Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM

41 posts, read 182,786 times

Advertisements

So...okay this might be a little of a longer explanation but I kind of want to include it if only to vent a little.

I live in west baltimore, me and my husband sometimes get on his motorcyle and go exploring the city...not far away from our house we have come across places that look like a bomb went off...like there was this war that we somehow missed and that no one talks about.

I am just a little country girl, and this whole racial tension and the history of it in Baltimore is just so different from anything I've ever experianced. It's very tiring at times...but it's always made me realize there are a lot of things I don't understand, and that I am missing a lot of information in my determination about Baltimore.

All that being said, I am looking for books/newspapers/websites about the history of this stuff. I want to read about the riots (I know the paper did a good article on it last winter...it was right when we had first moved to Baltimore and it was really helpful) but I find most of the information to be lacking in perspective...as in I feel like I am missing some important peices of information about the events that led up to the riots. (e.g., the L.A. riots didn't just appear out of nowhere, there was a long history of housing restrictions, job restrictions, etc. that fueled it for decades before any rioting actually occured) That's the kind of information I want to know.

I know this sounds kind of stupid but...you know, this is my city...I think it's history is really important in understanding the type of city it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,807,568 times
Default Riots

The University of Baltimore sponsored an excellent retrospective conference on the riots. If you google, you may find what you want.
Here is the timeline:
Timeline
Baltimore, unlike many other cities, had not experienced major riots before the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. As to the causes, interpretations vary. Some scholars reject the appellation "riots" and prefer "disturbances" or "unrest."
http://www.examiner.com/a-929948~Antero_Pietila__Mayor_s_No_1_task_is_create _new_jobs.html (broken link)
http://www.examiner.com/a-172599~Antero_Pietila__Heal_the_city_s_lasting_sca rs__Reinvigorate_riot_torn_areas.html (broken link)

Last edited by barante; 09-09-2008 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM

156 posts, read 786,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
So...okay this might be a little of a longer explanation but I kind of want to include it if only to vent a little.

I live in west baltimore, me and my husband sometimes get on his motorcyle and go exploring the city...not far away from our house we have come across places that look like a bomb went off...like there was this war that we somehow missed and that no one talks about.

I am just a little country girl, and this whole racial tension and the history of it in Baltimore is just so different from anything I've ever experianced. It's very tiring at times...but it's always made me realize there are a lot of things I don't understand, and that I am missing a lot of information in my determination about Baltimore.

All that being said, I am looking for books/newspapers/websites about the history of this stuff. I want to read about the riots (I know the paper did a good article on it last winter...it was right when we had first moved to Baltimore and it was really helpful) but I find most of the information to be lacking in perspective...as in I feel like I am missing some important peices of information about the events that led up to the riots. (e.g., the L.A. riots didn't just appear out of nowhere, there was a long history of housing restrictions, job restrictions, etc. that fueled it for decades before any rioting actually occured) That's the kind of information I want to know.

I know this sounds kind of stupid but...you know, this is my city...I think it's history is really important in understanding the type of city it is now.
Not sure the "riots" had that much to do (some, I'm sure) with the bombed out neighborhoods. More economic issues I believe.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:22 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimore's best View Post
Not sure the "riots" had that much to do (some, I'm sure) with the bombed out neighborhoods. More economic issues I believe.

100% correct.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 PM

41 posts, read 182,786 times
my bad....one of the locals told me that was the story behind the particular area I was asking about so I guess that's specifically what I mean.

Regardless, how would anyone know what I'm really talking about if I don't say what street/building?
And especially since that wasn't really the question at all.

guess I'll just go back to trolling the library for someone who knows instead of posting on the internet.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM

29 posts, read 117,728 times
What area of Baltimore are you talking about? Since the riots there are areas of Baltimore that never re-established a shopping area, some area were regentrifide, some areas people left, etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,989 times
if you were on pennsylvania ave then there is a chance that you saw vestiges from the riots. i dont understand the racial tension here because i am from th eeastern shore and i grew in a very small community and what i hear the black people say up here are really harsh about whites, but many are very nice and cordial to them. i am black by the way. You missed the symposium that a local Jewish organization held on their involvement with the riots. I had the flyer for it but i couldnt go because i had class that night.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,959 times
The University of B-more offers a map for a self-directed driving tour of locations damaged by the riots:

Driving Tour

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 AM

689 posts, read 3,215,689 times
By the way, I think it's important to point out that your question wasn't stupid at all. Thank you for taking the time to study and understand the city instead of making snap judgements. With that kind of attitude, you have a decent chance of having a great life here.

Welcome to Baltimore!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore