Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 07:33 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times

Advertisements

I hope someone on here can explain this to me... Yes the Mayor, City Council, States Atty. Police Commissioner all play a role as do all of us law abiding citizen.. But riddle me this.. As I open up my Mail in Ballot.. I see a slew of judges and court officials on the Ballot. I dont know or have heard from any of these officials and to me they ALL play a role in the criminal justice system especially with repeat offenders.. If I were a BPD Officer and see the same people I locked up back on the streets. I would be demoralized and either find another job or a Dunkins Donuts to sit outside of and protect during my shift. Why arent these judges being held accountable for their role or lack there of in these conversations?! Again, if there are legal reasons why they can participate in these conversations.. then I somewhat get it.. but it seems that they should still be in front of the public to talk about intervention programs that they are a part of or they support. If not, take them off the ballot and let them be appointed by elected officials..so atleast I can hold those elected leaders responsible for their actions of appointing them. Right now.. they are just on the ballot and if one person votes for them.. they are on the bench and do only god knows what and dont have to be accountable for it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 09:11 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It is “patently absurd” if you don’t think leadership allowing squeegee boys to be a menace...
It is “patently absurd” to use a term like allowing to describe the power of politicians in this regard.
Dictators? Yeah, maybe so.

In a democracy, the politicians, the Municipal especially so, are largely just "along for the ride" in this regard.
A position I took you to agree with in post #15.

Quote:
Your post is oddly written and hard to understand.
Where and when did you graduate High School?

Last edited by MrRational; 10-10-2022 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-10-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I hope someone on here can explain this to me...
Yes the Mayor, City Council, States Atty. Police Commissioner all play a role
as do all of us law abiding citizen.. But riddle me this..

As I open up my Mail in Ballot.. I see a slew of judges and court officials on the Ballot.
I dont know or have heard from any of these officials and ...
How many daily newspapers do you subscribe to? How many do you read?

In 2022 parlance... what do you actively do to seek out reliable news & information?
Let's hope it isn't Fox or Sinclair.

Quote:
Why arent these judges being held accountable for their role or lack there of...
See the last answer. Then ask everyone else you see.

Quote:
...they should still be in front of the public to talk about intervention programs ...
Intervention from what? The peoples reality?
That's a tall order for any mere mortal.

Here's a LINK to a review and author interview for an interesting new book that explores it some.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many daily newspapers do you subscribe to? How many do you read?

In 2022 parlance... what do you actively do to seek out reliable news & information?
Let's hope it isn't Fox or Sinclair.

See the last answer. Then ask everyone else you see.

Intervention from what? The peoples reality?
That's a tall order for any mere mortal.

Here's a LINK to a review and author interview for an interesting new book that explores it some.
I did a search on each of the candidates in the City for Judge in the Circuit Court and could only find their resumes.. I guess that is all that can be readily available unless I dive into whatever database contains their ruling on specific cases or search for public statements that they have made? And to your point.. consider the source of who are what is opining on their record/activities? With City Council, Mayor etc.. its straight forward but if you have a source on judges.. I would love to see the link,.

In terms of intervention programs... From my understanding there are all types of court intervention and diversion programs. How are they working, which ones do these judges support or what groups are they working with that sponsor these types of programs. Again, if you got sources I would love to read them

Old 10-10-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
In terms of intervention programs ...
On the whole I think the whole range has always proven to be a fools errand.
Without first sorting through some of the real tough underlying questions and issues ...
you can't expect to regain the missing/broken basic building blocks of a functional society mentioned.
They have to be there first.

Frankly, if that actually happened, the 'interventions' thing might be moot.

Old 10-16-2022, 06:52 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It is “patently absurd” to use a term like allowing to describe the power of politicians in this regard.
Dictators? Yeah, maybe so.

In a democracy, the politicians, the Municipal especially so, are largely just "along for the ride" in this regard.
A position I took you to agree with in post #15.

Where and when did you graduate High School?
I was trying to be kind to you when assessing your poor sentence structure. Did you graduate from High School or even Middle School? I’m not so sure, reading your posts……

Old 10-17-2022, 08:18 AM

So the presumptive States Atty indicated his interest in progressive enforcement (no in the political sense). Warning, Citation, and then Arrest. He also indicated that he will work with the BPD to make it so.. though he also said it would require the Mayor to be on the same page.. Lets see if this is the windshield that Mayor Scott is willing to die on if he is at odds with the new SA on this issue.. I suspect the SA will have the bulk of the political winds in his sails along with BPD... especially at this point.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:50 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
more 'squeegee workers' [] in the news.

Squeegee workers harass federal judge, Baltimore police report says
Quote:
The federal judge overseeing the Baltimore police consent decree had to call officers after squeegee workers harassed him Sunday, the 11 News I-Team confirmed.

According to a police report obtained by the I-Team, police labeled the incident a disorderly conduct case. The report states Chief District Judge James Bredar and his wife repeatedly refused service just before 2 p.m. at the intersection of Mount Royal and West North avenues when two squeegee workers became aggressive to the point where the couple felt the need to call police.

According to the police report, one worker raised his middle finger and spat on Bredar's SUV. Bredar said another worker used soap suds to write the word "racist" on several of the SUV's windows.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:21 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Agree. I don’t like the squeegee boys either, but wouldn’t wish that on them or anyone. I think the big issue is that because people are so fed up with them, more than anytime I can remember, it seems like it is leading to more and more confrontations.

I’m not local, but still follow Baltimore news on Twitter, but I get the sense by the headlines that people have become exhausted and fed up with them. It’s starting to cause confrontations, which have led to violent and deadly encounters with civilians (such as the man who was killed) and now squeegee boys on the receiving end of the violence.

But Baltimore leadership doesn’t seem to realize that them being out there is what is initiating these increasingly violent encounters. The leadership and police seem to view their actions as “non-urgent” and “not worth enforcing.” When in reality, them being out there seems to be initiating more and more tension and violence, which is dangerous for all parties involved.
It's not "them being out there" that's causing violence. They ROBBED someone! The incident wouldn't have happened if they hadn't demanded cash from a driver, then stolen $2000 via the driver's app, when she said she didn't have cash! Did police try to apprehend the one that got away, to question him about the robbery? The guy they arrested could give them a description, and there might be surveillance cameras that could also help identify him.

Now that a major incident has resulted, the police dept. should use plainclothes cops to cruise through the areas were the squeegee guys work, to put a stop to these crimes. Some of these guys are predators, not "workers".

Old 10-20-2022, 08:19 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
This is an insane story that I just saw on Twitter…..

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/ne...0-from-mother/

A man lured 3 squeegee boys into his truck by offering them money to help him move things. Then he took them to a house in West Baltimore and attempted to murder them.

A day before, his mother was approached by squeegee boys and she didn’t have any money, so she handed them her phone and they stole $2200 from her cash app.

So he set up this plot to murder them for revenge. Two of the squeegee boys were shot in the head/neck, and the third escaped. It’s not clear what the condition of the shot squeegee boys is.

This is insane. Obviously what he did was right wrong, but this is another example in a long line of how big of a nuisance these squeegee boys are causing. It’s becoming dangerous for both them and citizens!

Sounds like Chris and Snoop are at it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore