Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 12:24 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

I told black baltimoreans this your not doing the squeegee boys any favors by allowing them to work in that environment. It’s not going to get any bette rod any safer for them. This is absolutely batsh*t crazy but it’s what baltimore city leaders have blatantly invited. Anything else is straight up head in the sand denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 01:50 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmcubed View Post
"When they got out and walked to the back porch, Dixon reportedly asked, "Who did this to my mom? Who took the money the other day?"

He didn't even know whether he had abducted the *right* squeegee guys.
Yeah.. thats the crazy thing about it. How did he know if they did it.. Was his mom in the window to ID them? It will be interesting to see if he gets convicted. On the one had people in baltimore complain and hate crime...and some may be incline to give this Charles Bronson type a pass. On the other hand you have the parents of these kids or folks that feel that they are the victims who will want to throw the book at this guy for doing this.. Clearly it was premeditated even if he says one of the kids drew down on him first.. He picked them up and took them there to do ..."something" so he is in the wrong right there.

I wonder if this guy will even live through his incarceration. Many of these kids run in crews or have family members that are in and out of the system. The way this guy has been plastered all over the news I am sure someone in lock up is going to want a piece of him on behalf of their relative, friend, crew member.. et al...

Old 10-08-2022, 07:47 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I told black baltimoreans this your not doing the squeegee boys any favors by allowing them to work in that environment. It’s not going to get any bette rod any safer for them. This is absolutely batsh*t crazy but it’s what baltimore city leaders have blatantly invited. Anything else is straight up head in the sand denial.
Yeah, I think the city has their hands tied because they’ve been allowing them do it for decades so they don’t want to enforce it now. But it’s clearly become more and more violent, and is out of control at this point.

Intelligent city leaders should have enough evidence at this point to know they need to put a stop to it.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Intelligent city leaders...
Or the lesser variety... really are NOT the problem OR the remedy. In B'more or anywhere else.
They're along for the ride with all the rest of us.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Or the lesser variety... really are NOT the problem OR the remedy. In B'more or anywhere else.
They're along for the ride with all the rest of us.
Agree. When I wrote I was thinking that term doesn’t accurately describe Baltimore’s city leadership lol. They have never in my lifetime had “intelligent” city leadership

Old 10-08-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
They have never in my lifetime had “intelligent” city leadership
That is patently absurd. Baltimore has clearly benefited from some rather good leadership.
Even during your short lifetime.

My memory goes back to when the Charles Center Office Towers and the Civic Center were new
(I made a Lego model of the Civic Center from drawing/photo in the Morning Sun) ...
and Barbara Milkulski earned her stripes as a community organizer (stopped some highway construction).

Even the greatest of leadership still needs the basic building blocks of a functional society to be in place.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:46 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Agree. When I wrote I was thinking that term doesn’t accurately describe Baltimore’s city leadership lol. They have never in my lifetime had “intelligent” city leadership
Meh...they are intelligent, just use their intelligence to determine how to milk more from the city budget to their pocket, that is...

In reality it doesn't help that current mayor Brandon Scott seems somewhat "hands off". Perhaps his hands are tied (I don't follow every nuisance of local Baltimore politics) also.
================
For the shooter - well, it's just part of the pattern that continues the unnecessary gun violence inside the city. It may be some squeegee boys this time around, but more often it's some group of people that was "wronged" and seek revenge with a gun, at times shooting the wrong people, only to follow that with more "revenges".

Old 10-08-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
That is patently absurd. Baltimore has clearly benefited from some rather good leadership.
Even during your short lifetime.

My memory goes back to when the Charles Center Office Towers and the Civic Center were new
(I made a Lego model of the Civic Center from drawing/photo in the Morning Sun) ...
and Barbara Milkulski earned her stripes as a community organizer (stopped some highway construction).

Even the greatest of leadership still needs the basic building blocks of a functional society to be in place.
I was using hyperbole to say “in my lifetime” and obviously didn’t mean every single person who has worked for Baltimore is not intelligent (hence I used the collective term “city leadership), but if you think it is “patently absurd” to think the city has had an abundance of intelligent leadership when they have let squeegee kids harass people for almost 3 decades, then you are clueless.

Your cute Lego model and one example of Barbara Milkulski doesn’t change the fact that “collectively” Baltimore city leadership in my lifetime has not made a lot of good examples.

City leadership does need a functional society, but they also have to make decisions to give the society the best chance to be functional. Seeing evidence of the nuisance and increasing violence that squeegee kids have caused for over 30 years and refusing to enforce the law is not “great city leadership.”

Old 10-08-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I was using hyperbole to say ...
pot kettle black
Quote:
but if you think it is “patently absurd” to think the city has had an abundance of intelligent leadership...
Has not lacked for good leadership is as far as I go. Or went.
Quote:
City leadership does need a functional society, but...
...when they have let squeegee kids harass people for almost 3 decades
HOW and WHY have these things transpired?
Are ANY of those reasons somehow unique to B'more?

The leadership" "NOT the problem OR the remedy"

Old 10-10-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
pot kettle black
Has not lacked for good leadership is as far as I go. Or went.
HOW and WHY have these things transpired?
Are ANY of those reasons somehow unique to B'more?

The leadership" "NOT the problem OR the remedy"
Your post is oddly written and hard to understand.

It is “patently absurd” if you don’t think leadership allowing squeegee boys to be a menace to society and harass people for decades without stopping them, is not a major part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore