Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:47 PM

21 posts, read 101,211 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am moving to Maryland from New Jersey to attend a Masters program at the University of Baltimore. Is the area around the school bad? Can anyone who lives or is familiar with the area let me in on it? I have only heard negative reviews but most of the people who told me that never lived there. So let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
The area directly by the University of Baltimore is fine. Look in Mt. Vernon or Charles Village for places. The university is by the train station and also convenient to light rail so you could also consider Hampden a possibility. I am sure the university has a placement center or can advise you on where to live.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times
UB (location Mid-Town Belvedere/Mount Vernon) and JHU (location Charles Village) are in different areas but close.

Mid-Town Belvedere/Mount Vernon is where UB is located and it's a nice area. A lot of action and you can easily get around the city. Downtown is really close and decent too.

Bolton Hill is really close and a nice walk. Reservoir Hill is a little farther and the area is shady but the rent is cheap.

Charles Village North is close but is in the process of getting revitalized. Charles Village is nice and a lot of JHU students are there.

Map of B'more
http://www.livebaltimore.com/ID=3444..._June_2005.pdf

Old 12-05-2008, 07:19 AM

I am not going to live there I am going to live in Annapolis. Just going there for school just wanted to know if the area is safe at night.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Yes you will be fine. Good luck with that commute.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesousa View Post
I am not going to live there I am going to live in Annapolis. Just going there for school just wanted to know if the area is safe at night.
You're probably more likely to be a victim of an auto accident driving 60 miles round trip to class than a victim of crime in the UB area if that's any comfort.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:28 AM

lol ye good point. Actually I am only going to be living in Annapolis for like the first 2-3 months then I am moving a lot closer to the University probabaly like Severna Park. My roomates and I are trying to find a mid way point since they both work in Annapolis. Do you guys know of any job openings? I had a job and then it fell through I really need a job I have a bachelors degree in Psy with a good GPA and I have a lot of experience working in law firms and as a nanny. Any good advice?

By the way thank you all for the candid responses!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:42 PM

56 posts, read 264,411 times
Hey,

With the Psyc degree, there won't be a whole lot of options for what to do, at least not where you'll make money. You'd have to look into something where you would be like a house counselor, advocate or job coach for the mentally handicapped, perhaps tutoring in one of the many after school programs that have cropped up in light of the No Child Left Behind Act. Have you applied for a gig on campus or as a research asst in the Pscy Dept? That's how I got through along with working for BARC as a weekend counselor because I could get in 40 hours between Fri night and Sun evening. It might work out for you.

I agree with the previous poster about that commute as that is a long one between Annapolis...or Severna Pak...and UB.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Ye it is tough commute but I commuted 40 minutes each way all through undergrad so I am use to it. Not to worried rite now I am just worried about getting a job. I don't really want to be a counselor I want to work in the corporate world main reason why I am going for I/O. I am looking into full time secretarial positions.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:00 PM

i know not worried about it at all just worried about getting a job and safety thats it =*)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore