Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondernites View Post
Well, my sister-in-law (whom lives in DC) has a newly rentovated property in Coppin Heights. We can stay there for FREE! LOL But after I read the crime reports, I started to look in other areas. , , ,We had many customers ask to set the up a store in their towns because we are something new, even for the east coast. I think we would do VERY well there.
We sell now but ostly to the UK. . .
I don't know Baltimore AT ALL! My husband is from NY.
He moved here (Denver) 6 Yrs ago to be with me. He never want to see NY again.... so his sister said...Try Baltimore.
wondernites -- PLEASE do more homework. The country is sliding into a depression. This is no time to move to another city to start a speculative business that depends on discretionary spending.
Mondawmin might be right for you. But if I were you, I would talk to lots of people who know Baltimore's business conditions. Also, the company owning Mondawmin may go under.
I don't know about Colorado but so few people in the Baltimore area are shopping that a long-time Santa Claus was laid off at a normally thriving suburban mall.
Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 PM

12 posts, read 59,920 times
I have done much homework from the business point of view. We are ready to open by Spring and we are not looking for a profit for 1 to 2 years. DC and Baltimore has many programs and grants to attract small businesses.
I am worried about living to see the returns. My children must live well.
We have a free home in Coppin Heights but I will pay for a safe place for my kids to live. Another reason we want to move East is for my kids to see more to life than what Denver has to offer. Starting over will be hard but we have a great support system with my husbands family in DC.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:44 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondernites View Post
I am ashamed of myself! I should feel good about moving to a place that is "Big City" and mostly black, and I'm black myself!

Denver is not a good place for black owned businesses.

I believe Baltimore is! I know it is a great place with great people there working and going about everyday life.
The news and blogs make it seem as if you must carry a 9MM and a knife at all times.

I love the look and the homes in Fells Point. It is so new to me.....it looks like homes in the movies. I am ready for change but fear has got a hold on me!

I don't want to miss a chance of a lifetime over fear.
Huh...you're black, but say your shocked and surprised about the crime situation in Baltimore? I don't mean to be insulting, but where have you been living...under a rock or something? Most black people are aware of what city life for blacks is in major East coast cities such as New York, Philly, Baltimore and Washington. I don't get it. Also, you stated that your sister lives in D.C. and has a home in Coppin Heights for you to live in for free. Well, what did your sister tell you about the area that she is encouraging you and your family live to live in for free?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
I don't know about Colorado but so few people in the Baltimore area are shopping that a long-time Santa Claus was laid off at a normally thriving suburban mall.
Enough said.
This is completely anecdotal, but I was at two area Home Depots and a Lowe's over the weekend looking for something, and all 3 were very busy. I expected to have the place to myself given the state of the economy and the housing market in particular. There was a lot of traffic on the roads for a Saturday afternoon. Baltimore seems to be faring better than many other parts of the country so far.

I do agree that consumer discretionary is probably a business to avoid getting into for the immediate future.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Huh...you're black, but say your shocked and surprised about the crime situation in Baltimore? I don't mean to be insulting, but where have you been living...under a rock or something? Most black people are aware of what city life for blacks is in major East coast cities such as New York, Philly, Baltimore and Washington. I don't get it. Also, you stated that your sister lives in D.C. and has a home in Coppin Heights for you to live in for free. Well, what did your sister tell you about the area that she is encouraging you and your family live to live in for free?
I said I live in Denver. All black people dont live around crime! I never have. I never had to worry about leaving items in my car or closing all windows before I leave home. We had a bad blood & crip gang problem in the late 80's/early 90's. I knew all of them fools so it was nothing to be scared of.
Here, you can tell a bad person easy! It will be hard there.

My sister IN LAW says it is cool. But I am from DENVER. We don't live like that here! When my husbands family came here to visit, they were shocked to see black people at all. Our so called "Projects" are much cleaner to all visitors form big cities.
My sister in law was born in Harlem NY.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 AM

This is only an observation. Your messages suggest that your family members' say-so guides your life and actions. What do people living in Harlem or Washington know about Baltimore? You need better guidance than that.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
This is only an observation. Your messages suggest that your family members' say-so guides your life and actions. What do people living in Harlem or Washington know about Baltimore? You need better guidance than that.
I am not asking for a guide in life! Lets stay on the subject and tell me about the crime in Baltimore Coppin Heights. I want MANY point of views of Baltimore.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Fine. As to the crime question, you have already stated several times that it exceeds your level or comfort. Baltimore crime statistics show that there is crime. What else do you want to know?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Fine. As to the crime question, you have already stated several times that it exceeds your level or comfort. Baltimore crime statistics show that there is crime. What else do you want to know?
I know....Barante...LOL I know that people are not living in fear everyday. I guess what I'am looking for is someone to tell me that we will be okay.
If B'More is really that bad.....Then real Troops and National Guards need to go clean it up. I want so badly to try a new way of living. The news here makes Baltimore seem like a war zone.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Baltimore is not a war zone but parts of it may seem like that. The area you are looking into is definitely not one of the safer neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore