Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 PM

9 posts, read 62,132 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase a home in Bel Air for a family of 4, what can you tell me about the area? Schools look great, do you agree? How long of a commute to Baltimore? Are people friendly? Do most people own their homes? Is the town on an up swing or down swing? Can you explain the area of Fallston? And Forest Hill?

All comments would be helpful! THanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 04:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Harford County is very nice and Bel Air is a good and growing area.
Where do you work in B'more? If you take 95 from Exit 77 down to the tunnel in the AM it can get quite hectic. Then again, I would trade that traffic with Atlanta's anytime

Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 PM

Thank you! I will metion that my husband. Do you think Bel Air is a solid area to raise kids? I want them to have great academic opportunities but still have "neighborhood values" where kids play street hockey, and walk into town. Do you think Bel Air has that?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 42,871 times
On the northeast side of town Belair I think is one of the best. It's like what other cities would call a "bedroom community" of Baltimore. It's a pricier area, but it's a good areas for kids, shopping, eating out. Like NJ to NY?

Be careful when you look at homes to check what schools your kids would go to- some areas of Belair closer to 95 have kids busssed in. You can check schools at greatschoolsdotnet.

Specifically- yes, I am sure the kids would have other to play with. No- I wouldn't expect the "kids to walk to town". Belair isn't really that little. It has a historical and govermental downtown (goverment of Harford Co there), but for the most part it's comprised of lots of housing communities in a very large area surrounding a shopping district/area with malls, lots of strip centers- centered around the intersection of two major roads. Belair used to be a large farming community that has grown into being a "town" mainly due to suburban sprawl, IMO.

If you are looking for cool, funky, different, hip unique eateries, and things that make areas special- Belair kind of lacks all that IMO. If you are looking for store you expect to see anywhere in the US- Belair has them- Applebees, Outback's etc, of the world- Walmart, etc. Not saying I don't like those places myself- my kids certainly do, though!

Fallston and Forest Hill are definately more rural, again, very nice areas- no large shopping area like Belair. Most people definatley own their homes in most of these areas. All safe- all on an upswing.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 PM

Thank you this is helpful information! I do have one question, when you say Northeast side of Bel Air, do you meat the 15 zip code area? If so, what are your thoughts on the Fountain Glen school? Do you know anything about West Riding or Homestead Village communities? What communities would you recommend in the 300 - 400 range? I have two boys, 2 and one will be entering K next year? We have moved several times in the past 5 years and we are tired of moving, I just want the perfect place for my boys to call home! Do you live in Bel Air or the surrounding area?

Thanks for all the input!

T-

Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 310,164 times
Default Bel Air

Yes, Bel Air is very safe and a nice area to move to with famliy. Schools are great and the people are very nice and down to earth. Fear of the area is just not an issue there. Be more careful if you look outside of Bel Air, especially South of Bel Air. (Edgewood)

Old 02-10-2007, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 23,009 times
Thumbs up Fountain Green Schools

Fountain Green Elementary is a great elementary school and it feeds into Southampton Middle and CMWright HS which are tops in Harford County. The West Riding neighborhood is good but it doesn't feed into the three schools above. I would stay away from the Homestead/Wakefield area. It's doesn't have a high crime rate (probably low crime) but the homes are older in that area and they feed into schools that are overcrowded and undergoing redistricting. I would stay in the 15 zipcode and check on the schools in the area. Overall, Harford County has a low crime rate. Good Luck!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 AM

21 posts, read 134,014 times
Aberdeen Proving Grounds is nearby and within the next few years an additional 5-10K people will be working there. What this will do to traffic, schools, and housing I don't know....just something to consider.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 42,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenofury View Post
Aberdeen Proving Grounds is nearby and within the next few years an additional 5-10K people will be working there. What this will do to traffic, schools, and housing I don't know....just something to consider.
My husband works at APG they are going to move the installation to another post I think that its going to be just civilians. The move should be completed by 2009

Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o_arlene View Post
My husband works at APG they are going to move the installation to another post I think that its going to be just civilians. The move should be completed by 2009
Not quite true. The ordinance school is moving out, but most of the civilians from Ft Monmouth, NJ will be coming in to APG. It will be a net increase. Some moves may happen by this year, but full BRAC implementation will be happening 2008-2011. I know the few coming to my group are scheduled to show up until 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore