Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 08:54 AM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times

Advertisements

My biggest peeves is that it's not like Baltimore is the only city in US that has a fair size population in poverty. But no, you don't hear about squeegee workers harassing motorists left and right anywhere else but B'more. And the fact that officials are just not doing anything about that?

As an earlier thread puts it, "systematic failure" indeed. I can hope Bates actually do something but I'm only half hopeful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 08:12 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
My biggest peeves is that it's not like Baltimore is the only city in US that has a fair size population in poverty. But no, you don't hear about squeegee workers harassing motorists left and right anywhere else but B'more. And the fact that officials are just not doing anything about that?

As an earlier thread puts it, "systematic failure" indeed. I can hope Bates actually do something but I'm only half hopeful...
true. i've never encountered 'squeegee workers' in any other city.

Baltimore couple robbed by squeegee kid with police stationed feet away
^last saturday

Old 11-02-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
true. i've never encountered 'squeegee workers' in any other city.

Baltimore couple robbed by squeegee kid with police stationed feet away
^last saturday
NYC used to have them...but after Giuliani (back when he was somewhat sane) basically start a campaign to remove all of them, they're nowhere as prevalent nowaday.

I've seen squeegee workers around in Houston personally - but definitely never heard anything aggressive about them. Most of them just go away once you tell them no. Definitely no banging on your cars or threatening to break your windshield type of behavior.

Old 11-06-2022, 02:52 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Sooo.. part of the the "leaked" report from the Mayor's Squeegee Collaborative is that they (the kids) will come up with a Code of Conduct and use it to govern themselves, the city will designate areas for squeegeeing, and they will pay the kids not to commit crimes.

First off.. lets hope that these summaries are oversimplified versions of what is actually in the report.

Here are my questions. Is the goal to create an area where motorists can pull off safely (parking lot) and allow these kids to clean their windshield, wash their car etc? Aside from the run off going into the bay wouldnt that make more sense than allowing an activity that is illegal to continue on the street? Self Governance- would seem to make sense IF it is related to activities on said parking lot NOT in traffic where the activity is already deemed to be illegal (atleast by the States Atty)..and relating to how they plan to market their services, divide up their money etc. Paying not to commit crimes...is that saying IF you stay in the designated lot.. you will be paid a stipend BUT you must also participate in some other training program where maybe you can earn a GED or something else so you can well.. STOP HAVING TO SQUEEGEE? Not saying any of this will work, but what is currently being put out there will likely be met with opposition by the average Baltimore Taxpayer... Hell who wouldnt want to be paid not to commit a crime.. I will just ask the city to take my stipend off of my tax bill thank you very much and I promise not to commit a crime. At some point the citizens of Baltimore are going to ask for a menu each budget year and people will be able to select the types of initiatives (beyond basic public services) our tax dollars can be used for.. because clearly we cant elect people to do that on our behalf

Again.. what has been "leaked" doesnt sound rational atleast from the soundbites on the news. Hopefully, there is more information forthcoming but given the City's track record.. what we see may be what we get...

Old 11-06-2022, 03:59 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
LOL, good lord!

Old 11-10-2022, 01:31 PM

23 posts, read 77,325 times
Cops would be nuts to do anything to these Squeegee Workers. Why should Cops risk their job & pension for? There will be phone videos all over the news about how these sweet little angels were just working to save up tuition money to enroll in Medical School next semester; but the Cops had to rough up these minors....they is just childrenz.

Cops should just put it on cruise control and take it easy. They won't get medals nor promotions, but a steady paycheck; up to retirement w/pension.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:02 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,324,811 times
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politic...7ba-story.html

Looks like there officially banning squeegee’ing along 6 of the most notorious corridors.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:31 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politic...7ba-story.html

Looks like there officially banning squeegee’ing along 6 of the most notorious corridors.
It’s likely the most one could hope for. They’ll probably relocate other places, but if they are at least prevented from squeegeeing along the “main routes” of the city, at least the “nuisance factor” from the perspective of commuters, tourists, etc should be reduced.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:31 AM

75 posts, read 78,945 times
It's difficult to comment on this stupid decision but surrounding counties better prepare for an influx of these issues.

Old 11-11-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It’s likely the most one could hope for. They’ll probably relocate other places, but if they are at least prevented from squeegeeing along the “main routes” of the city, at least the “nuisance factor” from the perspective of commuters, tourists, etc should be reduced.
Now we'll see if it really get enforced. It definitely does make the "nuisance" factor for county-people (like me) going to the city lower, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1973 View Post
It's difficult to comment on this stupid decision but surrounding counties better prepare for an influx of these issues.
The surrounding counties ain't going to just let those squeegee "workers" go around and harass motorists, though - they ain't handcuffed like BCPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore