U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Moving to Baltimore: cost of living, diversity, housing, downtown, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2008, 09:10 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,669 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hello
Let me tell you a little about myself. I have been observing but not contributing to this site for about two years now. I am originally from Colorado (outside Denver) and then the San Diego area. I was offered a position in the Baltimore area about two years ago which is why I started reading the threads on this site. I had never been to the area and was a bit concerned about the move. After reading some of the comments, I became a bit more concerned but I'm a pretty brave white so I made the move anyway.

I am glad I did.

When I first arrived here, I placed myself in temporary housing so that I would become more familiar with the area. I found Towson to be a bit dull. I didn't like the Catonsville location. I love Ellicott City but not Columbia. It was to planned for me. I looked into the Ann Arundel area and everything close to the city seemed to be dominated by Ritchie Highway which I think is deplorable. So, I bought in the city in a neighborhood called Patterson Park. The city had some of the same issues as the surrounding area to me. The neighborhoods I really liked were expensive, to costly for the space I would live in.

Now that I have said all that, this is what I have learned since I have been here:
1. The surrounding suburban area around the city detracts from the city more than the city itself. Some of these areas are truely repulsive. Ritchis Highway. Polaski Highway, York Road and so many other areas take away from the area. It is refreshing to get into the city after commuting to see the organized blocks and planned community.
2. I made the right decision. I love my neighborhood and it's diversity. It has a Latin component which makes me feel at home from living in the west. The area has every type of person there is and I noticed that many areas of the city lack that.
3. For anyone moving here from another place, take the advice you read on here with a grain of salt. Baltimore is well-known for having a high murder rate but it will not effect you if you choose a nice area of the city to live in. I have had more happen to me in San Diego than here.
4. Contrary to what some say in the threads, Baltimore is a gift. There are not many places in our country with this type of housing or density. Mt. Vernon and Charles Street has to be one of the prettiest and most interesting avenues I have ever seen. The homes of Bolton Hill are to die for. The waterfront from Canton all the way over to Fort McHenry is a wonderful space to walk or ride a bike.
5. Some people contributing to this site think Baltimore is the only city with problems. All cities have problems. If you don't want to deal with that, don't go into a city.
6. I want to thank a poster named barante. Your messages and thoughts are always worth reading. jonjj also seems to lead a one-person campaign to always contribute worthwhile information.
7. Baltimore is close to so much including the ocean, bay, mountains, and all of the history here. I have been enjoying that.

There are negatives too. I really hope the entire area starts to support better transit options. I am so impressed with DC's metro and I have used the transit in other northeastern cities. Baltimore needs work in that department. But, if you are moving here from San Diego or Denver, the transit is much better.

This will probably be my only post as I am not into following blogs to much. I just felt a need to add my opinions as a newcomer to the area.
I am sure many will contradict what I wrote. That seems to be a favorite pasttime of some who contribute. Feel free to do so but I just have to say that I have read so many statements on here that if it hasn't changed my opinion of Baltimore by now, it probably is useless.

Finally, my best advice for anyone reading is to actually come to Baltimore and visit it before you make a decision. It has been a marvleous experience for me.

Thank you. Deb.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,513,186 times
Reputation: 1637
Thank you for your comment. Some people don't appreciate all of what Baltimore offers. I actually find it a bit sad to spend your entire life griping about stuff. And, I actually do enjoy Baltimore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Bolton Hill
805 posts, read 1,908,859 times
Reputation: 241
Thanks for sharing and I agree with everything you wrote.

Some of the surrounding suburbs take away from what the city has to offer. Baltimore has some really nice areas but some people just do not want to realize it. Hopefully over time the perception of the city will change because it has for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Bodymore
156 posts, read 728,018 times
Reputation: 46
Deb,
Your opinions are valid and worthwhile, although I disagree. I walked the Canton waterfront yesterday from Merrit gym to Fells and saw nothing but tons of floating trash and stench, sorry but that's the truth. Patterson Park is getting there. The new lighting and benches are an improvement. But, it's easy to call Baltimore a gift if you live where we do. Take a walk up Broadway-not in Fells, but the other end- N. Broadway past North Ave and walk around in those neighborhoods for a while. Baltimore has some nice neighborhoods, but unfortunately many times those of us who live in the nice areas extrapolate that experience to the entire city. That is just not the case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Canton
16 posts, read 36,688 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
I walked the Canton waterfront yesterday from Merrit gym to Fells and saw nothing but tons of floating trash and stench
I have been here in Baltimore for a month now and know the harbor fills with trash and debris after a heavy rain. Maybe if you took a little time to pick up trash when you walk your dog or go to the store it would not be like this.Spend less time complaining and more time helping out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,513,186 times
Reputation: 1637
After any kind of rain storm you can expect the trash to make it's way to the harbor. The city has been in the process of repairing/replacing the sewers and drains which are as old as hell. It's going to take awhile though.
What irritates me is the number of people who litter and for no reason. Drivers also. They finish the cup or wrapper from McD's and then it goes out the window on to the street. There really needs to be a big campaign about it. It doesn't cost money just to pick up litter and not to litter to begin with. (Obviously, one of my pet peeves.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Canton
16 posts, read 36,688 times
Reputation: 14
The litter is the biggest shock about Baltimore. I moved here from KC Missouri and never saw trash like this. I see the kids after school throwing trash everywhere. Doesn't matter to them they don't live in the neighborhood!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Bodymore
156 posts, read 728,018 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgoetz View Post
I have been here in Baltimore for a month now and know the harbor fills with trash and debris after a heavy rain. Maybe if you took a little time to pick up trash when you walk your dog or go to the store it would not be like this.Spend less time complaining and more time helping out.
I agree with your posts on the shocking amount of trash on the streets of Baltimore. However, I'm not sure how you are able to make your comments about me picking up trash or cleaning up after my dog. Actually, I do both religiously. But thanks for your worthwhile advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 AM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,513,186 times
Reputation: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by debnbmd View Post
Hello
Let me tell you a little about myself. I have been observing but not contributing to this site for about two years now. I am originally from Colorado (outside Denver) and then the San Diego area. I was offered a position in the Baltimore area about two years ago which is why I started reading the threads on this site. I had never been to the area and was a bit concerned about the move. After reading some of the comments, I became a bit more concerned but I'm a pretty brave white so I made the move anyway.

I am glad I did.

When I first arrived here, I placed myself in temporary housing so that I would become more familiar with the area. I found Towson to be a bit dull. I didn't like the Catonsville location. I love Ellicott City but not Columbia. It was to planned for me. I looked into the Ann Arundel area and everything close to the city seemed to be dominated by Ritchie Highway which I think is deplorable. So, I bought in the city in a neighborhood called Patterson Park. The city had some of the same issues as the surrounding area to me. The neighborhoods I really liked were expensive, to costly for the space I would live in.

Now that I have said all that, this is what I have learned since I have been here:
1. The surrounding suburban area around the city detracts from the city more than the city itself. Some of these areas are truely repulsive. Ritchis Highway. Polaski Highway, York Road and so many other areas take away from the area. It is refreshing to get into the city after commuting to see the organized blocks and planned community.
2. I made the right decision. I love my neighborhood and it's diversity. It has a Latin component which makes me feel at home from living in the west. The area has every type of person there is and I noticed that many areas of the city lack that.
3. For anyone moving here from another place, take the advice you read on here with a grain of salt. Baltimore is well-known for having a high murder rate but it will not effect you if you choose a nice area of the city to live in. I have had more happen to me in San Diego than here.
4. Contrary to what some say in the threads, Baltimore is a gift. There are not many places in our country with this type of housing or density. Mt. Vernon and Charles Street has to be one of the prettiest and most interesting avenues I have ever seen. The homes of Bolton Hill are to die for. The waterfront from Canton all the way over to Fort McHenry is a wonderful space to walk or ride a bike.
5. Some people contributing to this site think Baltimore is the only city with problems. All cities have problems. If you don't want to deal with that, don't go into a city.
6. I want to thank a poster named barante. Your messages and thoughts are always worth reading. jonjj also seems to lead a one-person campaign to always contribute worthwhile information.
7. Baltimore is close to so much including the ocean, bay, mountains, and all of the history here. I have been enjoying that.

There are negatives too. I really hope the entire area starts to support better transit options. I am so impressed with DC's metro and I have used the transit in other northeastern cities. Baltimore needs work in that department. But, if you are moving here from San Diego or Denver, the transit is much better.

This will probably be my only post as I am not into following blogs to much. I just felt a need to add my opinions as a newcomer to the area.
I am sure many will contradict what I wrote. That seems to be a favorite pasttime of some who contribute. Feel free to do so but I just have to say that I have read so many statements on here that if it hasn't changed my opinion of Baltimore by now, it probably is useless.

Finally, my best advice for anyone reading is to actually come to Baltimore and visit it before you make a decision. It has been a marvleous experience for me.

Thank you. Deb.

Deb, Yesterday I walked around Patterson Park and took some photos of the neighborhood. I thought you would appreciate them. They can be found here:
My Neighborhood in Baltimore: Patterson Park - SkyscraperPage Forum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
8,292 posts, read 7,906,407 times
Reputation: 3657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Deb, Yesterday I walked around Patterson Park and took some photos of the neighborhood. I thought you would appreciate them. They can be found here:
My Neighborhood in Baltimore: Patterson Park - SkyscraperPage Forum
Great pics! Thanks for posting them!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top