U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,428,177 times

Advertisements

www.baltimoreexaminer.com >> Antero Pietila
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:39 PM

57 posts, read 273,525 times
I think the article was spot on. Mencken's bigotry is off-putting, but that's not why I read him. There is so much wit and wisdom in his writing, that I'd be glad to see him replace Poe as the preeminent Baltimore literary icon.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM

Default Phadelphia wants to take Poe away

Philadelphia, Baltimore Battle Over Edgar Allan Poe : NPR
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/06/us/06poe.html

Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM

57 posts, read 273,525 times
It's funny. I grew up in Missouri, and had always associated Poe with Baltimore. It was only when I moved out here that I learned how much of his life was spent everywhere else. Great writer and all, but Mencken has a lot more relevance, and he certainly makes me laugh more.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:09 AM

156 posts, read 751,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas1882 View Post
It's funny. I grew up in Missouri, and had always associated Poe with Baltimore. It was only when I moved out here that I learned how much of his life was spent everywhere else. Great writer and all, but Mencken has a lot more relevance, and he certainly makes me laugh more.
From the Baltimore E.A. Poe Society website:

Although Richmond is the place Poe most considered home, Baltimore defines the beginning and the end of his life...

Poe left Baltimore for Richmond, Virginia in August of 1835. He never again made a home in Baltimore...

Although Bmore likes to claim Poe, as it does Babe Ruth, Poe (and Ruth) have only incidental connections to the city.

Baltimore has a much closer connection to Tupac Shakur, which for some reason is not publicized.

In 1984, his family relocated to Baltimore, Maryland,[12] After completing his second year at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School he transferred to the Baltimore School for the Arts, where he studied acting, poetry, jazz, and ballet. He performed in Shakespeare plays, and in the role of the Mouse King in The Nutcracker.[11] Shakur, accompanied by one of his friends, Dana "Mouse" Smith, as his beatbox, won most of the many rap competitions that he participated in and was considered to be the best rapper in his school.[13] Although he lacked trendy clothing, he was one of the most popular kids in his school because of his sense of humor, superior rapping skills...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Passing through

Lots of people who passed through Baltimore claims as its own. A case in point is Billie Holiday. A Pennsylvania Avenue statue, which is under reconstruction, erroneously claims that she was born in Baltimore. Not so. She was born in Philadelphia and a birth certificate exists to prove that. Yes, she did live in Baltimore for a while, but it's arguable whether this was her hometown.
There are lots of other people with proven Baltimore roots. But I guess it is a sign of a city with an inferiority complex to claim notables that only have a flimsy Baltimore connection.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM

156 posts, read 751,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Lots of people who passed through Baltimore claims as its own. A case in point is Billie Holiday. A Pennsylvania Avenue statue, which is under reconstruction, erroneously claims that she was born in Baltimore. Not so. She was born in Philadelphia and a birth certificate exists to prove that. Yes, she did live in Baltimore for a while, but it's arguable whether this was her hometown.
There are lots of other people with proven Baltimore roots. But I guess it is a sign of a city with an inferiority complex to claim notables that only have a flimsy Baltimore connection.
...and to hang on to things that once were-National Bohemian Beer. Go to Conkling and O'Donnell and you get the feeling that Natty Boh is actually still brewed there (or at least somewhere in Bmore). Not. Are we that desperate for some kind of identity. Yes I know about John Waters et al, but what is quintessentially Baltimore?

Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,904,476 times
History 101: Let's see, I live in a home over 100 years old among other homes over 100 years old in a city with thousands of homes/structures over 100 years old. And, what did I learn from this? Natty Boh was made here. I suggest to many to actually read a book about the history of the area.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-26-2008 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: removed "illiterate" comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore