Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 04:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,644,987 times

Advertisements

We are interested in a home in Hampden. The high school choices are Western High and Baltimore Polytech. My question how would my kids be treated there? They are white and I know that alot of schools in Baltimore are prodominatly African American. They have been in diverse schools and really enjoyed themselves, but I am curious if anyone has had any issue similar to mine. I dont want my kids singled out. And how is hampden as a neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 03:34 AM

234 posts, read 1,060,712 times
I've heard that Poly is an alright school. Frankly, all Baltimore public schools scare the pants off of me. I wouldn't send my kids to any of them. Hampden as a neighborhood is quite nice though and getting better by the day.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:28 PM

269 posts, read 1,052,799 times
Are you sure that your kids would attend Western and Poly? I thought that Poly and Western were both application only. You may want to double check. Back in the 90s, the homes in Hampden were zones for Northern HS which was part of the reason for Hampden having the highest drop-out rate.

If you send your kids to city schools, Poly, Western, and City are the best ones. There is the largest Caucasian population at Poly - I think. I drive by the students walking to the bus stops on my home (I live in Hampden).

You may also want to consider ACCE Academy which is located in Robert Poole Middle School building. I used to teach with the principal. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2007, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 169,048 times
Default Schools in Baltimore City

The Baltimore city school system is in very bad shape. While some schools are better than others, I would seriously reconsider sending your children to them. There are limited supplies, teachers are treated poorly, there is a high drop out rate, and many schools are in physically terrible shape. Some schools are in the process of being closed down due to their poor shape. The school system is in poor financial shape as well. I live in hampden where parents do anything to get their kids into private schools. If I was a parent, I would seriously reconsider moving into the city if my kids could only attend Baltimore city schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore