Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 29,742 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently living in downtown Toronto. We will be moving to the Baltimore area and are looking for help to narrow down our neighborhood choices.

I will most likely work in Hunt Valley and my husband works from a home office.

We have a 2 1/2 year old son and another baby on the way in March.

We would love to live in an urban setting. Our dream would be for our kids to walk to school and for us to be able to get to the library, parks and other activities on foot. We would live within a short driving distance to farmer's markets and a grocery store that carried a high % of local and organic produce - such as Whole Foods or other chain.

We need at least a 3 bedroom plus den and are willing to buy a shell and rebuild. We'd like to keep the cost to $350k if possible. We get buy with one car now and would like to continue to do that. Ideally we'd be close to the Harbour as that is where we'd likely spend weekends with the kids - Chicldren's museum, aquarium, etc.

So the question is - we've heard many mixed messages about living in downtown neighborhoods -anything from I would never ride the bus and never let my children out on my own to it's the best place to raise kids.

We have also heard there are "hybrid" neighborhoods that are close to some of the downtown neighborhoods, but they offer some homes with more square footage.

A yard and whether or not the home is detached or not is not important to us. We just don't want to spend all of our time in a car.

Obviously with young kids - schools are important to us. We would consider all school options - public, charter, private (as long as the costs were reasonable). We do not want to live in a very suburban area just to get into a good public school system.

Any information or comments would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 01:56 PM

181 posts, read 631,139 times
If you're looking to buy or rent with the parameters you've given, look no further than the Tuxedo Park area of Roland Park, adjacent to Evergreen-a good choice as well. Close to everything you are asking for, including the best public schools in the city, a walkable area, great public library branch, and a nice Whole Foods--as well as the pool where Michael Phelps trains. We lived in Tuxedo Park (called Wyndhurst by the city for 13 years. You can leave your car on Friday and not use it again til Monday (sorry about schleping up up to Hunt Valley, though, you poor soul). You should be able to find a house for rent or to buy in your price range-though probably not in Roland Park proper.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,781,543 times
Default Motion to second

I could talk about other neighborhoods but medfieldbum is correct. Look no further.
Roland Park, a planned garden district dating to 1891, is an unusual neighborhood because it pretty much has everything within walking distance. Restaurants, library, a supermarket, hardware store, travel agencies. It also has a heavy concentrtion of private schools. A light-rail line runs to Hunt Valley but the station, while not that far away in distance, is hard to walk to because on return you have to negotiate a big, steep hill. Two other prestigious neighborhoos, Guilford and Homeland, are within (a longish) walking distance.
There are other possibilities but they lack Roland Park's services. As to the reference to "Roland Park proper," what may be advertised as being in Roland Park often is not in fact. But Tuxedo Park, for example, while not technically part of Roland Park, is closer to the library and shops than some parts that are technically Roland Park. Anyway, those are not the kinds of things you need to worry about.
The wonderful thing about Roland Park is that it has shed much of its stodginess. You will meet many young families like yours.
If you google, you should find plenty of material about Roland Park.

Last edited by barante; 11-25-2008 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 AM

258 posts, read 1,007,900 times
That is a great area. I would also add the Patterson Park area. Few blocks drive from WHole Foods..plenty of shops and restaurants to walk to in and around the area. Closer to downtown/museums that the kids would like. There are three libraries and two good schools to choose from...all of which you can walk to. Hampstead Hill and Patterson Park Public Charter. I teach at Patterson. pppcs.org If you want more information on upcoming Open Houses and "Kindergarten Days"...feel free to PM me. The drawback would be the commute to Hunt Valley....but I am not sure how big of a drawback that would be.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 AM

201 posts, read 587,697 times
The commute by car from Patterson Park to Hunt Valley is easy, 25 minutes in the AM, 30 min in the PM. I do it everyday. Larry

Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 AM

866 posts, read 2,618,334 times
Mount Washington in North Baltimore is another good option. Offering a variety of housing types, it also has a very small village area with a few restaurants. There is a Whole Foods in the neighborhood, too, as well as a Starbucks. Best of all, the light rail stops in the neighborhood, so you could take the train from Mount Washington to Hunt Valley or to downtown, or even to the airport.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM

258 posts, read 1,007,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplanted_111 View Post
I would disapree with Patterson Park. Yes it has trees and grass like a park, but it's actually a gathering place for the homeless, prostitutes and hardcore drunks. The police are generally too lazy to get out of their cars, so the park becomes a great place for these people to gather with impunity.
Aside from a homeless guy sleeping here and there the park is great. Most teachers live right near the school and walk through the park each day. I also take my students through the park each day and have a great time. There a many, MANY moms walking on strollers through the park each afternoon, as well...often times gathering at one of the playgrounds. Its also a great place to do bird watches and other activities with the Patterson Park Audubon...or take in a concert...or participate in all the amatuer athletic leagues it provides. The park is a gem.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 29,742 times
Default thanks

thanks for the responses. We are coming in for a neighborhood scount right before Christmas. We'll check out the areas you mentioned.

One point of clarification - we're looking to spend no more than $350 and the information I found was that the median house price in Roland Park is upper $500K. Is that not accurate? We really can't spend that much on a house.

Also - does anyone know anything about Canton? We've been there a few times and it seems like a nice place. Are there many families with young kids or mostly people without kids?

Thanks again for the suggestions and keep them coming if anyone has more information.

thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 PM

16 posts, read 39,241 times
My wife and I live in Canton. Not many kids here that I have seen. But most kids don't play outside. Safeway is an easy walk but is expensive. I usually drive to the grocery stores. Lots of restaurants and bars within a short walk. Lots of bank repos in the neighborhood so yop can get a good deal.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,549,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondegirl View Post
My husband and I are currently living in downtown Toronto. We will be moving to the Baltimore area and are looking for help to narrow down our neighborhood choices.

I will most likely work in Hunt Valley and my husband works from a home office.

We have a 2 1/2 year old son and another baby on the way in March.

We would love to live in an urban setting. Our dream would be for our kids to walk to school and for us to be able to get to the library, parks and other activities on foot. We would live within a short driving distance to farmer's markets and a grocery store that carried a high % of local and organic produce - such as Whole Foods or other chain.

We need at least a 3 bedroom plus den and are willing to buy a shell and rebuild. We'd like to keep the cost to $350k if possible. We get buy with one car now and would like to continue to do that. Ideally we'd be close to the Harbour as that is where we'd likely spend weekends with the kids - Chicldren's museum, aquarium, etc.

So the question is - we've heard many mixed messages about living in downtown neighborhoods -anything from I would never ride the bus and never let my children out on my own to it's the best place to raise kids.

We have also heard there are "hybrid" neighborhoods that are close to some of the downtown neighborhoods, but they offer some homes with more square footage.

A yard and whether or not the home is detached or not is not important to us. We just don't want to spend all of our time in a car.

Obviously with young kids - schools are important to us. We would consider all school options - public, charter, private (as long as the costs were reasonable). We do not want to live in a very suburban area just to get into a good public school system.

Any information or comments would be really appreciated.

thanks in advance!

For pictures on the Patterson Park neighborhood, you can go here:
My Neighborhood in Baltimore: Patterson Park - SkyscraperPage Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: