Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
The best Chinese restaurant is Hunan Palace, two or three doors south of H-mart in the same shopping center. .
I second that. Delicious, far from average Chinese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
If you're not comfortable around older white Jewish guys you're in the wrong area. You'll see less Jewish women b/c Baltimore has a large orthodox population and the women aren't supposed to work outside of the home.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM

48 posts, read 186,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There are many good things about this region. People are much more laid back and friendly compared to where I used to live in Montgomery County and the pace of life is slower. You deal with less liberal BS and your surrounded by ordinary hard working down to Earth folks rather than the liberal elites and illegal immigrants that dominate the DC area. When you go shopping you actually deal with people who know how to speak English. The area is also more affordable than many on the East Coast. I hope Baltimore's nice qualities is not diluted by the increasing number of transplants from DC, New York, and New Jersey.

This is a fantastic description of Baltimore's hard to pin down charm. Well done.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM

22 posts, read 68,518 times
Hey guys,

I'm a Korean american that will be moving to Baltimore and likely looking to live in downtown (locust point, federal hill, etc) to be close to work.

From reading this thread, there doesn't seem to be any asian pockets (K-town, ChinaTown) in downtown Baltimore - only in Catonsville, Montgomery and Howard county?

I previously lived in LA and New York and am not sure what to expect from Baltimore...

Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
There is actually a ton of Asian food in Federal Hill Locust Point. Too many sushi places to count (many Korean owned), a couple really great Thai places, a Himalayan place, an Indaian/Nepalese place, a fusion place, a guy with a Sushi place (Shoyou) that makes a few good Korean dishes, Chinese carryout and more. Unfortunately there is no Pho at the moment, but there is one about a mile away Downtown.

Last edited by KLynch10; 06-06-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM

Asian-friendly? Sure. Significantly Asian? Nope.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a Korean american that will be moving to Baltimore and likely looking to live in downtown (locust point, federal hill, etc) to be close to work.

From reading this thread, there doesn't seem to be any asian pockets (K-town, ChinaTown) in downtown Baltimore - only in Catonsville, Montgomery and Howard county?

I previously lived in LA and New York and am not sure what to expect from Baltimore...
Asian-dominant communities here are NOTHING like LA's K-town nor like NYC's Chinatown. Actually, there doesn't seem to be really any Asian 'pockets' in this town, you're correct.

I recently moved here from Philly, which has a decent sized Chinatown. I took for granted having over a dozen stellar dimsum, pho, korean bbq places to chose from while living up there. Down here, there are a few places here and there, but you won't find anything like you're used to.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM

You can see remnants of a small Asian community on park ave north of Saratoga ... There is still a dim sum place there.

Howard county is substantially Korean and Asian.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 4,897 times
Default Don't do it

I find this town to be racist towards Asians (far eastern and near/middle eastern). They are only nice to white and black people here, you will be treated as a second class citizen. Cities like NY and DC are much more race friendly and the people are more educated, cultured, and less ignorant. The ignorance in Baltimore is extremely high.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nn365 View Post
I find this town to be racist towards Asians (far eastern and near/middle eastern). They are only nice to white and black people here, you will be treated as a second class citizen. Cities like NY and DC are much more race friendly and the people are more educated, cultured, and less ignorant. The ignorance in Baltimore is extremely high.
I can sense some pain in these words. I'm sorry, if you haven't been treated well in B-more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore