away and you won't catch me in that crap hole for any reason.
It's cool if it's not your personal cup of tea, but if you legit can't fathom why people enjoy Baltimore's history, architecture, museums, walkability, sports venues, restaurants & nightlife, etc. then that's just kind of sad. And it says a lot more about you than it does the city.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:47 AM

It was reported that 14 people were arrested at the State Police sobriety check point over the past weekend and out of that one had an outstanding warrant.. While I am glad that some impaired drivers were taken off the streets for their safety and others.. it was not a deterrent for a spat of gunfire on Saturday night... Seems the weather (Friday) was a bigger deterrent that road blocks and police presence . The businesses being outraged is one thing.. but imagined if you LIVE in one of those rowhomes in one of the alley blocks and have to listen to gun fire and stampedes on weekends. I couldnt even imagine... likewise if you live in other sections of the City and see drug dealing and fights on any given day of the week.

I havent given up on Baltimore yet... but it is becoming to stomach this the type of mayhem that is occurring in the City week after week.. not just in fells...

I really dont know what the answer is... if you call in more law enforcement.. there is a backlash.. you pull them out.. there is a spike in crime and more backlash... I do think the City "leaders" and the Governor need to have a meeting and get on the same page on what to do to restore public safety in the state's largest city. Can they take the COVID money and call out the national guard/state police to provide security for downtown/commercial areas and let the BPD redeploy to neighborhoods? I dont know.. but the current level of lawlessness is not sustainable..... SMH

Old 06-14-2021, 06:54 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
It's cool if it's not your personal cup of tea, but if you legit can't fathom why people enjoy Baltimore's history, architecture, museums, walkability, sports venues, restaurants & nightlife, etc. then that's just kind of sad. And it says a lot more about you than it does the city.
It says it have common sense. Thanks for the compliment.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Baltimore's leadership has very deliberately handed over the city to criminals. Voters are to blame, since they insist on voting for losers who pander to their stupidity. The only mystery is why anyone would voluntarily live in or visit Baltimore. I live 20 minutes away and you won't catch me in that crap hole for any reason.
To that point.. I wonder why? Serious question(not to you more so rhetorical).. what is the upside for an elected person to do this? Maybe you get a few points with ultra progressive groups but if the city burns down around you THAT will be your legacy and your political career opposed to whatever well intentioned public policy. What works in Portland may not work in Baltimore... Baltimore needs to do what is best for Baltimore and should be well thought out as opposed to an experiment.. I really wish I had the answer.. but what the States Atty is doing I dont believe is helping....

I wish the Governors Office, Mayor/City Council, State Delegation, Baltimore City Judges, States Atty Office, along with the Commissioner would have a summit to discuss this....set friggin politics aside and do what is right for Baltimore citizens and thus the State of MD... stop doing all this party loyalty BS and do what is right for the (all) people for a change... SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore