Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 AM

23 posts, read 75,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medfieldbum View Post
It's ok; centrally located; close to Roland Park and Hampden, I83. A quick shot down Falls Road will take you downtown along the Jones Falls stream very quickly without using the JFX.

Medfield is not particularly bad for a single woman who drives. One of our neighbors is a young single woman. She said recently she loves her house and would like never to leave-but she has to go to work. She also goes to grad school at the University of Baltimore.

You might be able to find a room or small apartment on craigslist in Hampden, or even in Medfield. Plenty of single people live in the apartments near me in Medfield-though they are mostly older.

Criminals, with rare exceptions, break into house when no one is home. If you have good locks, good common sense, and a barking dog, they probably won't break in if you're there. Again, it sound like you need to rent in an area that's good, but perhaps in a building with other apartments to make yourself more comfortable. The other option is to hook up with one or two other women as roommates and rent a house together.

My wife and I own a rowhouse in Hampden and have had 3 great groups of young people in it who were friends and they split my outrageously high rent. But they got a whole nice house with a full basement, nice yard, and a deck. Of course, they had to share the 1.5 bathrooms and all the other expenses.
Medfieldbum, thanks so much for the information! Good to know that one of your neighbors is a single woman and loves it there. I won't completely rule out Medfield then. The prices are decent. Thanks for letting me know about breakins. I guess you're right that there are ways to discourage criminals from breaking in, with a barking dog, good locks, an alarm system, motion detector lights, leaving the stereo and TV on...

I wouldn't rent or have roommates; I'd buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM

7 posts, read 32,351 times
Smile Try New Town very near Hampden

[quote=Annisette;3763964]Where else in the city could a single, petite fraidy cat of a woman live in Baltimore with her little dog and two cats? I am not too familiar with Baltimore, but I've hung out in Hampden many times and viewed interiors of homes there, and it seems SO safe there, but it's quite pricey. I love the little front yards and porches!

I'm always looking at real estate on Craigslist, and Washington Village seems to have great prices in the cheap $100K range -- good for a secretary. But from what I've read it's an iffy neighborhood.

Where can one find a 2-bed/1.5 bath row house in the $100K range that's safe and has things to do? I wouldn't want to be isolated and bored.

--Annisette:

Baltimore is holding it's own in the housing market probably because of the impact of BRAC on this entire region. Trust me -- you don't want to live anywhere where you are paying 65k -- even 100k is pushing it! I am a little lady who grew up in Baltimore (I now live in the District but go home often) and have always felt safe. You mention Hampden, which has been re-gentrefied (sp?) in recent times because of the influx of nearby Hopkins U students; faculty etc., so while Hampden was once home to some of the cheapest real estate in the city, that is no more. I love that part of town as well, and my brother lives not far from there in a development called New Town -- the zip is 21209, and in my opinion one of the most beautiful and certainly one of the safest regions in the city. New Town is a condo community -- he paid $179K a few years ago -- unheard of in the DC metro area, with minimal condo fees. New Town borders a nature sanctuary, Clyburn, so it’s like living in the midst of a forest. It's very quiet, and in fact rarely will you even see your neighbors. There are lots of floor plans, but I will tell you the sort of futuristic exterior of this place takes a little getting used to because there is so much concrete -- not in the row house style you have become used to when you visualize Baltimore. But I say try New Town condos, and perhaps you can get a room mate if that will make things easier. These condos are usually sold by Caldwell Banker. Some things very near by (minutes) -- Hampden, 36th Street etc; Village of Cross Keys, which is home to high end shops (Ann Taylor – for one!), upscale condos, salons and a spa; you would be right off of the Jones Falls Exwy (83), so you would be about 10 minutes from downtown and the Inner Harbor; a Starbucks and Whole Foods right down the hill in one of Baltimore's premier neighborhoods, Mt. Washington.

Give B-more a chance. There is a place for you there!

Last edited by Sal_TMermaid; 05-23-2008 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 AM

915 posts, read 3,173,253 times
for $100k in the city, it's either fixer upper which you probably must drop another $60k-$100k fixing it or in real bad neighborhood. Move out to the county, there are still some area that is still kinda affordable

Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM

27 posts, read 86,694 times
Hampden isn't really all that safe, to be honest, considering it's bordering Remington - which is still rather nasty, in my view.

Mt. Washington is somewhat nearby and it's much nicer. You might be able to find a place for the price range you're asking now - it's a buyer's market.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM

915 posts, read 3,173,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathalain View Post
Hampden isn't really all that safe, to be honest, considering it's bordering Remington - which is still rather nasty, in my view.

Mt. Washington is somewhat nearby and it's much nicer. You might be able to find a place for the price range you're asking now - it's a buyer's market.
i have to disagreed. Eventhough is a buyer's market, the pricing in Baltimore and surrounding has been holding pretty steady with maybe 5-9% decrease or no change except in HoCo and MoCo whereby the pricing around that neck of the wood is outrageous expensive and way way overpriced.
By doing a quick lookthru 21209 zipcode, you can find some condos around $140ks (1 br 1 bath only) but $200+ HOA/month

My best suggestion either outside of the county...northwest, northeast, east and southeast side

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 PM

757 posts, read 2,546,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathalain View Post

I disagree with that completely. Mt. Washington is nicer, but it's also a heck of a lot more expensive. I would consider Hampden to be the safest city neighborhood I know that's still relatively affordable. I've heard that car insurance is significantly lower than nearby neighborhoods, which should tell you something.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 AM

206 posts, read 795,488 times
What are you talking about. I grew up in Hampden and currently live in Medfield. Medfield is nothing, but single women with cats. Of the last 6 houses that have sold on my block all have been SINGLE women.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,556,811 times
Sounds like lots of single women feel comfortable enough to buy a home in the city. Seems to me you are proving rudy's point.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,785,792 times
Single women are good.
Here is an example from Patterson Park: Revival planners tried every trick in the book to get renewal going some 15 years ago. Nothing worked, not even the Abell Foundation's offer to Hispanic families to send their kids to the local Catholic school free of charge. Then half a dozen of Southwest Airlines stewardesses moved to the area, attracted by low rents. They started jogging around the park. This signaled to motorists driving by that something good was happening in the neighborhood.
The rest is history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore