Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,983 times

Advertisements

I am seeking information regarding crime in the Beechfield neighborhood of Baltimore. My ex-wife moved there, and I fear it is dangerous for my kids during the time they spend with her. Her house is right by the National Cemetary, on Frederick Avenue. They are both quite young, under 6. Any help in confirming or alleviating my fears is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 20,661 times
It has its good neighborhoods and bad ones. The main issue with this area is drugs. A lot of county folks come down this way and ourchase their stuff. It is really bad along the city/ county line near Yale Ave and Beechfield. Good luck if you report anything. I wouldny suggest sending your children to ANY of the schools around that area. Too many section 8 and single parent households.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,983 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. My kids will go to school in Ellicott City where I live, so schooling isn't a problem. My experience with city life is limited. I don't want to jump to any conclusions formed by my Ellicott City suburban lifestyle, but this just seems like a bad area, especially for two kids with no city skills whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:54 PM

181 posts, read 633,455 times
If those kids are that young and under mom's oversight, there should be no problem.
It's not a great area, but those kids are too young to be affected. Now when they get to be 14..........

Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default My take

In the long term, improvements are coming to Beechfield. Ryland is currently marketing new condos built on a hillside site off Frederick Avenue that once was to house a community for the blind and deaf. Will there be any takers? The Uplands redevelopment project, which is funded by the feds and the city, will also change the population mix. With the funding already approved it is unlikely to be delayed.
The area near Frederick and Yale is not the real problem area. The problem area is Irvington. Despite one of the most attractive streets in the entire city, Augusta Avenue, the place is still going downhill. Again, a big rental complex has been demolished for new houses and a strip along Frederick Avenue also was cleared, but neither project is likely to go ahead in the current economic environment.
Years ago I conceived my own redevelopment plan for Irvington and you, dear readers, are now the first people to learn about. I thought that Irvington would be an ideal area for the resettlement of Vietnamese refugees. With extended families they could transfer all those big frame homes into viable and well-cared homes. Also, since many are Catholic, their infusion would strengthen St. Joseph's Monastery church.
St. Joe's high school is at the border between Irvington and Beechfield. Unfortunately, it has not proven to be much of an anchor.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 20,661 times
They have been saying that improvements were coming since 1995 when my parents moved out. I currently live on Cedar Garden and I have to say that it is okay, but the drug dealing is getting ridiculous!! Not to mention the teenagers that seem to linger until 2-3 am. No parents to be found. The downfall of this city/ neighborhood is the lack of morals and parental involvement. Most people seem to think that it is okay to sit home and collect a welfare check. This is the downfall of Baltimore!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore