Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 61,652 times

Advertisements

I lived and rented in Baltimore City (Mount Vernon) from 2002 to 2005 and loved it. I'm looking to move back and perhaps this time purchase a home. I am interested in any and all input into safest places to live in the city for a single female. For the most part I felt safe in Mount Vernon, my friend who came to visit me did have his car broken into on one occasion-- but that was the only safety issue I ever encountered. I'm not sure if crime rates have changed in the last two years though? I know that suburbs are safer, however, I'm a young single professional and don't really feel like I fit into the suburbs. I'm currently considering buying a home in Mount Vernon, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill (not so much Canton-- I don't love it as much as other areas). Does anyone live in any of these areas or know anything about the rate of crimes in these areas? Also I'm considering whether these areas border high-crime areas, because that seems to be a factor in crime rates.

Last edited by Kristinesq; 01-08-2007 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 04:55 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
Those neighborhoods have gotten a little safer over the past couple years...

I don't know about the safest part of the city, probably some of the more suburbanish areas like Roland Park.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,479 times
All of those areas border high-crime areas. Baltimore is kind of a high crime city - however, I love Bolton Hill and Mt Vernon. To buy, I would suggest Bolton Hill over Mt. Vernon (although the new condos on Charles look really nice, so...). Bolton Hill has more of a neighborhood feel to it. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:27 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,009 times
If you're in it for the long haul, I'd say Bolton Hill. It has a nice mix of singles, families, and empty-nesters. In terms of crime -- there is no one safe neighborhood here. Not even Roland Park or Mt. Washington are immune -- that's just life in the city.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:38 PM

21 posts, read 133,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinesq View Post
Also I'm considering whether these areas border high-crime areas, because that seems to be a factor in crime rates.
Every single neighborhood in south Baltimore borders a high crime area. ALMOST every single neighborhood within the city limits borders a high crime area. Based on crime rate alone, Mount Vernon is the safest, followed by Federal Hill and then Bolton Hill. Safety in these neighborhoods is a relative term, though. You are still taking a huge risk. I wouldn't recommend a single female buying in any of these neighborhoods.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:21 PM

225 posts, read 835,221 times
Try the Patterson Park area. Plenty of things to do for young professionals. Close to Canton, but not Canton. Wonderful mix of housing rehabs. Lived here 6 years, Crime is a factor of city life. I currently know of a rehab for sale in the area. PM me if you want more information.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 35,011 times
How about the Rosedale or Parkville areas? They are just outside Baltimore city, in Baltimore County technically, so are they largely OK? Specifically the areas in Rosedale along East Hazelwood Ave and Rossville Blvd, just near the junction of 695 and 95?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM

152 posts, read 487,445 times
Remington is my neighborhood, I'm a young (single) professional and I find that area to be safe, moreso than both Bolton Hill and Mt. Vernon. I also got a great deal on a fully rehabbed home when I purchased in Remington.

It does border high crime areas, but as everyone has already said, what neighborhood in Baltimore doesn't?

Last edited by atariwhizkid; 09-10-2010 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Added financial comment

Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
Locust Point doesn't but that's because it's surrounded by water. Nice area tho and I'm planning on going to the dog park there tomorrow.

I live in Bolton Hill and am a young (late twenties) professional. The area is really active during the college semesters then is kinda quiet during summer and winter breaks. The architecture is really unique. It's a cool area. Mt Vernon is close for stuff to do so that's a plus. I think Mt Vernon is a better area for going out more tho.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 64,214 times
Whoever suggested Patterson Park rehab???less I'm in error of where that is...my 1st thought honestly was that he was the owner or seller of that rehab. Hey sorry if wrong.

Last edited by eutawangel; 12-17-2010 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: