Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 15,377 times

Advertisements

Next may me and my girlfriend (who is transfering to towson) are moving to central maryland from Ocean City. Being from baltimore myself im very excited to move back but im worried Ill have trouble getting a place due to my age and lack of credit. What do you guys think about this?

Were looking into towson, bel air, parkville or my dream location would be gardenville but im just worried our age will effect the landlords decision over everything. It would be both of our first places!

Also, girlfriend and I both have 0 credit as it is does that look bad? For what its worth, my father owns a business in bmore making over 500k a year so I know he has me covered in case of an emergancy, do you think I could get this word to the landlord? Also im garunteed a job making $10+ an hour and we both payed for our cars flat out, so that cuts down on our expences.

Thank you so much in advanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 AM

11 posts, read 25,390 times
Hey,

2 of my friends and I have moved into these apartments in Baltimore for $4000 a month, so that's about $1500 for each of us. I'm 21, and the other two guys are 22 and 19. The 19 year old has 0 credit, the 22 yro has "good credit" and my credit is fully blown over (don't ask).

We were allowed the apartment apparently. But in your case, why dont you just get your dad to lease it, and then you can pay your dad off? I highly doubt they'll let a 19 year old rent an apartment with 0 credit....too much risk and liability. What about your girlfriend? What's her credit like? I'm assuming she's the same age and also has 0 credit? The best case is to get your dad to lease it off until you have good credit.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 PM

15 posts, read 239,547 times
it probably varies from complex to complex but when i was 19 i got an apartment in columbia with my boyfriend at the time, neither of us had any credit and they wouldn't allow us to have a co-signer but my dad wrote a letter on my behalf saying i was good at managing money but if any circumstance were to arise where i couldn't make rent he would be responsible for the payment.

when you go to look for places just talk to them about it, see what kind of deal they're willing to work out with you.

any place is going to want things like copies of pay stubs to verify how much you make so that's great if you'll already have a job lined up.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Ohhhhh not good so far! I knew this would be a little problem! Im moving 300 miles away from my father because hes crazy controlling and im really looking to be independent so Im kidna iffy to involve him in the lease.

Its crazy to think when I was in my early teens I lived in bel air I had a friend who's brother was 21 and rented a place and had CONSTANT wild partys and really took the place for granted and still got a nice pad! I mean underage drinking drug use and loudness all through the night but nobody said nothin!

Me I would kiss the feet of my landlord I would be so thankfull. I dont ever party or be disruptive Im clean and neat and like to have nice things Ide keep a nice pad, but what shows up on paper is different then what im like in person!

Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM

15 posts, read 239,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC410 View Post
Ohhhhh not good so far! I knew this would be a little problem! Im moving 300 miles away from my father because hes crazy controlling and im really looking to be independent so Im kidna iffy to involve him in the lease.

Its crazy to think when I was in my early teens I lived in bel air I had a friend who's brother was 21 and rented a place and had CONSTANT wild partys and really took the place for granted and still got a nice pad! I mean underage drinking drug use and loudness all through the night but nobody said nothin!

Me I would kiss the feet of my landlord I would be so thankfull. I dont ever party or be disruptive Im clean and neat and like to have nice things Ide keep a nice pad, but what shows up on paper is different then what im like in person!
i think that as long as you and your girlfriend present yourself as responsible adults most places will be willing to consider you. it probably wouldn't hurt to bring a long a letter of reference or two on your behalf, like, if you could get someone (a friend of the family/an employer/a teacher) to vouch for you being a reliable and responsible person.

try looking at places that have an affordable housing program, which basically cuts rent prices in half for people that make less than $45k a year.
if you really have trouble finding an apartment complex that will let you lease because of your credit try looking on craigslist or in the paper, there are lots of places available to rent by private owners that might be more willing/more flexible on the credit thing.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,766 times
With the way todays economy is going,i think you would get real lucky right now, with just about any landlord.After they do a background check, in most cases,as long as you don't have bad rental credit you would be in.I wish you the best on your applications.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Yes I concur. No credit beats bad credit every time. If you have proof of employment and a clean background check, you should be fine.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Oh man cool, thank you guys so much. Im thinking about getting a little apt in ocean city for the 6 months before I move back to central maryland so that will give us maybe a little credibility.

($450 bucks a month for a 3 bedroom ocean block condo? oc oh yeah! Any marylanders here who didnt know oc might be a ghost town in the winter but my goodness you can get a nice place cheap for the winter months!)

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore