Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 14,741 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move near JHU Homewood. Anyone know of a good apt building that they can recommend? I am trying to find a relatively new building, or one that was recently renovated.

I found this one: Halstead at Guilford, but I could not locate any reviews about it. Anyone familiar with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 PM

181 posts, read 633,374 times
I've been in it a couple of times with clients. It's very nice, and within an easy, pleasant walk to Hopkins Homewood. The neighborhoods great. The nearby Ambassador Apartments have a world-class Indian restaurant off the lobby, though the building is old, it has some updates and is great. The smart Hopkins people, depending on their taste live near the Halstead and Ambassador or in Hampden. For the others...........there's always Charles Village.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 14,741 times
Thanks for the tip!

I am guessing that Hampden is mostly townhomes? Or are there any apartment buildings there you can recommend?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Hi,

Why don't you try the JHU housing website? You can contact their off-campus housing office and ask if anyone can recommend an apartment for you:
Phone: 410-516-7961
Fax: 410-516-3950
Email: offcampus@hd.jhu.edu
I have seen some nice new bldgs near the campus, but I'm not sure if they're advertised. Good luck and welcome to Charm city

Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Halstead

I just drove up Charles Street this afternoon and I passed the Halstead. I guess I had never noticed it before. It's pretty close to JHU and it looks swanky from the outside. It looks fairly new and is close to lots of shops. I see on their website that they also have a pool and other amenities.

The picture on the halsteadatguilford website seems a bit misleading, either that or I was on the wrong side of the building. The building is set back from a busy street. Their ad on apartments.com has pretty good and accurate pictures, though.

The tax record suggests this place was built/renovated in 2005, but I'm not sure. . .

Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM

181 posts, read 633,374 times
Hampden has mostly townhouses, many of which are rented to Hopkins students (mostly Grad students, though). The smart Hopkins kids live there; if you get 2-3 roommates, and split the rent, you get your own bedroom, a shared kitchen and living room, and often storage in the basement, sometimes a deck or small yard. And you can share things and info with people you know and like. For a fraction of the rent you might pay in Charles Village--with no where near the street crime. Of course, Hampden might not be for everybody--it's kinda funky and eclectic.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:05 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,145 times
The owners of the Halstead decided to convert it from apartments into luxury condos a few of years ago. I remember reading an article about elderly tenants being forced to move because they didn't want to buy their units. The condo market went bust as the building was being renovated, and the owners decided to turn them back into apartments. Probably very nice inside given the recent renovations and also in a great location, near JHU and Charles Village, but in arguably the most upscale neighborhood in Baltimore. Not much nightlife other than the One World Cafe and some fine dining establishments (Ambassador Dining Room, Spice Company, the Carlyle Club, Brasserie Tatin) but you'd be close to Charles Village and Hampden.

You might also want to look at the Carrolton. It's a nearby condo building, but I think some units are rented out. Well-maintained with very large rooms and an underground parking garage.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:04 AM

I didn't get the impression that there was no nightlife. Granted I was driving, so maybe my POV was skewed. The Halstead seemed very close to everything in Charles Village. It also looked very nice, safe and beautiful. I also looked at the rents, and they seemed reasonable to me. If his parents are willing to spend about $1000 a month for housing, I think that place would be a good bet.

Also, as a student, I assume he will be studying a lot of the time ; ) and will go out only on the weekends, right? In that location he's close enough to take a taxi to Mt. Vernon, for instance and hang out with the people at the Brewers Art, the Red Maple etc. There are tons of other Hopkins students do the same. I think that since the building is so big AND it's so close to campus even if he didn't go out to a nightclub, there would be lots of other students to hang out with. I'm sure the other students have parties and things he could enjoy. Also, I'm sure JHU has lots of clubs, parties and on-campus activities for students, too. He would be close enough to campus to walk to those types of activities, not to mention sports games etc. and stagger back home.

Not that I work for the Halstead or anything, but it DID seem pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
The owners of the Halstead decided to convert it from apartments into luxury condos a few of years ago. I remember reading an article about elderly tenants being forced to move because they didn't want to buy their units. The condo market went bust as the building was being renovated, and the owners decided to turn them back into apartments. Probably very nice inside given the recent renovations and also in a great location, near JHU and Charles Village, but in arguably the most upscale neighborhood in Baltimore. Not much nightlife other than the One World Cafe and some fine dining establishments (Ambassador Dining Room, Spice Company, the Carlyle Club, Brasserie Tatin) but you'd be close to Charles Village and Hampden.

You might also want to look at the Carrolton. It's a nearby condo building, but I think some units are rented out. Well-maintained with very large rooms and an underground parking garage.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 11,130 times
Default hmm

Do you think that the Halstead apartments would be good for a family. We are considering a move to Baltimore in the middle of the Holiday season and we are at odds as to where to live. My husband would be working for John Hopkins, which would make it convenient.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:17 PM

68 posts, read 271,445 times
I have a friend that works at JHU Homewood and lives at Hallstead. I think it's like a 10 minute walk. I went over that place once. To me, it seemed really luxurious. Almost too much nice for a young adult (ha ha). Marble, gold trim, and other nice features make it look rich. He was paying $1400 for a 2 bedroom this year. I think you'd pay around $1000 for a one bedroom. You could walk to Charles Village if you wanted too. Not much going on other than a couple small bars and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore