Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times

Advertisements

To put it into perspective, for the price of a modest 3br, 1 ba townhouse in Fells, you could probably buy an entire block around Coppin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,993 times
Default Keep Searching

I was born and raised in the Coppin Heights area. I raised two strong males in this area. One graduated from the Naval Academy now in his first year at University of Maryland School of Medicine, the other owns his own business as a Ceritfied Master Auto Technician. Now, yes it was not easy with all the peer pressure, but I kept them busy in activities and in the church. I demanded success and it paid off. I am also a graduate of Morgan State University, Coppin State University, and University of Maryland. Keep searching, this area has been through a lot and is now going through a positive revitalization. Think hard about where ever you decide to go and watch their friends, and be mindful where ever you go.

Banks40

Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I think the OP wants to move to a nice place that would be good for her business and her children. Personally I don't think retail would do very well in most places now, but that's just my unsolicited opinion. OP, esp if you come from another state, you have to be very careful about where you want to live.

Where do people have the desire and money to spend on birkenstocks AND where can your kids get a good education and not have the temptation to join the bloods or the crips? LOL IMO, here:

Howard County - You may want to check on specific areas in the Maryland forum. The area has good public schools, a mix of cultures and good food as well. The income there is good. Probably has decreased a bit because of the economy, but the job market should be relatively good for several years.

Baltimore County - (Caveat: I would not recommend the public high schools in Woodlawn or Randallstown). Northern Baltimore County has nice schools where your kids will be comfortable and safe. Even though the schools are mixed race-wise, your kids will feel comfortable and welcome.

Baltimore City - For retail, I would recommend Harbor East, Hampden's Avenue or the Inner Harbor as possible locations for your business in the city, since the areas has many visitors. Most of the other nice areas in Baltimore, IMO are enclaves and IMO that would be a little harder for a retail business. If you live in Baltimore City your kids can comfortably attend School for the Arts, Baltimore Polytechnic or any of the excellent private schools ONLY. IMO that's ALL for high-schools for guys in Baltimore.

You want your sons to grow up in a nice area that has good schools, and you can find that in a variety of areas in Maryland. All of the suburban areas have apartments with 2-3 bedrooms and amenities for growing boys such as swimming pools and parks nearby.

Wow someone smack me in the head. I can't believe I'm recommending the suburbs... Anyway, I think that's your best bet as far as a good environment for teenaged sons. You really want them to have decent schooling and a non-violent(well not more violent than usual for teenaged boys) and fun upbringing. I think you might also want to watch the mannerisms/speech that they pick up. I would recommend living in the city if you can get the kids into a private/magnet school.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 AM

22 posts, read 170,903 times
I agree... Coppin Heights is not an area to live in and chance it with impressionable teenagers unless you can get them into a magnet or private school. Even then, it only takes one or two bad neighborhood seeds to undo all of your hard work thus far to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Another poster mentioned PG county... it is primarily African American and although there are some rough areas, it is the among the highest-income primarily African American counties in the country. High schools there can be rough because of the fringe areas around DC, but if you can get into a nicer area, there are some great schools (Potomac High and Suitland High are two I can think of that are nice off the top of my head). Do your school research, and I'd recommend taking a closer look at the percentage of students receiving free/reduced price lunch while school shopping. Best of luck to you!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default Update, please

Let's hear an update from the original poster. After all the economic and social dislocation that have taken place in the past few months, are you still thinking of relocating to Baltimore to start a speculative business?
None of that made any sense to me and I tried to say so as diplomatically as I could. As I understood it, the driving factors were: availability of a cheap house in Coppin Heights; a family support network in D.C.
If you are still thinking about this, think and think again. As to the idea of living in PG County while operating a business in Baltimore: NUTS.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 940 times
i live in balitmore and know where is safe to be honest and some people have childern but you cant always assume the worst so yeah in the city people get rapped and killed but that every where so ...... yeah......

Old 09-30-2016, 01:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,158 times
2009......wow.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:55 AM

12 posts, read 17,079 times
Honestly, Baltimore is a lot better than people give it credit for. Check out this Vox article on the inner city. Here's an exerp:

"A privileged outsider’s best chance of learning the nuances of black inner-city life is through visiting neighborhoods with long, rich histories. On storied Pennsylvania Avenue, where famous black singers and musicians played club dates in various theaters throughout the 1930s, ’40s, and ’50s, not much in the way of high-end black entertainment remains. Upton, the neighborhood to which Pennsylvania Avenue’s elite history belongs, is now a high-poverty, low-income area still suffering the effects of the decades-long war on drugs. But it's also home to the only roller rink within city limits. Open since 1983, Shake and Bake Family Fun Center isn't just a place to skate. It offers summer day camp and employment opportunities to neighborhood children and teens — and it's a safe haven for families amid the area’s pockets of high crime."

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Quote:
Honestly, Baltimore is a lot better than people give it credit for
No, it is not! Stop lying to us and yourself. It was better back in the day, but, now....?!!! Come on. Baltimore is the Blackest anti-Black city in North America.

This ain't Harlem! Blacks in Baltimore could have learned from Harlem and other cities around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreDude View Post
Honestly, Baltimore is a lot better than people give it credit for. Check out this Vox article on the inner city. Here's an exerp:

"A privileged outsider’s best chance of learning the nuances of black inner-city life is through visiting neighborhoods with long, rich histories. On storied Pennsylvania Avenue, where famous black singers and musicians played club dates in various theaters throughout the 1930s, ’40s, and ’50s, not much in the way of high-end black entertainment remains. Upton, the neighborhood to which Pennsylvania Avenue’s elite history belongs, is now a high-poverty, low-income area still suffering the effects of the decades-long war on drugs. But it's also home to the only roller rink within city limits. Open since 1983, Shake and Bake Family Fun Center isn't just a place to skate. It offers summer day camp and employment opportunities to neighborhood children and teens — and it's a safe haven for families amid the area’s pockets of high crime."

Old 10-23-2016, 08:48 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
So, where are they now?! Have your sons come back to the community and BUILD for the next generation, or have they become those pull up by bootstrap negroes who leave the community and NEVER give back?!!

Just sayin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks40 View Post
I was born and raised in the Coppin Heights area. I raised two strong males in this area. One graduated from the Naval Academy now in his first year at University of Maryland School of Medicine, the other owns his own business as a Ceritfied Master Auto Technician. Now, yes it was not easy with all the peer pressure, but I kept them busy in activities and in the church. I demanded success and it paid off. I am also a graduate of Morgan State University, Coppin State University, and University of Maryland. Keep searching, this area has been through a lot and is now going through a positive revitalization. Think hard about where ever you decide to go and watch their friends, and be mindful where ever you go.

Banks40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore