Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,888 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Baltimore. I have an 11 year old and a 6 year old and don't know where to begin to look to see if this is the right move for our family. We currently live in NJ with a top-rated school system.

Can anyone give me advice on what areas are close enough to Baltimore for a short commute, safe and family friendly with an excellent school system? Are the public school systems outstanding or do we need to look into private schools? Anything I should know/be wary of?

Any advice you could offer would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:39 AM

485 posts, read 1,952,755 times
With kids, think about Towson, the city is no place for a child.

Baltimore public schools are totally dysfunctional

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-07-2008 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: please present info with substance and links to facts. thanks

Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
I have heard of some parents being very happy with city schools.

But anyway, where in Baltimore would the job be? If it's downtown, two suburbs come to mind: Lutherville (Baltimore County) and Linthicum (Anne Arundel County). Both are on the light rail line that can make commuting to downtown a breeze.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:57 PM

258 posts, read 1,011,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post

I teach in a city school and can tell you its far from dysfunctional..in fact there are more than a handful that are pretty damn good schools.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post

These generalities are very annoying. Yes, Baltimore City Schools have issues but there are many that are doing quite well and progressing. And... there are plenty of children in the city who are good kids and enjoying their neighborhoods. Stop lumping people.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,952,755 times
Baltimore schools have more issues than National Geographic.

There are a few good schools, I'm sure, but most are war zones.

That's why so many private schools.

Everything in the City is politics-and it's hard to get involved on a meaningful level.

Someday, a Federal Task Force will probably sweep through, and clean things up, then real improvement can begin.

Baltimore City has been a write off for a long time-I remember when the poor souls from the mental institutions were dumped into Downtown, and the homeless problem began in earnest.

Drugs are still killing the City.

A lot of mistakes have been made, and setting it right is a real problem, one which is not being addressed in any sensible way.

If NYC could be cleaned up, why not Baltimore?

Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 AM

258 posts, read 1,011,007 times
The last thing anybody should want...is a Federal Task Force to come through. As if things aren't already bogged down enough.

Things need to be done more "organically" and a few of the charter schools along with a couple of other schools that were allowed to "stray" from the traditional Balto City approach are leading the way in how our education should be approached here in the city with so many resources to tap into.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:26 AM

103 posts, read 533,865 times
lets leave the School debate out of this and try to get facts.

Considering Baltimore- I too am about to move to this city, there are many sites out there that can give you FACTS on the school systems here, how they rank in the state, and the US.

I have all my data collected already, now I just goto figure out which one of the 30 burbs I want to sink my roots into.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-15-2008 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Sorry but no links to competitors sites. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be More View Post
I teach in a city school and can tell you its far from dysfunctional..in fact there are more than a handful that are pretty damn good schools.
I just accepted a job in Baltimore City at an elementary school on Caroline Street. I am new to the area, do you know if that is a safe area or not? I would appreciate any any information you can give me! Thanks

Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM

17 posts, read 54,907 times
I have lived in the Baltimore area since I moved to MD in 2006. I know this will come as a surprise to some of the Baltimore haters on the board, but we absolutely love it here. My family and I rented in Fells Point, Canton, Owings Mills, and at long last, we just purchased a lovely remodeled rowhome on N. Lakewood in Patterson Park.

I came to Baltimore anitially on a one year detail for work, so when I moved here, we decided to be adventurous and take a stab at city life. Both my wife and I were raised as kids of the suburbs, and since we were already well versed with the suburban lifestyle, we really wanted to try something new. You know what, my wife, my kids, and I all loved it. We could walk to the park, the grocery, wonderful restaurants, touristy crap at the harbor, my kid's school, the bar - my wife and me, not the little ones - and it was just great. Sure, parking was a pain, but since we didn't use the car much, this wasn't so bad.

After that first year, I was brought on full time here in Baltimore, and I lost the extra salary I had been receiving for maintaining a home in addition to my Baltimore residence. We had to cut back, so we moved out to the berbs (Owings Mills) in a move which we thought would help us cut expenses. Rent, yep, it was cheeper, but everything else, utilities, gas for a longer commute, child care, etc. all added up, and we found ourselves paying more, and liking our surroundings less. I'm not going to dog Owings Mills, but when compared with the fun we had in the city, there is no comparison.

After experiencing what both Baltimore City and Baltimore County have to offer, we decided to buy a home in the city. We finally chose Patterson Park because of its proximity to the park, and the fact that we could enjoy the same level of safety that we could have in Canton, but get much more home for our money. The PPCDC PPNA, and the Friends of Patterson Park have really shown how much can be done to return a neighborhood in distress, to a wonderful place to live. Quite frankly, we want to b part of this atmosphere. Paterson Park Community Charter School, and Hamstead Hill, are both great schools, and we can't wait to move in to the neighborhood and start really living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore