Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Sta Sta started this thread

2 posts, read 9,805 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Baltimore (got a postdoc position at Johns Hopkins Med school) and I am looking for a place to rent. I won't have a car, unless there is no other choice. The point is my budget allows either a more upscale apartment or a car, both won't fit... I figured that area around Homewood campus and downtown area are connected to the hospital via Hopkins shuttle (both) and metro (latter) plus as far as I understood groceries are within a walking distance.
I already viewed several highrises in downtown area (all managed by Southern Management). Downtown looked fine to me, except for the area around The Atrium at N Howard street. I felt pretty uncomfortable there even at 10am.
I'm curious how downtown looks in the evening. My concern that it gets deserted after all folks working in nearby offices go back home. Is it true?
How safe and comfortable is the metro? There is a metro station near Charles center and it seems to be a nice way to commute to Johns Hopkins Hospital.
I loved The Standard building, but to get there walking up St. Paul str. left me with some mixed feelings, in broad daylight it was fine, but how does it looks afterhours? Had to pass some deserted blocks, that might be scary in the evening.

Is it safer to live around Homewood campus and just take a shuttle to the hospital? What are the renting options in a high-rise apartment building over there? Are tehre grocery stores around? I've never been in that area, so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, guys, in advance, this forum is such a helpful place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,551,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta View Post
I'm moving to Baltimore (got a postdoc position at Johns Hopkins Med school) and I am looking for a place to rent. I won't have a car, unless there is no other choice. The point is my budget allows either a more upscale apartment or a car, both won't fit... I figured that area around Homewood campus and downtown area are connected to the hospital via Hopkins shuttle (both) and metro (latter) plus as far as I understood groceries are within a walking distance.
I already viewed several highrises in downtown area (all managed by Southern Management). Downtown looked fine to me, except for the area around The Atrium at N Howard street. I felt pretty uncomfortable there even at 10am.
I'm curious how downtown looks in the evening. My concern that it gets deserted after all folks working in nearby offices go back home. Is it true?
How safe and comfortable is the metro? There is a metro station near Charles center and it seems to be a nice way to commute to Johns Hopkins Hospital.
I loved The Standard building, but to get there walking up St. Paul str. left me with some mixed feelings, in broad daylight it was fine, but how does it looks afterhours? Had to pass some deserted blocks, that might be scary in the evening.

Is it safer to live around Homewood campus and just take a shuttle to the hospital? What are the renting options in a high-rise apartment building over there? Are tehre grocery stores around? I've never been in that area, so all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, guys, in advance, this forum is such a helpful place!
That shuttle is a great option. I realized that my niece used it all the time and I completely forgot about that until yesterday. Are you asking about the Homewood area (Charles Village) or downtown?
Downtown: There are more and more people living downtown and I have noticed that it is usually pretty busy. If you are with other people, no problem. When it gets late, I would cab it if I was by myself if you are traveling a distance. The Standard Bldg. is a great place. I love those high ceilings in it. One of the empty blocks you may have passed along the way is now a big pit for the new Mercy extension.
I use both the Charles Center stop and the Hopkins stop on my commutes. Both are fine and the metro is the safest form of mass transit in the city. There is lots of security at both stops. If you are walking at night, Charles Street is the best option. You will see lots of walkers and traffic along it.
In terms of groceries, see the thread called "not another relocation thread".

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Sta Sta started this thread

2 posts, read 9,805 times
thanks a lot jonjj,
what I meant by an empty block, was a funny looking place right before the "bridge" you cross to get to the standard, it did not look as a construction spot as of Monday, more like an abandoned parking lot with some small houses deeper in. It well may be, that I was just overwhelmed in general.. I find relocation to be a stressful business.

good to hear that metro is safe.

as to what I'm asking about - I am researching the options, so far I considered just the Downtown and I'm thinking whether to extend my search to charles village as well. I think it won't hurt to visit charles village as well.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,551,757 times
Well, Charles Village is a nice neighborhood; more residential than downtown. There are places to eat, etc. along St Paul between 31st and 33rd. A grocery store (Giants) is at 33rd and Greenmount. There are also places along Charles. They have a great farmer's market there every Saturday morning. It is fairly busy at night, especially when the students get back for the fall semester. Barnes and Nobel Books at St Paul and 33rd.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,782,856 times
Both of your alternatives are good and getting better. If you think downtown is deserted now at night, you should have seen it five years ago.
As to the JHU area, Baltimore never had a place that had a college town feeling. With all the new construction there, we finally have.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM

757 posts, read 2,545,556 times
You might also want to look at the Mt. Vernon area. It's close to downtown, but there would be more activity at night due to the many restaurants and bars in the area, since that seems to be a concern. You could take the Hopkins shuttle to the hospital from the stop next to the Washington Monument, or you could walk to the Metro at State Center if you were on the west side of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: