Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 45,329 times

Advertisements

Hey there Baltimoreans! I taught at Woodlawn High School for one year (and lived). What is the local--I mean local as in Baltimore, not Timonium--perspective on this school? Yikes, what poor attitudes, what a sense of entitlement!
I wish that one of the media outlets had fully investigated the "protests" at the school last February--I'd tell them what went on, not the sugar-coated version from Principal Jackson. There should be a Sunshine Law for what a travesty that school is--I'd disclose plenty!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 12:41 PM

21 posts, read 133,989 times
From being a native and current resident, my perspective is that it's a horrible school plagued by violence. My view of the surrounding neighborhood is the same. And as far as the riots go, in PC Maryland that was on the news for all of five seconds.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
All I know is I had a friend with a daughter in the PS system in B County about 10 years ago. One of her class projects was how to access the Public Welfare System, WIC, HUD, etc., but nothing in regard to reading, writing, science, and math.

That was enough to form my opinion the the school system.

Guess that is where the sense of entitlement is coming from. Then again, I think it is more a national issue than a Maryland PS issue

Old 02-04-2007, 07:38 PM

269 posts, read 1,054,479 times
I think it depends on your race and situation. If you're poor and black - then going to Woodlawn is an escape from your typical city high school. I have a coworker (former teacher as well!) who went to Poly and Woodlawn - and felt he got a better education at Woodlawn. This was 15 years ago though.

And it's not just a "black" thing - I taught at Dundalk for two years. It's the same. The kids are angry, and to some extent they have a right to be. Life is far from fair for a lot of these kids. They feel like someone owes them something, and we all know no one is going to do much for someone who thinks everyone owes them something. It's a sad cycle that continues to repeat itself in poverty.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,283 times
Default How things have changed...

The really sad thing is that Woodlawn was a great school years ago and I guess most of the change now is probably related to how the area itself has changed. I graduated from WHS in the late 70's and I believe most of my graduating class went on to college, though I don't have figures for that in front of me. In 30 years the area has gone from having typical, small town crime problems to being a major crime zone in the county. I can't imagine having to raise a child in that area now - no matter what ethnic background!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM

8 posts, read 25,997 times
Default Help

If you work in Woodlawn then where would you suggest someone move and live near by to raise a family? We are thinking about relocating and would appreciate any info.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:10 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,479 times
Catonsville or Owings Mills in Baltimore County, Ellicott City or in surrounding area in Howard County.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,987 times
I was a student at woodlawn. Graduated in 2005. I was there during the riots. I was there during the fights with razors and socks filled with rocks. i was there when a teacher had sex with a student. I came from going to a private school from 1st grade to 10th and ended up at woodlawn. i hated it. I would do it again though beacuse I can honestly say I learned a lesson from it all. But PS need to be takin better care of. Its ridiculous what some of them have become. Shame on our state. What a shame.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:25 PM

72 posts, read 448,319 times
I am moving from the Woodlawn (Gwynn Oak) area, and can't get away fast enough. I don't have children, but if I did, I'd have to find a way financially to send them to private school.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 AM

418 posts, read 1,734,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamandan View Post
If you work in Woodlawn then where would you suggest someone move and live near by to raise a family? We are thinking about relocating and would appreciate any info.
Woodlawn's reputation just gets worse and worse. If you work in Woodlawn and need to send your kids to a decent school, live in Catonsville (south of Route 40, starting with Edmonson Ave, and outside the beltway). The Catonsville schools are all pretty good, and you just have a short drive down Route 40 or Edmonson Ave. or whatever to get to your job. Ellicott City's also nice, but it's further west, meaning more time driving with commuter traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore