Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,422,401 times

Advertisements

My great aunt used to live on Broadway. My mother and I even lived with her for a few years in the 70s. The block we lived on had three-story rowhouses, tall ceilings, tall windows letting in lots of light. And that grassy median in the middle of the street was very nice. Once my great aunt died, the house went to a relative who sold it for very cheap, and it ended up being taken for back taxes. I think it's now part of some neighborhood revitalization plan. I tried to tell my mother to hold onto it (she could have). I'm still shaking my head over the loss of that house. A good area for revitalization with Hopkins nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,458,418 times
Same thing happened with a home near Memorial Stadium that was in my family for almost 60 years. Auctioned for $40k in '96? when the neighborhood was more dodgy, now Ednor Gardens is back to being a very nice place where homes sell for $200k. I wouldn't have to rent right now if we had kept the house!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM

757 posts, read 2,545,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yeah, but those condos in Miami are in much better shape than E. Monument St. I think someone should invent a statistic called "chronically vacant" - homes that have been vacant for 20 years or more.

We'll see what Mayor Dixon's land bank does.
Good point. Many of Baltimore's vacant properties will require a lot of work. It doesn't take long for a property to fall into serious disrepair, though.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,336,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Hate whatever you'd like. I love Baltimore's architecture a lot, but even if you bulldoze 20% of the vacant buildings (which I believe to be over 2,000 houses) there are still plenty of examples of it.

What's the point of architecture you have to view from a fast-moving car? You know the "broken window" theory? It's true. Vacant buildings bring down the area surrounding them.

The other thing is that these some of these vacants are too far gone past renovation. Some of these buildings have been vacant since the 70s!!!

What are we waiting for? We never DO anything in Baltimore, we just sit around and wait for something to happen. It isn't going to happen that 400,000 people are all of the sudden going to return to the city.

Some well-positioned abandonment turned to parks could help regenerate the neighborhoods which are currently stagnant.

I also like the idea because it's thinking OUTSIDE OF THE BOX, which is something that seems so freaking impossible here. Jesus, why can't we just TRY SOMETHING before it is shot down as ineffective?
You're very right. Our population has dwindled and some of the areas with older houses are contaminated, dangerous and would be extremely costly to renovate. Hmm spending thousands on property tax whilst dodging bullets to try to "rehab" a remote, distressed area of the city. It's just not likely.

The idea about giving people houses cheaply with NO property tax for a while as incentive is GREAT. But the government in Baltimore would never do it. Their goal in getting rid of the vacant properties is to try to get them BACK on the tax rolls. IMO this does not work for various reasons. You need to give tax incentives.

Just vote for me for Empress of Baltimore guys. I will demolish 50% of the vacant housing stock and make something like Sherwood forest, but with better security. And sell the rest for $1, tax-exempt for 2 years to people who want to risk um life and limb delving into unfriendly areas to fix them up.

I would also increase ethnic diversity in the City so we can have things I enjoy like open-market fruit and fish stalls and ... a chicken in every pot OR some tofu in every pot if that floats your boat.

I may have had a drink just now...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 PM

757 posts, read 2,545,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
You're very right. Our population has dwindled and some of the areas with older houses are contaminated, dangerous and would be extremely costly to renovate. Hmm spending thousands on property tax whilst dodging bullets to try to "rehab" a remote, distressed area of the city. It's just not likely.

The idea about giving people houses cheaply with NO property tax for a while as incentive is GREAT. But the government in Baltimore would never do it. Their goal in getting rid of the vacant properties is to try to get them BACK on the tax rolls. IMO this does not work for various reasons. You need to give tax incentives.

Just vote for me for Empress of Baltimore guys. I will demolish 50% of the vacant housing stock and make something like Sherwood forest, but with better security. And sell the rest for $1, tax-exempt for 2 years to people who want to risk um life and limb delving into unfriendly areas to fix them up.

I would also increase ethnic diversity in the City so we can have things I enjoy like open-market fruit and fish stalls and ... a chicken in every pot OR some tofu in every pot if that floats your boat.

I may have had a drink just now...
Isn't Sherwood Forest where Robin Hood robs from the rich to give to the poor? That doesn't seem to mesh with your worldview based on your other posts. I'd vote for you anyway. I like fish and tofu.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,458,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Just vote for me for Empress of Baltimore guys. I will demolish 50% of the vacant housing stock and make something like Sherwood forest, but with better security. And sell the rest for $1, tax-exempt for 2 years to people who want to risk um life and limb delving into unfriendly areas to fix them up....
Yes!! Sounds great. Urban pioneering.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 15,520 times
i agree. i think the DC area is exteremely hard to make friendships. We moved to Baltimore about 2 years ago and I love it. The people are much friendlier. And those that aren't friendly just keep to themselves. I hated DC with a passion b/c i felt like everyone had an agenda. We lived there for 7 years and i made no long-term friendships, but many aqaintences (mostly from work). I had the same experience the first question always being "where do you work". i hated it. Baltimore is called charm city for a reason. It is very charming and so are most of the people.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Question Looking for Asian Schools or other organizations

I am planning an Asian celebration for the month of May at my job. I am looking for an Asian school or either performing arts group of children to perform. This event will be held at BWI airport. My goal is to display Asian food, history, etc. Can anyone assist me with this venture?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM

76 posts, read 383,388 times
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown
Unless you can convince 400,000 people to repopulate the city to its designed size (1 million), then there will continue to be blocks upon blocks of vacant buildings.

let's see ... astronomical property taxes, poor schools, no more industrial jobs. Nope, not going to get 400,000.
============================

Perhaps if the city would take care of its crime problems, high tax, corrupt politians, get ride of incompetent government workers who do nothing but waste tax payers hard earn dollars, remove those panhandlers then people would start considering moving back to the city. Look what other cities have and are still doing and people are returing and taking pride of their cities. Baltimore is still aloof and does not seem to give a hoots. The only thing I hear from people that dont live here is crime, crime and tax. The city need to wake up and stop day dreaming.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,553,695 times
Crime is definitely a concern. So many of the city's neighborhoods are afflicted by it. High taxes also need to be addressed in the city. They won't be for a long time. Corrupt politicians??? That is not a Baltimore issue. That is a world issue. Incompetent government workers? Again, that is not a Baltimore issue. Remove panhandlers???? That's all over. Go to San Fran or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore