Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM

17 posts, read 86,534 times

Advertisements

I saw a beautiful home for sale in Dickeysville, and I wondered what the feel of the neighborhood is. I am intrigued by all of the posts regarding the renovation of Mondawmin mall. Is Dickeysville a gentrified area?

Barante, help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Smile correction

Dickeyville

Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Dickeyville is a great little area snuggled in the city limits. It is on the far west side near the county line. Very historic and has always been a nice neighborhood: no need for gentrification there. It is a bit of a distance to Mondawmin Mall however.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Clarification

I actually find that a good thing that it is not close to Mondawmin Mall. I only mentioned that because the only posts that I could find here that mention Dickeyville included discussions about the potential up and coming nature of the area overall.

I perused the Dickeyville village website. Cute! It may be a wee bit sleepy for me, but the folks look festive and welcoming. It even looked a little diverse (I saw whites, a handful of blacks, and even an Asian)! I wonder if anyone would have an opinion about Dickeyville vs. say a Mt Washington for a 30-something black single professional with dog who likes diversity...

Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Mt. Washington is better for you at this point of your life. But Dickeyville throws a hell of a party each summer. It goes on and on and on. And it is very close to the magnificent Gwynns Falls trail.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:55 AM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
I would probably choose Mt. Washington over Dickeyville, but only because Mt. Washington has more businesses nearby.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,042 times
Never one to do too much on line, though trying to get a feel for safety of the surrounding area of Dickeysville. We're considering transitioning our child to the Dickeysville Day Nursery and havnt found any parent reviews. Anyone out there have any feedback on the day care center spefically, that would be helpful before registering and 2. how safe is the surrounding area would you say. See there is a golf course; hospital; near city line and the daycare seems to sit in a nook by itself... Pleeeaase some feedback of crime or odd (disruptive) situations in the area!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,207 times
Dickeyville is a very tight community. Liberal, progressive and dedicated to the well-being of the neighborhood.

Mount Washington is larger and is not as diverse as Dickeyville although moreso compared to Roland Park or Homeland. Very progressive community with a variety of housing stock. The local businesses in the village center and closeby gives it an advantage over Dickeyville which is an island unto itself and whose residents must drive long distances for the amenities they favor.

But I urge you to visit both places and drive around. The people in Dickeyville genuinely love Dickeyville and many are very long time residents, which must tell you something about the nature of the place.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Dickeyville is a very tight community. Liberal, progressive and dedicated to the well-being of the neighborhood.

Mount Washington is larger and is not as diverse as Dickeyville although moreso compared to Roland Park or Homeland. Very progressive community with a variety of housing stock. The local businesses in the village center and closeby gives it an advantage over Dickeyville which is an island unto itself and whose residents must drive long distances for the amenities they favor.

But I urge you to visit both places and drive around. The people in Dickeyville genuinely love Dickeyville and many are very long time residents, which must tell you something about the nature of the place.
Dickeyville is really neat. It's unlike anywhere else in Baltimore. I don't know much about the day care but the hospital (if it's Kernan hospital you're referencing) is not a standard hospital, it's for people rehabiliting from major spinal injuries and other maladies.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,014 times
Smile Dickeysville Day Nursery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousparentoftoddler View Post
Never one to do too much on line, though trying to get a feel for safety of the surrounding area of Dickeysville. We're considering transitioning our child to the Dickeysville Day Nursery and havnt found any parent reviews. Anyone out there have any feedback on the day care center spefically, that would be helpful before registering and 2. how safe is the surrounding area would you say. See there is a golf course; hospital; near city line and the daycare seems to sit in a nook by itself... Pleeeaase some feedback of crime or odd (disruptive) situations in the area!

My nephew attends the nursery and loves it. I am impressed by how much he has learned in the past year. They lots of celebratory family events too. The teachers are caring and take the time to know your child personally. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: